US - Across

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ian.geddes

US - Across

Post by ian.geddes »

Hello, planning to cycle accross the US. I am going to be using one of the routes from adventure cycling association site. Origionaly I was going to be doing the southern tier route but i am now realy worried that it will be to hot to do it from mid April to mid June? I have about 2 months spare at this time. Should I just choose one of the more northern routes? They are a lot longer but I supose that just meens I would have to go faster :)

A word of advice from any one has done any of these routes would be realy welcoming!
ride, reck, repair, repeat
irc

Re: US - Across

Post by irc »

You could do one of the northern routes but only going E - W. Be ready for some cold and wet days at the start in mid April and the possibilty of snow affecting the routes in the Rockies. You may be a touch early for the northern routes. For example the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park doesn't open (after snow clearing) until mid June usually. It is one of the highlights of the "Northern Tier" route.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gttsrfaq.htm

In early June some of the campsites in Yellowstone (on the Transamerica route) are not opened yet.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

But then you may be too late to ride the Southern Tier. Adventure Cycling suggest that "The Southern Tier Route can be ridden between early fall and late spring. In September and May, there still might be some very hot weather to contend with at either end of the route."

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/ ... fm?pg=more

I did a more northern route and I found that after acclimatising I was comfortable riding in temps up to 32c 90f. I got a few days over 100f even in July near the Canadian border. When I got 95-100f days I had to finish riding be 1pm. Or at least get in to shade for the asfternoon and do a few more miles in the evening. By June you can expect 40c plus temps at times in June in the southwestern deserts.

I think a southern crossing may be doable by riding early in the morning if high temps are forecast in the later weeks of your tour. I'd maybe ask on crazyguyonabike and get some local knowledge though.

This guy tried to cycle across the south in August and ended up in hospital due to sunburn/dehydration.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =5644&v=2o

I think if it was me I'd try a fast northern crossing. Washington DC to San Francisco is just about the most direct. Adventure Cycling Transamerica route to Pueblo then Western Express to SF. Under 4000 miles. Should be doable in 2 months. 65 miles a day. This avoids the highest passes in Colorado as well so hopefully less chance of snow issues. An example is ..

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... id=173&v=1
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
ian.geddes

Post by ian.geddes »

Thank you. Thats just the kind of info I was after. I will have a better look at some of the links tomorow when I have a chance.
Thanks again.
RaasayWarden

Post by RaasayWarden »

I can recommend a mix of the Centennial and Western Express ie Newport News to San Francisco starting in April. Began slowly, 50 mpd but finished at 100 so could have gone quicker. In the desert (Utah and Nevada) I started at dawn (0500) and finished at noon - still hot ie water bottles barely drinkable after 1000 but never unbearable. I felt more uncomfortable with the humidity in the East perhaps it was the change: <55 in UK; 85+ in US.
ian.geddes

Post by ian.geddes »

Thanks to both of you. Realy dont want to end up like the guy who was to far south at the wrong time of the year! Think I will keep a little more north!
Why is it that E-W is the way that you have both done it? I was thinking of doing it the other way round as I know people on the west and also have a friend who would be there at the same time. Is it to do with the weather? If I was to do west to east Utah and Nevada may be a bit more barrable with the early summer cooler weather?

irc - why do you recomend the Transamerica to start then switching to western express? Why not just use the western express all the way?

Ian
ian.geddes

Post by ian.geddes »

This would be the route that you are recomending -

http://www.adventurecycling.org/store/i ... m-east.cfm

Called "Western Express + TransAm East"
irc

Post by irc »

ian.geddes wrote:This would be the route that you are recomending -

http://www.adventurecycling.org/store/i ... m-east.cfm

Called "Western Express + TransAm East"

That's the one. The reason for going E -W for a mid april start is that by the time you get to the mountains the weather will have warmed up. I went W -E but I started on July 1st. Even in mid July I had a couple of days when I was wearing waterproofs, full finger gloves, and a wooly hat. Most days it was shorts and T shirt but you are in high mountains where the weather can change fast.

Adventure Cycling suggest mid May to Oct for the Western Express. Starting on the east coast in mid April it will be mid May by the time you reach the Western Express.

