What should I do with my bike when camping?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sebgiambrone

What should I do with my bike when camping?

Post by sebgiambrone »

Hi guys

I am planning a solo Eastern European bike tour next summer and have come up upon a slight problem (well I hope its not a problem). As I am a poor student I'm going to opt for the cheaper camping option when possible. But I was wondering what people do with their bikes when they are tucked up in a nice warm tent? Is it safe to just lock it to the closest tree or fence, or should I consider a bulky tent that can fit both me and my bike?

Thanks
S :D
"You speak for a whole generation when you keep your mouth shut".
meic

Re: What should I do with my bike when camping?

Post by meic »

This exact question has been asked before. Unfortunately I am no expert on the searches either.

I have always relied on being well hid myself.
Yma o Hyd
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Certainly lock it to something solid.
Not so long ago I read of the guy who tied his bike to the tent.
Tent went as well. :shock:

Consider a movement / vibration detector alarm fixed on the bike.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
braz

Post by braz »

..............put your bike in the tent and sleep outside.............

regards to all, Braz.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

When away from the tent, even at the toilet block, I lock it to a tree or anything to make moving difficult. At night I pass one of the tent poles through a wheel and possibly pass a lock to an inner tent peg. My resaoning is that if you have to lift the tent pole then I am going to wake up.
Edvardus

Post by Edvardus »

I seem to recall there was a tent which used the bike as part of its support. Whether it's still available I don't know. If I'm camping au savage I usually lock the bike but have it parked behind the tent or sometimes laid on its side to minimise it being spotted. I'm usually pretty well hidden from any public scrutiny anyway.
Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count. - Albert Einstein
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

What about one of these - should deter most people especially in towns. Here is a search on this topic.
Tako

Post by Tako »

cycleruk wrote:Consider a movement / vibration detector alarm fixed on the bike.

I tried this with a motorbike disc alarm lock with mixed results. First, it wouldn't fit a campag triple chainring; 2nd, the lock would sometimes - almost always at least convenient times such as exiting a bookshop's metal detectors - go off; 3rd, wind can set it off, not good if your wildcamping or any type of camping for that matter.

My advice - lock bike to something solid and cover in tarp.
grw

Post by grw »

As well as locking it to something solid, if you have qr wheels, you could usually bring one of them inside the tent with you. I've usually tried to go for a combination of 'security' options - lock it to something solid / lock it to your tent / bring a wheel inside. I've never had anything nicked whicle camping though. Sometimes commercial campsites will have a shed and you can ask if you can lock your bike in there. If you're in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't worry too much.
gareth
herzog

Post by herzog »

A good thing to do is to attach a small bell somewhere on the bike frame. If the bike is moved, bell rings and you wake (hopefully). It's also a good idea to cover the bike with a cheap cycle cover to stop the wind ringing the bell and worrying you unnecessarily! I've also heard of people using fishing wire between the bike and tent pole/tent peg/their leg.
jake

Post by jake »

This: http://www.rei.com/product/779410 could be the answer for you. I've not seen a review of the tent so can't vouch for it. The other "bike in tent" option, the Topeak Bikecamper, has had fairly poor reviews on here.
tiredlegs

Post by tiredlegs »

I always lock it up to something secure. Don't ever leave it unlocked.
John
herzog

Post by herzog »

Or use one of these (www.terra-nova.co.uk/Brand/Wild_Country ... Green.html) although it's a bit of a squeeze and you may need to remove the front wheel.

Herzog
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

jake wrote:This: http://www.rei.com/product/779410 could be the answer for you. I've not seen a review of the tent so can't vouch for it. The other "bike in tent" option, the Topeak Bikecamper, has had fairly poor reviews on here.

I can't see this being practical, as you have to get in the tent first. To pull the bike through the opening flap will tear the tent. Just lock the bike to something secure. Also always keep the bike in view if possible when in bars or restaurants on busy streets.
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

When I went to the York Cycle Show some years ago or when it was the Rally as it was then, I took a basha bivvy sheet with a few bungie straps. What I did was turn the bike upside down, with sheeting like a newpaper or magazine to keep the saddle and bars clean from the grass, mud etc.

Then the basha sheet go's over the bike, peg down one side and bunga strap to the tent in a sort of crude fashion. My idea was really to give me a cooking area because the tent I had at the time, was the North Face Solo 12.