Ultralight wild camping across western Europe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hippyonwheels

Re: Ultralight wild camping across western Europe

Post by hippyonwheels »

doh, just realised how old this original message is, oh well hope it was a good trip!
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

Use panniers or some sort of carrier. 6 or 7 lbs sounds a little underweight for camping. I have never toured that light except in the UK when I used hostels 95% of the nights, and even in that drought summer it probably was heavier than that. I did a 4,500 mile tour carrying 65 pounds of gear. It was too much and more than I needed and I knew better, but oh well, that's what I did. If you can do it that light, more power to you.
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

Well, yes, the date. I will have to start reading the fine print. That one is probably over and done. But how could anyone travel that light. A spare tube and necessary tools for punctures and such would be a couple of pounds. Then you have a ground pad, and even a light tarp would be a pound. Then there are clothes, beverages, snacks, pegs for setting up the tarp / tent, etc. Fifteen to twenty pounds might be more like it, I think.

I can cross the continental USA's southern tier of states in winter with about thirty pounds of gear. I have done it a number of times already.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ptolemy wrote:6 or 7 lbs sounds a little underweight for camping.

I agree - but it depends what you mean by "camping". As dougieB said above, you don't need a stove or cooking utensils. You don't need a tent either - just a sheet of plastic to wrap yourself in at night. In fact all you need for cycle "camping" in Europe is a passport, some basic clothing and a bicycle. Until we agree on what we mean by "camping" these discussions about weight are going to be somewhat circular.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher