What should I do with my bike when camping?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
myheadsashed

Re: What should I do with my bike when camping?

Post by myheadsashed »

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/10 ... ood-locks/

The alarm only goes off if the cable is cut or the alarm is attacked you can switch the motion sensor on/off
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I use a Lock Alarm as one of the locks on my Trice Q.
I wind the cable between both front wheels.
Not only does it alarm the trike but where it is, it helps to stop people trying to sit on the recumbent trike while I'm not there.
I've also got a heavy duty shackle lock for the back wheel and a cable lock for the trailer.

Luck ......... :D
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Over the years Ive come to the conclusion that people on camp sites are not interested in stealing my pride and joy and my sole method of transportation (not my attitude when camping in the UK) – often when I look around European campsites there are many quite decent bicycles propped outside static caravans that have not been occupied recently – However, I become much more twitchy though when wild camping - has anyone had a bicycle stolen when touring and in what circumstances?

In my early days of cycle camping I took a U lock but very soon realised whilst it was generally effective when I could find something to attach it to – most of the time It was just a large lump of metal I carried around – For the last 15yrs I have carried a 2m long cable lock and a semi-decent combination lock (I am paranoid about locking it up and losing the key) – It’s a bit nominal as anyone with a large hammer could remove it with ease but I assume it deters the casual thief – Ive resigned myself to the fact that if someone really wanted to steal my bicycle there is very little I can do about it.
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

I've done the same as you, stepped down from a proper lock to a small cable lock. Good enough to hopefully slow people down enough that I'd hear anyone outside the tent. Having said that I locked my bike up full loaded outside Morrisons in F' Willaim this September while I went shopping and had a meal. Strange as I would not even lock up my battered old fixed wheel in sunny Woolwich outsides Sainsburies for 10 min with a cable lock.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Very stupidly when I am touring in Europe I hardly ever lock my fully loaded tourer when I am shopping at supermarkets - if I get twitchy about the location I find somewhere else - I just remove the visible valuables and lean it as close to where there is most people milling about - shop fast and suffer the anxiety of waiting in the checkout queue
Helen

Post by Helen »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18769

Here's the link from the same topic a while ago.
braz

Post by braz »

Blimy, Helen - where did you get that 'at?

I've never not seen one like it - not as smart as that!

kind regards, Braz.
herzog

Post by herzog »

psmiffy wrote:Very stupidly when I am touring in Europe I hardly ever lock my fully loaded tourer when I am shopping at supermarkets - if I get twitchy about the location I find somewhere else - I just remove the visible valuables and lean it as close to where there is most people milling about - shop fast and suffer the anxiety of waiting in the checkout queue

I try to go food shopping early in the morning at a shop near to the campsite, leaving panniers etc. in the tent. However, when this isn't possible I take all valuables off bike and leave it chained up outside the shop. I can't say this is a pleasant experience!

Herzog
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

No experience of Eastern Europe which may be different, but in the UK whenever I've camped I've just left my bike outside the tent, with a wheel lock. Not heard of theft from campsites but I suppose it can happen. The wheel lock is great for locking up outside shops as it just takes two seconds to lock - far less hassle than getting a cable or u-lock out.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

sebgiambrone

Post by sebgiambrone »

As it should be :wink:

Thanks for all the replies guys this is really useful and if anything has made me feel a lot more comfortable about the whole thing :D
"You speak for a whole generation when you keep your mouth shut".