Dunkirk - Dover on Norfolk Line

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mr riff raff

Dunkirk - Dover on Norfolk Line

Post by mr riff raff »

Any views?

On the service, not of the ship, before any smartarses like myself get in there!

Cheers.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
pal

Re: Dunkirk - Dover on Norfolk Line

Post by pal »

I like it: they don't take foot passengers so the boats are a bit less crowded/quieter than the Dover-Calais services; and getting away from Dunkirk (port -- which is some way away from the city) is relatively easy by bike: you can get onto small roads very quickly.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've only used it by car but friends have used it to take bikes and have been happy with the experience. As it's their own terminal at Dunkerque it's easier to use than Calais where you can find yourself standing out in the rain with the cars. At Dunkerque you can sit in the terminal building until the call comes for loading.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I was very impressed. Good price, good ships, etc.

They let me on first and it was good to see the motorists wait as I struggled up the ramp. Coming off in Dover, I got to my bike after they started unloading and had to wait till last to stop me mixing with the trucks.

On disembarkation in Dover, there is a protected cycleway - look out for it, it avoids you going onto the flyover.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I'd support all previous positive comments, having travelled both by car and bike on separate occasions. Good quality, uncrowded ships, and far less hassle or delay at the French end. Intend to use Norfolk Line again.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Domestique

Post by Domestique »

As mentioned above, on the Dunkirk side, come off ferry and wait 20 mminutes of so then hardly any traffic. Also small roads are very nearby.
We like it.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Thanks for the responses in particular the bit about hanging around. Unfortunately, I'm going into Dover.

Does the same apply? Or just go for it and take no crap off anyone!
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
pal

Post by pal »

I'd say that at Dover there's no great benefit in waiting (because the ferries arrive so frequently that the flow of lorry traffic is almost constant). But -- as simonhill mentioned above -- there's a cycleway inside the port area (from memory, this is a red (?) line painted onto the tarmac, which takes you through a short-cut from the ferry ramp to the passport control, and avoids having to cycle over the big flyover thing); once you're out of the port area, there's a (segregated) cycle path along the A20 towards the centre of Dover