Best stove for tour.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
boblo

Re: Best stove for tour.

Post by boblo »

Well good luck. Anywhere nice?
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I think goinridin has gone.

but whilst we're on this most interesting subject has anyone really managed to get a low simmer on an Primus Onmifuel. I know it's advertised as better at a simmer than most petrol stoves, but can you fry fish or other such burnable stuff in a thin pan with it ? cos I've not managed to. been wondering whether I need to find a gauze or somit to diffuse the flame and minimise hotspots in the pan. (anyone seen such a thing)

(using gas on an omnifuel is also not that delicate on the simmer)

Thin lightweight pans clearly make it harder with all stoves, but there's the challenge - it's fun trying to push the camping culinary boundaries
old fangled
Goinridin

Post by Goinridin »

hoogerbooger wrote:I think goinridin has gone.

but whilst we're on this most interesting subject has anyone really managed to get a low simmer on an Primus Onmifuel. I know it's advertised as better at a simmer than most petrol stoves, but can you fry fish or other such burnable stuff in a thin pan with it ? cos I've not managed to. been wondering whether I need to find a gauze or somit to diffuse the flame and minimise hotspots in the pan. (anyone seen such a thing)

(using gas on an omnifuel is also not that delicate on the simmer)

Thin lightweight pans clearly make it harder with all stoves, but there's the challenge - it's fun trying to push the camping culinary boundaries

Haven't gone yet, I'm going in June with another change of plan, this time bike express to Perpignan, cycle through the Pyrenees and then back up the coast to Britanny :D Anyway I ended up buying a Bluet micro plus campingaz with easyclic plus connection, should be able to obtain the canisters in France seeing as its a French company.

Anyone with any good routes through the Pyrenees South to North?
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Nutsey wrote:Isn't gas cheating?

I intend to use wood! :|

Most camp sites do not allow open fires and when wild camping you have to be careful and considerate if having a wood fire. In general it's better not to. Leave no trace e.t.c
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

TheBrick wrote:
Nutsey wrote:Isn't gas cheating?

I intend to use wood! :|

Most camp sites do not allow open fires and when wild camping you have to be careful and considerate if having a wood fire. In general it's better not to. Leave no trace e.t.c

I meant with a proper wood burning device, not just willynilly. Like this > http://www.bushbuddy.ca/
Tako

Post by Tako »

I have a Bushbuddy and l use it with a DIY meths stove. Of course, you have to exercise greater caution but so far l haven't had any problems.
I have used it on camp sites and farmer's fields. In fact, they are ALWAYS intrigued and want to know more about it. Once l tell them how it works and how it doesn't scar the ground, usually by picking it up at the base to demonstrate, they leave with a smile. Or maybe l come across as a charming, responsible gentleman!

Re: bad weather. You can cook outside beneath some shelter or take a tarp to extend you tent porch, or take a small back up meths stove.
Re: bugs. The smoke helps keeps biting insects at bay.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

During the summer term we take our Cubs outside, where we have laid out these rusty cut open oil drums. There we proceed to fill them with wood, talk about the safe use of matches and let them have a go at lighting a fire. Once lit, we drag these wire grills out, place them on top and cook sausages. I go home filthy and smelling of smoke, but the sausages always taste lovely. Yum. :D We also make up dough and twist it round sticks which we hold over the fire, delicious! Two weeks ago, the Scouts were slitting open bananas to put chocolate inside, then wrapping in tinfoil to cook. You can't beat a real wood fire for sheer entertainment value.
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Nutsey wrote:I meant with a proper wood burning device, not just willynilly. Like this > http://www.bushbuddy.ca/

Ah got ya. I've made a little DIY wood stove and it's grate fun, however I would not want to have to rely on it as an extended wet period can make it's use impossible (for me at least). I also took a back up DIY meths stove and used the wood stove as a wind break when using this stove. My preferred design was "A better soda can stove". Required priming but very efficient. Sainsburie's traditional lemonade cans have a nice base for this stove.