Which Carradice Saddle Bag and Support?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jonnyvelo

Which Carradice Saddle Bag and Support?

Postby jonnyvelo » 11 Nov 2009, 10:18am

Hi - my son and I will be riding across France next summer to ride and watch the Tour de France Pyreneean stages. We need to carry all our kit with us and as we will be riding carbon fibre racing bikes with no facility for panniers etc, we thought the best solution would be to use one of Carradice's largest saddlebags with a QR support. The issue is which bag the 'Super C' or the 'Camper Longflap' - how do you decide? And, a similar question re. the support mechanism the 'SQR system' or 'Bagman Q/R, expedition or sport' which one/how do you decide?

Would experienced tourists with real knowledge of this equipement please offer their advice to an experienced cyclists (in one field) but one with no experience of touring? Thanking you in anticipation.

groberts

Re: Which Carradice Saddle Bag and Support?

Postby groberts » 11 Nov 2009, 11:01am

I use a Carradice Barley with SQR for day rides which works very well. However, the bag is just 7 litres and soon gets full with spares, food, maps etc. The larger Carradice bags (which are all very well made) are 23 / 24 litres - there's a thread on this site which shows somebody cycle touring + tent etc with a Carradice longflap. It's difficult to imagine how he did it but he has the pictures to prove it. The space you will need depends on how long you're away, time of year (weather / clothing), how you intend to sleep and eat (B&B?) etc. I'd probably go for one of the larger bags + a bar bag for daily stuff and convenience.

The SQR fitting is excellent but you need to make sure there's room to fit it. The distance between the saddle fitting and the top of the seat post on my bike is 7cm – probably about the minimum needed. I have a sequence of photos which I can send you if you pm me your e-mail of how the bag attaches to the SQR fitting - can't figure out how to insert them into this thread (anyone know?).

Basically the bag ‘lifter’ fits on the rear of your bag, you then slide the bottom bar of the lifter into the bottom SQR slot, lift it, and then drop the top lifter bar into the top SQR slot, whilst retracting the red lever and then returning the red lever which locks the lifter and thus bag in place. Sounds awkward when it’s written down but is actually very easy and takes 2 to 3 seconds, after which it is very secure. Obviously doing the reverse gets it off! Good luck.

cycle_tourer

Postby cycle_tourer » 11 Nov 2009, 11:23am

No experience of SQR/Bagman fittings i'm afraid, I just use the saddle bag loops. I use the Camper l/f and i chose it over the super c because of the extra room the extendable flap gives me. It's useful to stuff a jacket under/some tent poles etc. I have done shorter tours with just the l/f and super c bar bag, but that normally involved my partner carrying the bulk of the tent and me the poles and pegs. If you are staying in hotels/b&bs and cycling in France in summer then i reckon the l/f will be fine. If you are camping it may be a bit more difficult, depending on the sort of gear you have.

AndyB

Postby AndyB » 11 Nov 2009, 11:24am

I've not used SQR (not enough space on my seatpost), but I do have a (small) bagman, which I also use with a Barley saddlebag for day rides. A couple of things which might restrict your choice are the length of exposed seatpost, as groberts said, and the saddle rails. To use a bagman, you will need some space on the parallel section of your saddle rails behind the clamp, I think it's 15mm. The other issue is how much space you have between saddle and wheel (or mudguards, but I guess you don't have these!) - I think, but I'm not sure, that the SQR system will hold the bag higher than the bagman, so if you're short of space that might be the better option. With either system, beware that the saddlebags are flexible, so will droop a little in the middle and be deeper than the dimensions suggest (although less of a problem if stuffed full).

A camper longflap should be easily big enough if you're not camping, and just about big enough if you are, assuming you have compact gear and pack light.

rapidfire72

Postby rapidfire72 » 11 Nov 2009, 11:58am

I have the Carradice Camper Longflap c/w SQR, good set-up, however you need the minimum space on the seatpost to attach the SQR block which is attached. The beauty of the Camper Longflap is the two deep side pockets which is a single strapped and no zips to be broken. The main compartment is very roomy and can extent using the longer double straps. Also you can get extra gear strapped onto the top flap itself by means of two 22" straps. I have a Carradice Carradura bar-bag which is much lighter than the Super C bar bag and recommended for reading maps, snacks, camera or such.