You are better getting any cold wet April weather on the east half of the tour where shops, motels, and shelter are less far apart.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

I read a book about the Southern tier a number of years ago by a cyclist that did it.
The 3 points I still remember
1) It was hot, d**n hot (Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam)
2) He fell off a few times due to the heat, fainted and stuck to the tarmac
3) He ended up riding at night.

I'd do as Adventure Cycling recommends, Spring and Autumn.

However on the flip sides it's a good route and Texas is a state with more variety than you'd think.

Good Luck
Neil :D
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
ian.geddes

Post by ian.geddes »

Ok that does make sence. I would be in the hills in early july so it will still be a little nippy I expect. Some thing to look forward to!

About the ACA maps, if you used them. Is there a Uk distributor or do you have to order them from the US?

Thank Neil, I think I have been put of the southern tier for now after reading about the guy who gave in after 6 day. I would like to go to Texas some day but I think I will also find the more northern routes more interesting. I was just thinking about going south to start with as it was the shortest route. I think that is the wrong reason for me to choose a route, if I go all that way there with my bike I want to go some where I want to see and I am not to daunted about the miles :/
irc

Post by irc »

The only place to get the maps from is the USA. Sometimes there are second hand maps for sale on the classifieds on crazyguyonabike but I think many people keep their maps. I gave away some of mine to people I met going the other way and to local cyclists I stayed with. The rest I've kept as souvenirs.

The maps are not essential but do make life easy. On the back they show elevation profiles and give info about services in each town you hit. As well as showing the route there is turn by turn directions you can't go wrong.
ian.geddes

Post by ian.geddes »

I think I will just bite the bullet and order the set from the US. When I was doing my europe trip we just had a road map of all of europe and used that but for this and as I am going on my own its just one less thing to have to worry about.

Thanks for all the useful info. Think I now have my route sorted. Flights, visa and insurance still to do, and not to sure about any of them :?
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

When I looked at it one hassle was getting to the start point with the bike. Not all trains take bikes etc. Nothing insoluble but awkward. Also a huge variation in prices charged for the bike, AA was particularly high.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Barrenfluffit wrote:When I looked at it one hassle was getting to the start point with the bike. Not all trains take bikes etc. Nothing insoluble but awkward. Also a huge variation in prices charged for the bike, AA was particularly high.

Freight trains have priority over Amtrak (passenger trains), so Amtrak trains can have long delays,
you sit on the track and watch endless freight trains crawl past you. Greyhound (bus) is more reliable
and they will take boxed bikes. US airlines see bikes as a revenue source, they figure you'll pay silly
money ($140 one way) to ship your bike. When traveling to a tour here, I ship the bike via UPS
and fly, at least my bike will get to the start of the tour. :(
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
irc

Post by irc »

Why not just start from Washington DC and return from San Francisco. Virgin Atlantic quote around £450 for flying to DC in mid April and returning from SF in mid June. No need to use Greyhound, Amtak, or pay rip off US inernal flight bike fees.

Don't price the flights as single one way flights (hugely expensive) . Click the more options button and it lets you buy 2 flights arriving in one city and returning from another.

Virgin carry bikes free

"Do you want to take a bicycle on your next flight with Virgin Atlantic? Non-motorised bicycles including tandems, in protective box or bag can be carried in addition to your free baggage allowance and at no extra charge.

Please note your bicycle must not exceed 23Kg* in weight.

Please ensure:

* Tyres are partially deflated to reduce the risk of damage.
* Handlebars must be turned in line with the cross bar
* Any attachments must be removed, including pedals.
* Gearing systems should be well protected.

VAA do not provide bicycle boxes. If required these may be obtained from bicycle shops. "
Goinridin

Post by Goinridin »

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm planning on doing the Southern rute in September/October this year with my son and I am finding the logistics a bit overwhelming. We were hoping to go East to West-just seems right somehow. Also was looking at taking my Bobyak trailer with me but looks like panniers would be a better and simpler option. As for the flight bag do people cobble something together to discard once in the USA or do they use a proper bag and carry it with them across the states? After my first tour in France last year I'm well bitten by the touring bug but it all seems so complicated but then I suppose that's part of the challenge.......