Thorn v Dawes Galaxy - Value for money?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
j22jbl

Thorn v Dawes Galaxy - Value for money?

Post by j22jbl »

I have always had at least one bike, if not three at anyone time at my height of extravagance (MTB, road and tourer). I had a few touring holidays in Scotland, inner and outer islands etc and a couple of cycle camping weekends, all undertaken on a circa 1995 Dawes Super Galaxy (in lime green!). I sold that bike and regret it now that my family are at an age when we are starting to contemplate some easy tours (childen 6 and 11). I now ride a Specialied Rockhopper with some slicker tyres and a pannier rack - it works okay and we usually head off along canal tow paths and forrest trails, however I fancy a change.

I am thinking about buying a new bike, there are no third world tours planned, and I guess that any touring trips will be focused on cycle ways because of the children. I wonder if I should look at a bike along an MTB setup (like the Rockhopper currently with original front suspension) or move back towards a Galaxy, or something from the THorn stable.

Are the Galaxy bikes as good now as they were? I thought seriously about Thorn but would that be overkill for even thier entry to mid range bikes. I dropped them an email seeking some advice just to help with my research and they have not had the curtesy to respond. Are they a little conceited in thier approach?

Can anyone recomend a good all purpose touring bike, as good as the Galaxy was that will cope with some tow path terrain, carry pannier bags front and rear (rules out suspension forks I guess) and provide durability for many years to come.

I want reasonable value for money, can afford a Super Galaxy at a push but I would say that is the top price......

Hope the above makes sence and I thank you in advance for your help. One last point, I do need some new pannier bags. Any recomendations there?

John
matt2matt2002

Re: Thorn v Dawes Galaxy - Value for money?

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Have a look at the Dawes Sardar - good reviews - but maybe you would want to spend a bit more than £400..?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
julk

Post by julk »

You could put non suspension forks on the rockhopper and use it to tour.

One of my sons has a 10 year old steel rockhopper with 2 forks which he swaps to suit the riding.
It tours very well with the rigid forks, having a long wheelbase and fastening points for a rear rack.

You would save a heap of money.

My favourites for panniers are Carradice Super Cs, I have also enjoyed Vaude and Altura panniers.
MikeMarsUK

Post by MikeMarsUK »

j22jbl wrote:...
I want reasonable value for money, can afford a Super Galaxy at a push but I would say that is the top price......

The ultimate value for money is a second-hand bike. If you are prepared to spend some time looking at the auctions, and are prepared to wait for the right bike, you can pick up a 2 year old Super Galaxy for £ 400 - 500 from fleabay (for example, take a look at the 'ebay is weird' thread). Only buy from ebay if the item is very well described and you feel that you can trust the vendor.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

£400 will buy you a very good Galaxy on ebay - my mate did exactly that and is very pleased. Do a lot of research though.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Odd about the query to Thorn: we bought a second hand Me'n'U2 triplet from SJS last year for our adopted kids and before, during and after the transaction they were really, really good (as is the bike). It is possible for emails to get Lost In Space from time to time, I'd try again.

If the kids are 6 & 11 then it may well be worth considering a Kiddyback tandem for you and the wee one while the older rides their own bike. That will give you a lot more range in what you can do and where you can go.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Big T

Post by Big T »

I'd go for the Super Galaxy. They can be had for under £1000 at Spa cycles. Thorns are overpriced by comparison.

I've got a Ridgeback Panorama, but they're close to £1200 now.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
hamish

Post by hamish »

I have just got a new bike on bike2work. I have 2 Thorns and wanted another but they had gone up in price. I got a Condor Heritage instead before they had to put their prices up. It is a great bike and the only niggle is that the rack eyelet at the drop out is very close to the quick release so I had to trim the end of the rack a little below the eyelet. That could be a problem for some racks. The eyelets also look quite minimalist - they may be strong but don't look it.

It rides very well and I am very pleased with it. It seems very versatile - plenty of room for wide tyres if I want them, no toe clip overlap, stable and stiff but very fast.

I still believe that Thorn bikes are excellent. They are not overpriced in my opinion. They may cost that bit more than a Galaxy bought on offer but they have chosen all the bits very carefuly and do not seem to have compromised on small, unseen but important components.

I will probably buy another one!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Have you thought about a trailer? combined with a rigid carbon MTB fork?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
horizon

Post by horizon »

j22jbl wrote:
Can anyone recomend a good all purpose touring bike, as good as the Galaxy was that will cope with some tow path terrain, carry pannier bags front and rear (rules out suspension forks I guess) and provide durability for many years to come.

Another Galaxy? But seriously, the Kara Kum is usually the answer to your question (given the other points you mention).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

You say you fancy a change, which is fair enough, but then you say that most touring would be done with your kids along cycle paths. That point suggests that your Rockhopper would be up to the task. So anything beyond that will be at your indulgence. And why not? But it's difficult for us to advise you beyond your original remit.

If you really want a change though, I'd suggest going for a quality steel audax type bike, that can carry some luggage, but also allows you to have some fun and get some speed in (if that's your thing). Any extra load carrying can be supplemented by a trailer as our Mick F on the forum does. An eminently sensible thing to do, especially if you only want one bike. In which case a Super Galaxy could fit the bill, but with a lighter wheelset. So a better solution could an Aravis Audax from Byer Cycles, which is made from the exact components you require or can afford.
travelling

Post by travelling »

j22jbl I think you knew the answer already before you posted and I'm pretty sure it's the right one

Thorns are a great bike for touring but i suspect for your purpose over engineered and over budget..normally thier customer service is okay but worringly as they get bigger they do seem to be letting things slip

Dawes galaxy..great bike more suited for eveyday use and as you've had one before i would go there again if buying new

However there does seem to be a movement at the momment of buying older high quality mountain bikes, those with high quality lightweight steel frames quite cheaply (perhaps the mtb section or retrobike uk) and then spending some money attaching the relevant touring kit

Recycling old bike is a much underated thing these days in the age of must have the latest and greatest and please don't show the wife the credit card bill

I recently bought a surly long haul trucker..over here in the states they are brand new at about 620 pounds!..rode it twice and there was no passion about it..I may as well been riding any bike so I sold it and bought myself a fully restored 1982 peugeot p8 racing/light touring bike. Sure it only has 12 gears but i only use 1 at a time and anyone with a rohloff can't comment because an abundance of gears they do not have...but they seem to manage

I have since decided now for every bike I have/buy will be second hand and never again new..over the summer I will be buying an older quality mtb or just the frame and putting one together just as I want it for half the cost of new
I have the lightest bike in the world....then I put my fattest body in the world on it...the only pounds that have been lost are from my bank account
mikeitup

Post by mikeitup »

If you are interested Bike Shed in Crediton are doing the Claud Butler Dalesman for £699 or so.
They are 2008 Models but have Reynolds 631 frame, Reynolds 520 Fork, Shimano Deore & Tiagra components, mudguards and a rear rack. It is a similar spec to the Dawes Galaxy Plus except the CB has a Bor Yueh alloy rack and the Galaxy has a steel Tubus.

I am really pleased with mine.

Sorry mikeitup. The sig just had to go. The forum staff are revolting ! Graham