gels on tour in remote areas

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jawaka

gels on tour in remote areas

Post by jawaka »

A couple of times i have been unable to find food touring in France. The first time was in the Vercors: I had eaten supply of bananas and then of cereal bars by early afternoon having been unable to find a cafe open. I was getting so hungry I was on the point of asking picknicking tourists for something. Eventually found a cafe but it was 2 hours too late.
Second time was in the Alps climbing col d'Iseran from bourg st Maurice at beginning of October. It took 4 hours and I assumed the summit cafe would be open but it wasn't and because it was out of season, the villages on the descent which are basically tourist/ski villages were all shut up. I had to ride on for about another hour (and against a headwind so I was having to pedal to keep moving whilst going downhill.)
Would these High 5 type energy gels be a good thing to carry and to use to keep me going? Do you have to have water with them, because I had of course drunk my water and was unable to refill
psmiffy

Re: gels on tour in remote areas

Post by psmiffy »

I have never run out of food touring - I sometimes get a bit short of food but I have always got something that I can make some sort of meal from or snack on - It is a matter of risk - I do not tour light - It took me a lot longer than 4 hours from BStM to CdI (including the stop in Val to stock up on cakes) - food = weight = happy - no food = no weight = hungry

A gel is about 90cals - working hard probably enough for 20 -30mins - OK for an absolute emergancy - not for me

And where are you going to buy the Gels?
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

France is a pretty good place for food - only problem is that the shops close in the afternoons so make sure you stop in the morning to stock up!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The advantage of Gels is the amount of energy they have for their relative size. I used them a lot in my distance running days because as a runner you only had a pocket in your shorts to carry stuff, so a small easily opened energy rich and easily/quickly digested energy boost was perfect.

As a touring cyclist, as apposed to racing cyclist, you have more options. More space to carry stuff and you can stop and open something as you are not in a race; you do not need to be able to open it on the run with just your teeth like you can an energy gel.

They do keep for a long time and it is as easy to keep two as it is to keep one really. My favourite are the Power Bar ones that come in some lovely flavours. And yes really you should take them with some water for best results, but that is probably true of most foods.

Edit:
Just remembered something. How about and handfull of REGALAD sweets in each back pocket of your jersey as you are cycling along, easy to open on the move. They are lovely sweets as seen here http://www.frenchclick.co.uk/p-1010-krema-bonbons-aux-fruits-regalad-590g.aspx
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

For touring, you are best off relying on Real Food. It helps if you work out the local opening hours as an early priority.
For emergency use, I'd suggest something relatively robust and non-appetising. That way you won't use it up just because you feel a bit peckish. Powerbars are good.
b1galus

Post by b1galus »

i normally tour with honey stinger gels but as these are hard to find i just buy pots of squeezy honey as a standby or a bag of dates
PW

Post by PW »

We had that problem in Brittany once - Feast of Assumption, everything shuts. I now always carry a few sachets of instant porridge, so in emergencies all I need to do is boil some water.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Random holidays when abroad can catch you out but, in France, I usually find a carrying a spare pain a raisin or two from the mid-morning boulangerie stop does just nicely!
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

I like to have emergency flapjacks buried somewhere just in case the morning boulangerie supplies get obliterated.