LEJOG Route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chriss

LEJOG Route

Postby chriss » 8 Jan 2007, 8:38pm

Hi
I am planning a ride from LE to JOG in May/June time. I would prefer a route that where possible keeps of the main roads and possibly travels on some of the Sustrans / CTC cycle routes, can anybody suggest a route and or map???
Thanks
Chris

Graham

Postby Graham » 8 Jan 2007, 9:17pm

You may need a CTC End to End Pack . . .
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3397
There are alternatives though. Get googling.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Jan 2007, 10:59pm

Hi Chriss,

Main roads and Sustrans are a contradiction in terms.

I've done JOG to LE in '94, and LEJOGLE only last July. I stayed on the shortest route I could get, taking in YHA as I went. Mind you, I live on the Cornwall/Devon border and have a sister in Wrexham.

My route was:
LE
via Truro, St Austell and Liskeard to Gunnislake
via Tavistock, Okehampton, Crediton and Taunton to Street
via Bristol, the Old Severn Bridge, the Wye Valley to Welsh Bicknor
via Leominster, Ludlow, Shrewsbury to Wrexham
via Chester, Frodsham, Wigan, Preston, Garstang to Arnside
via Kendal and Penrith to Carlisle
via Hawick, Selkirk and Galashiels to Edinburgh
via Forth Road Bridge, Kinross and Perth to Pitlochry
over the Grampians to Inverness
via The Black Isle, crossing the Cromarty and Dornoch Firths to Helmsdale
via Latheron to JOG

and back ....

I kept to A and B roads, but with the occasional major A road, and followed Sustrans over the Grampians instead of the modern A9.

890 miles or so each way. It's difficult to do it much shorter.

Only took 3 weeks ....

Hope that helps!

Mick F. Cornwall

2Tubs

Re: LEJOG Route

Postby 2Tubs » 9 Jan 2007, 12:22pm

chriss wrote:Hi
I am planning a ride from LE to JOG in May/June time. I would prefer a route that where possible keeps of the main roads and possibly travels on some of the Sustrans / CTC cycle routes, can anybody suggest a route and or map???
Thanks
Chris

You can have a look at our route (check the "Ride Diary" rather than the "Route" page): -
http://www.hotshot-it.co.uk/sw/
I am still putting finishing touches to this site (the Diary is nearly written and the pictures are almost fully gimped)

For a list of E2E routes and journals look at: -
http://www.bikereader.com/e2e.html
and: -
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm

And Because it's a darned fine account of the trip and they had the forsight to put the journal into a pdf document, look at: -
http://www.beewee.co.uk/JOGLE2005index.htm
I used this one (along with the CTC E2E pack and a couple of books) when planning my own

Hope that helped.

And don't pay too much attention to Mick F, he'll have you doing Berridale Brea twice in one day >;o)

As for using the NCN, make sure you don't have a road bike with skinny tyres. Anything less than 35mm will sink 6 inches into the mud. Having said that, I used the NCN in between Luss and Glasgow. I also used parts of it in Somerset and Devon.

Gazza

robgul

Re: LEJOG Route

Postby robgul » 9 Jan 2007, 6:01pm

2Tubs wrote:
chriss wrote:Hi
Thanks
Chris

You can have a look at our route (check the "Ride Diary" rather than the "Route" page): -
http://www.hotshot-it.co.uk/sw/

And Because it's a darned fine account of the trip and they had the forsight to put the journal into a pdf document, look at: -
http://www.beewee.co.uk/JOGLE2005index.htm
I used this one (along with the CTC E2E pack and a couple of books) when planning my own

Hope that helped.

Gazza

Ah, that's me - I've had some trouble logging on hence arriving late! Our route is available as a 204page map book for a modest charity donation.

Rob

julk

Postby julk » 9 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Chriss,
I can only cover the Edinburgh/Carlisle section, but I hope the following part route will fit your criteria of avoiding main roads and using Sustrans routes where possible. It will be slower and longer than the shortest A7 route which was used by Mick F.

Edinburgh to Carlisle :-

NCR1 Coast and Castles - Edinburgh south to Innerleithen, then south east towards Kelso down the Tweed valley. This is almost all off main roads. Leave NCR1 at Kelso.

(It is quite feasible take a short cut and to go Galashiels/Selkirk/Hawick on the A7 to save some distance. But Selkirk/Hawick is all hilly and it is on a busy main road.)

A698 south west from Kelso to Hawick following the Teviot valley, sorry its hard to find useful minor roads here, this stretch is about 20 miles.

B6399 south from Hawick, joining the B6357 about a mile before Newcastleton, onwards south until about 3 miles before Canonbie taking the B6318 left/downhill to cross the Liddel Water and then after a mile take the next right south for about 6 miles in to Longtown.

This Kelso/Longtown section of the route not covered by Sustrans is close to the old borders railway route.

