Cycling in Holland Top to Bottom

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
marylaver

Cycling in Holland Top to Bottom

Post by marylaver »

Cycling in Holland.

Hi it is me, Mary Laver, Lands End 2 John O'Groats in my Power Chair, again calling for your help.

My next challenge is driving my power chair from the top of Holland to the bottom. Has anyone done this. If you have can we please open a dialogue.

Thanks Mary Laver :lol:
Will

Re: Cycling in Holland Top to Bottom

Post by Will »

I would recommend that you do it the other way round (bottom to top). The Netherlands is mostly flat, and the countryside is quite open (with very few hedges). You don't get much shelter from the wind when it is blowing (predominantly from the SW).

I am assuming that you are aiming to travel between the most southerly and most northerly points. The most southerly point is about 10Km south of Maastricht. The most northerly point on the mainland is about 6Km west of Eemshaven (on the Waddenzee coast). My map shows a path over the dike at this point, so you should be able to get right up to the sea.

The route would be: Up to Maastricht to pick up LF3; Follow LF3 from Maastricht to Zwolle; Follow LF9 from Zwolle to Groningen, and then cross country from Groningen to the end point.

A couple of websites that can help with planning routes are:

http://www.nederlandfietsland.nl/fietsrouteplanner/ - This site is good for the long distance LF routes.

http://www.falk.nl/ - Good for routes using the numbered junction system (knoopunts). You can plot routes using the knoopunts on this site, and then print out a map with your route highlighted, and with directions. Unfortunately is does not cover Groningen, but it does cover most of the Netherlands.

Will
marylaver

Post by marylaver »

Hi Will

Thanks for that. As you guys normally get it right, bottom to top it is.
Will follow up your links.

Is there a good time to go?

Mary :P
Will

Post by Will »

I usually find it is best to avoid school holidays when touring. Accommodation is a lot easier to find, and you don't have to book so far ahead. The following website gives details of dutch school holidays:

http://www.holidays-info.com/School-Hol ... _2010.html

The weather end of June/start of July can be quite nice, and avoids the start of the school holidays.

Will
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Locals reckon on May as the best month for cycling, as it is least likely to rain: however there are four public holidays to take into account!
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

I'd suggest early May.

We went mid-May last year and we just missed the bulb-fields by a matter of days. Weather was beautiful though - very sunny with just one chilly day and no rain. Also there's a day (I think also) early in May when they switch all the windmills on!
syklist

Post by syklist »

marylaver wrote:Cycling in Holland.

Hi it is me, Mary Laver, Lands End 2 John O'Groats in my Power Chair, again calling for your help.

My next challenge is driving my power chair from the top of Holland to the bottom. Has anyone done this. If you have can we please open a dialogue.

Thanks Mary Laver :lol:

The national route LF3 runs up from Maastricht via Roermond, Venlo, Nijmegen, Deventer, Kampen, Oranjewoud, Leeuwaarden finishing on the coast around Holwerd. This should be signed all the way with green signs (of various types and sizes). There is a set of maps you can buy that are quite good. From Holwerd you can take a ferry to Ameland or along the coast from Lawersoog to Schiermonnikoog if you want to get as far North as possible. See here.

Despite the sense in going South North (prevailing wind is important if you are cycling) I'd be inclined to do it the other way round. North of Kampen the polder landscape gets a bit monotonous although there are little villages along the way that add some interest. In contrast from Deventer going South you cross a few large rivers, encounter some hills and varied scenery and follow a river South for a bit. Plus you end up in Maastricht which is a relaxed and quite international city with plenty of bars and history. Some lovely bits of the Ardennes are just 30km from Maastricht. It is equally easy to get to either starting point (Leeuwarden or Maastricht) from say Hoek van Holland or Schiphol by train.
HTH
Stan
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Will

Post by Will »

I would advise against using the section on LF3 north of Leeuwarden.

Here, LF3 runs along the west side of the Dokkumer Ee river. There are a number of small canals/rivers that feed into the Dokkumer Ee at right angles. To cross them, you have to use small wooden bridges that have steep ramps. Some of them have a metal surface, and have battons for your feet to grip on as you push your bike up. I think you would find then difficult to get up them in your power chair, and risk tipping backwards on some of the steeper ones.

Will
Tony

Post by Tony »

Be aware that a lot of the behind-the-dyke paths have sheep gates. These are usually hung on the slant so that they slam shut. They are an absolute sod with a fully-loaded tourer, never mind a power chair.
I did Hoek to the top as part of my ride from Holland to Norway last year, and have ridden up from France many times. There are a number of ferries on the route, remember that those across canals are free.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Tony wrote:Be aware that a lot of the behind-the-dyke paths have sheep gates. These are usually hung on the slant so that they slam shut. They are an absolute sod with a fully-loaded tourer, never mind a power chair.
I did Hoek to the top as part of my ride from Holland to Norway last year, and have ridden up from France many times. There are a number of ferries on the route, remember that those across canals are free.

Which route did you take from Hoek van Holland up to Norway? Our summer 2009 trip was from Nieuweschans via the NSCR in Germany and Denmark then the boat from Hirtshals to Larvik to get us to Norway.

As regards sheep gates the worst we've encountered are on sections of the German NSCR. Not only do you have the slam shut gates but the grids to stop the sheep walking through, if the gate is left open, are raised a kerbstone height above the ground. The length of the grids is such that the rear wheel of the bike (and thus the weight of the rear panniers) has to be bumped up onto the grid at the same time you are trying to push open the substantial metal slam shut gate.
Cheers
Stan
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Tony

Post by Tony »

I took the LF1 upto the Afsluitsdijk, around to Lauwersoog, inland to Delftzijl. Ferry across the Ems,Ems-Jade canal,then coastal to right bamk of Elbe via Gluckstadt. Kiel canal to Rendsburg,Schleswig,Flensburg.
Across to Tonder in Denmark, and up W coast to Ribe,Esbjerg, Hvite Sande. Across to Viborg, Hadsund, and up East Coast to Fredrikshavn. Ferry to Goteborg, rode up through Bohuslan to Norway.