Thanks for this section

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikepacker

Thanks for this section

Postby bikepacker » 10 Jan 2007, 3:53pm

I would just like to express my thanks to the Administrators for creating this Touring section. Thanks again.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

reohn2

Re: Thanks for this section

Postby reohn2 » 10 Jan 2007, 7:59pm

bikepacker wrote:I would just like to express my thanks to the Administrators for creating this Touring section. Thanks again.

I'll second that :D

Jac

Postby Jac » 11 Jan 2007, 12:37pm

Me too. :D

I had begun to think that the CTC was trying to distance itself from touring especially after a radio 4 proramme recently when a CTC spokesman (sorry did not note his name) said that cycling a mile or two was touring.

Fonant

Postby Fonant » 11 Jan 2007, 1:10pm

Jac wrote:I had begun to think that the CTC was trying to distance itself from touring especially after a radio 4 proramme recently when a CTC spokesman (sorry did not note his name) said that cycling a mile or two was touring.

It was Mark Waters. I think his point was that Touring, to him, meant any cycle ride purely for pleasure, the presenter having said that he couldn't imagine himself cycle touring. The implication was that anyone could be a cycle tourist (and, perhaps, that the CTC is not a bunch of long-distance plus-four-wearing wierdos?).

He answered the question "So Mark, what do we mean by the term Cycle Tourism - presumably it covers quite a range of experiences?" with:

"Absolutely, it covers a vast range, in fact I describe it as being an end to itself and not a means to an end. So if you're a cycle commuter, you're not touring, if you're racing, you're not touring, but virtually everything else is touring."
"Just heading off wherever the road takes you?"
"Absolutely. You want to leave home on your bike and go for a ten-mile circuit, yeah, you're touring."
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.

Terry T

Postby Terry T » 11 Jan 2007, 6:13pm

A mile or two is just a trip to the paper shop isn't it? :D

horizon

Postby horizon » 12 Jan 2007, 10:20pm

We had a long discussion about touring on the old message board. I have always understood touring to mean going from place to place and staying overnight. Anything less is a cycle ride. Anything place to place, overnight and off road in a foreign country is an expedition.

This definition puts touring in a league of its own as it means leaving support (car, own house, base etc) behind and travelling with one's possessions for the journey. That's why so few people do it.

And that's what makes it so special.

Simon L6

Postby Simon L6 » 13 Jan 2007, 9:19am

I'd have thought
1. No body of people in this country is better qualified to set out the possibilities of touring than the CTC
2. This board would, in part, do that very thing.
It's all yours, peeps.

(I've already used the word touring in the sense of riding for a single day on the DA page. Feel free to point out the error of my ways)

Terry T

Postby Terry T » 13 Jan 2007, 4:10pm

My own interpretation of what touring is would not qualify under the "rules" listed by previous posters.
Touring is whatever you want it to be, however, racing isn't touring.
Taking an interest in the journey, amongst many other things, is.
Touring is many things to many people, and does it really matter what each of us decides to pigeon-hole it as?

Si

Postby Si » 13 Jan 2007, 5:03pm

Have to agree with Terry.

I see touring as a ride where the ride is more important than getting to the destination! Could be 6 months of wild camping in the back of beyond, could be catching a quick 15minute spin before starting work.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 14 Jan 2007, 11:27am

Almost everyone has a different view on what is 'cycle touring'. My thoughts are that a tour should cover more than a one day ride from a fixed base.

I did meet a couple who told me very seriously that they were 'cycle campers'. Yet they went to campsites in their car, they had a very large tent, and cycled around the area.

Not knocking them. Just don't think they were 'cycle campers'.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

Jac

Postby Jac » 14 Jan 2007, 1:09pm

I agree.
To be touring I think there must be some element of packing a few things and setting off somewhere - not just a short loop round and back home for tea.

More importantly, the programme in question (excess baggage) was about cyclists setting out on very extended tours and was an opportunity for the CTC to extol the virtues and joys of touring on ones bike. Perhaps short tours but not those that last only an hour.
I understand that the CTC would like to appeal to everyone but 'excess baggage' had already illustrated what an odd lot we are - prepared to set off half way round the world with a few possessions and just a bike.

horizon

Postby horizon » 15 Jan 2007, 12:40am

terry T: I think it is quite important to find a word for it as it is something that is special in its own way. Because cycle "touring" is quite unusual (you can test this for yourself by going on a tour and counting the number of people you meet on the way doing the same thing), it can be vulnerable to ill considered changes. For example, I took my daughters and their friends on a couple of cycle tours; the only practical form of accommodation was the YHA. Hostel closures have now made those same trips impossible. If four people take their bicycles on a cross channel ferry, they will pay more than four people and a car with their four bicycles. When roads are "improved", cycle touring can become dangerous and unpleasant. Cycle touring is like a delicate flower - we have to name it in order to preserve and protect it. Many people, from railway companies and car drivers to hostel managers and airlines, cycling correspondents who dislike panniers (Matt Seaton) and bike shops that don't like touring bikes, are unsympathetic or even downright hostile to cycle tourists. That's why it is helpful to distinguish it from a 4x4 charging past loaded with the kids' mountain bikes on its way to a "cycle path" for the afternoon. Cycle touring, depending how you define it, may be dying out, so it is worth, I feel, understanding exactly what we do actually mean by it.

CJ

Postby CJ » 19 Jan 2007, 3:12pm

It seems only to be cyclists, perhaps especially those who approach the topic from a background of cycle-racing, who have a problem and tie themselves in semantic knots over the definition of cycle-touring.

Forget the "cycle" bit for a moment, and all becomes clear. Touring, tourist and toursim are common everyday terms, well understood by the man-in-the-street. Cycle-touring, -tourist and -tourism is just the same thing, but with a pedal cycle as the primarly means of transport rather than a car or bus etc. Catering for day-trippers is nowadays recognised as part and parcel of the tourism industry, so I don't see why day-rides can't likewise be touring.

Far from being an end in itself, cycle-touring is one of the several practical applications of cycling - like cycle-commuting. The unique advantage of using a pedal cycle for touring, is that it combines the sight-seeing and transportational aspects of the activity in a most expeditious manner. Driving covers more ground but too rapidly to take it all in, no sooner have you spotted something than it is gone. Walking allows even closer observation and longer contemplation of the passing scene, but is too slow. Cycling, as we all know, is just right!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

Si

Postby Si » 19 Jan 2007, 3:34pm

Forget the "cycle" bit for a moment, and all becomes clear. Touring, tourist and toursim are common everyday terms, well understood by the man-in-the-street. Cycle-touring, -tourist and -tourism is just the same thing

I would say not. Each person in the street will give a different definition of "tourist". e.g. is a partaker of a package holiday doing a tour because they seem to be classed as tourists? There are no truths, especially with language, just interpretations.

jb

Postby jb » 19 Jan 2007, 3:44pm

I would say a 'tourist' is some one, any one who 'tours' around just for the pleasure of it. whether in a car on a bike or on foot, the journey length is irrelevant.

If your trying to get round a circuit in a certain time your not touring
If your trying to see how far you can go your not touring
If your trying to beat some one your not touring
If it involves any sort of business your not touring
Cheers
J Bro