Join NCR7 in Longtown head south, then west to the west side of M74, then south into Carlisle.

If you are camping then there are camp sites at Longtown, Hawick, Kelso, Selkirk. My back lawn is available at Dalkeith (just SE of Edinburgh and 1 mile off NCR1). There are plenty of B&Bs in the borders.

I wish you well for your journey.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 10 Jan 2007, 3:51pm

julk, where were you a few weeks back when I came through Dalkeith in the pouring rain looking for a campsite. Ended up at one down by the shore near Leith.

Regarding LEJOG. Once in Scotland my favoured route is up the West Coast to Fort William. Go through Dumfries and Galloway towards Ayr. Follow the coast up to Greenock then ferry to Dunoon. From there make your way through beautiful scenery to Connel Bridge then up the coast to FW. Much the better route.

Problem with back roads in England is they are very hilly with long detours. Much of the A38 out of the West Country is fairly quiet and the same for the main roads and A6 North of Wigan. I use them very often and get no prolems.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

vernon

Postby vernon » 10 Jan 2007, 10:12pm

bikepacker wrote:julk, where were you a few weeks back when I came through Dalkeith in the pouring rain looking for a campsite. Ended up at one down by the shore near Leith.

Regarding LEJOG. Once in Scotland my favoured route is up the West Coast to Fort William. Go through Dumfries and Galloway towards Ayr. Follow the coast up to Greenock then ferry to Dunoon. From there make your way through beautiful scenery to Connel Bridge then up the coast to FW. Much the better route.

Problem with back roads in England is they are very hilly with long detours. Much of the A38 out of the West Country is fairly quiet and the same for the main roads and A6 North of Wigan. I use them very often and get no prolems.

try using http://www.viamicheling.com as a route planning aid. There is a bike option and the routes chosen are normall the most direct yet major road avoiding ones. I use the site to plan 100km and 200km rides and have found it to be very useful and accurate.

as for route selection. By all means read otheres choices but use their descriptions to guide you own personal choice of route.

There is one strewtch of road that I urge you to avoid at all costs and thats the stretch of the A74 between Carlisle and Gretna Green. I used it last year for the first and what is destined to be the only time on a bike. The road is a motorway in all but name with high speed, high density traffic with a constriction as it crossess an iron bridge. It was the scariest experience that i've ever had on a bike.

2Tubs

Postby 2Tubs » 11 Jan 2007, 9:45am

vernon wrote:
bikepacker wrote:julk, where were you a few weeks back when I came through Dalkeith in the pouring rain looking for a campsite. Ended up at one down by the shore near Leith.

try using http://www.viamicheling.com as a route planning aid. There is a bike option and the routes chosen are normall the most direct yet major road avoiding ones. I use the site to plan 100km and 200km rides and have found it to be very useful and accurate.

as for route selection. By all means read otheres choices but use their descriptions to guide you own personal choice of route.

There is one strewtch of road that I urge you to avoid at all costs and thats the stretch of the A74 between Carlisle and Gretna Green. I used it last year for the first and what is destined to be the only time on a bike. The road is a motorway in all but name with high speed, high density traffic with a constriction as it crossess an iron bridge. It was the scariest experience that i've ever had on a bike.

I too used the A74 as we planed one of our stops at the travel lodge along it's road, about 4 or 5 miles north of Carlisle.

I didn't find it too bad, but we did use the hard shoulder rather than the inside lane and this gave us a good deal of room. I would suggest that if anybody finds themselves on this or a similar road to do the same.

I found some of the narrow roads in Devon and Cornwall more initiating from the traffic.

Gazza

chriss

Postby chriss » 11 Jan 2007, 1:48pm

thanks very much for all your replies - much appreciated
chriss :D

tomrussell

I got a great book when I did it

Postby tomrussell » 12 Jan 2007, 5:25pm

I bought a book called "Bike Britain", writen by Paul Salter (Under a tenner, from Amazon). It's a great book, as it includes really useful advice (what to pack, for example) for the first few pages, then the rest is the route - with maps and googlemaps-style detailed directions on every page. It saves having to print off or buy loads of maps thus saving money and weight.

The route it suggests is 950 miles (only a little more that the shortest distance) but avoids all main roads (though you are on surfaced routes the whole way not on footpaths or anything!!) It's split into 21 days averaging 45 miles and points out campsites, hostels, hotels, B&Bs, bike shops, information centres etc. all with phone numbers and prices (where applicable) so you can book ahead if you want. He also includes about a page of text per day on the history/beauty etc of the area - some might say it's a waste of space/weight but part of the fun of the end-to-end is actually admiring the beauty and he tells you what's worth noting on the way, telling you a bit about it!

Anyway like I said I found it more than worth its weight in gold and have absolutely no regrets about buying it whatsoever. It saved me hours of planning. The only thing it could add in a future edition is showing the Nat. cycle network and what bits you could do on it - currently it's all on road (but quiet roads)