Bike trailers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
corrickm

Bike trailers

Post by corrickm »

I've just bought a Carry Freedom trailer - I like the idea of avoiding weighing down my bike with camping gear etc. So far I've only tested it locally, but the bike (an elderly Orbit Romany) is MUCH nicer to ride without heavy panniers - in fact it feels just like an unloaded bike (until you get to a hill, of course...). Has anyone got experience of using a trailer on long tours? It seems OK on ordinary roads, but what about tracks and off-road? Are there any big snags?
Thanks, Martin
Si

Re: Bike trailers

Post by Si »

If you do a forum search on "Carry Freedom" you'll see that there has been quite a lot of discussion on just this trailer. Welcome to the forum BTW!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have toured extensively with trailers, firstly a BoB Yak, then Radical Cyclone. I now waiver between the Cyclone and the Carry Freedom.

The Cyclone is much easier in Hotels and B&B as it is a holdall with detachable wheels in the same way as the Carry Freedom is a flatbed with wheels.
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

There's someone on here, his name escapes me, that swears by his CF. Except of course when it's wheels come off. :wink:
Just Rob please.
corrickm

Post by corrickm »

Ooops - you can tell I'm a newbie... 24 pages of info on trailers on the site already! Well, it seems that a lot of other people use trailers successfully, which is reassuring.
Now I'll get down to reading all those posts...
Martin
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Who am I?

I forget ......

Oh yes, Mick!

I have a CF trailer, and apart from the problem of a wheel or two coming off, I love it to bits.
(The problem with the wheels WAS a design defect - all fixed now.)

You'll see my posts all over the place about the CF trailer.
The quote is from another thread.

Mick F wrote:The best/easiest thing is to check out these links to posts on these pages:
viewtopic.php?t=14609
viewtopic.php?t=3201
viewtopic.php?t=14786
viewtopic.php?t=9903

There are more!

http://www.carryfreedom.com/info.html

As you can gather, I'm a trailer fan. I went shopping yesterday.
I bought an aluminium box for mine.
viewtopic.php?t=16398

Regards,
Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

corrickm wrote:Ooops - you can tell I'm a newbie... 24 pages of info on trailers on the site already! Well, it seems that a lot of other people use trailers successfully, which is reassuring.
Now I'll get down to reading all those posts...
Martin

Don't worry Martin we all do the same thing when we start on here. At least now the search function is better than it used to be so you can find things.
Just Rob please.