For camping, I use the Ortlieb panniers bag.

jake

Postby jake » 11 Nov 2009, 12:05pm

This: viewtopic.php?t=16497&highlight=camper+longflap+carradice is a long thread from last year on Carradice saddlebags. The Peter White Cycles link that is mentioned is worth looking at. This is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22574&start=15 that has some great photos of a couple of Longflaps that are full to bursting with camping gear etc.

tiredlegs

Postby tiredlegs » 11 Nov 2009, 12:49pm

Hello

I use the Carradura bag plus the SQR and it all works perfectly. But the Carradura is lightweight, holds a lot and I've never had any kit get wet despite the terrible Summers in France over the last couple of years. It also has loops for attaching a tent, cape or similar

The SQL is brilliant, you can unhitch your bag in 5 seconds.

John

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 11 Nov 2009, 1:58pm

Just to be different, I use a Bagman QR with my Camper Longflap. You'll need the "Expedition" size for a Longflap or Super-C. I use the Bagman because it allows me to fit different size saddlebags without spending any more. I reckon there should be less sway when out of the saddle too.
Similarly to SQR, it takes seconds to fit or remove. With the Bagman you get nothing attached to the removed bag to bite your legs at you carry it, but the Bagman is a bigger and more obvious fitting on the bike.
Probably the main difference is fitting requirements. With the Bagman you need 15-20mm of saddle rail behind the clamp (i.e. can you slide your saddle that much forwards). With the SQR you need enough exposed seatpost. You need it far enough below the saddle to allow for the removal lift, and you'll need a couple of inches between the bottom of the fitted bag and a tyre/mudguard to allow the bag to be tipped back to clear the top of the SQR block. There's also the question of fitting the SQR to carbon seatposts.

Either Camper Longflap or Super C should be plenty of space for Hotel/Hostel/B&B touring. You would probably also want a smallish bar bag for small quick access items (camera) and valuables (money, passport) you don't want to leave on the bike whilst you are in a cafe (having said that, I use a bum bag).

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 11 Nov 2009, 9:00pm

Since you have such light bikes, there may be an issue with your seatposts and saddles: are they sturdy enough for the additional stresses? You may have to invest in a heavy duty seatpost such as a Nitto S83, and or a sturdier saddle (dare I say Brooks, to give you comfort on long rides?). Also, fit the widest tyres that fit your frame, and preferably sturdier than your regular racing tyres.
Willem
Last edited by willem jongman on 13 Nov 2009, 7:59am, edited 1 time in total.

BE1

Postby BE1 » 11 Nov 2009, 9:29pm

tiredlegs wrote:Hello

I use the Carradura bag plus the SQR and it all works perfectly. But the Carradura is lightweight, holds a lot and I've never had any kit get wet despite the terrible Summers in France over the last couple of years. It also has loops for attaching a tent, cape or similar

The SQL is brilliant, you can unhitch your bag in 5 seconds.

John

I have the same setup and would agree although I pack my kit in plastic bags as I like to be doubly safe.

It is not clear if you will camp or stay in B&B. I use mine for the latter and it holds enough for a week (including netbook and a thick novel). Two of you with saddle bags and a bar bag each should have enough space (combined 60 litres in bags plus space to strap kit on top} for tent, stove etc if you are camping.

Whatever you decide enjoy Le Tour :D

jonnyvelo

Postby jonnyvelo » 12 Nov 2009, 9:42pm

Thank you for all your helpful advice. I 'think' we have settled on the 'Bagman Q/R as the support mechansim, I say think because Carradice have non in stock but say they hope to have some in time for our trip. If we decide on the cotton duck we will go for the added versatility of the 'Camper Longflap' but as a result of the replies have added the lighter Carradura bag to our list of options. Once again thanks for all your helpful advice.

frank9755

Postby frank9755 » 12 Nov 2009, 10:15pm

You could try Spa Cycles. They seem to have better stocks of Carradice stuff than the manufacturers do.

Also I'd take note of Willem's post above, in particular if you are looking to clamp to a carbon fibre seat-post.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 12 Nov 2009, 11:34pm