The Loire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mankymitts

The Loire

Postby mankymitts » 11 Jan 2007, 12:51pm

I am going for a weeks cycling holiday to the Loire in late May. Can anyone suggest a good base for the week and any good day rides from there.

Thanks

Mankymitts

tubbycyclist

Postby tubbycyclist » 13 Jan 2007, 10:40pm

Stayed in the Loire last year, near Angers/Saumur appeared to be a good base. There is a flat as a pancake route alongside the river, especially on the south side. FWIW, going south from the river the countryside was more undulating whilst the north appeared to have more forestry and hunting-related activities.

Minor roads were very quiet and there are large numbers of cyclists and cycle tourists because of the 800km Loire a Velo route.

One of the weekends we were there there was a Fete Velo when 120km of riverbank roads were closed to traffic and there were tens of thousands of cyclists riding, with fetes, bands and bars. Wonderful to see cycling celebrated with such enthusiasm.

One of the four recumbent shops in France is virtually by the river too. I am a recumbent rider so took advantage..

I thought Brehemont looked a good place - quiet(ish). Lots of campsites and chateaux dotted about within easy distance. Depends what you want from your base. Certainly the major towns are all set up for tourism, but there are sleepier villages.

A site here with some downloadable pdfs.

HTH

mankymitts

Postby mankymitts » 14 Jan 2007, 10:55am

Thanks TC

From what you say we will base ourselves where we can get easy acess to the lumpy bits south of the river. The intention is to do a series of day rides probably between 60 and 100km and we wouldn't just want to do the flat bits.

MM

Reynard

Postby Reynard » 26 Jan 2007, 8:22pm

Try the area around Amboise (with interesting Da Vinci links) and Blois (excellent Son et Lumiere at the Chateau). Great day rides along the river or north and south therefrom. Troglodyte dwellings and vineyards, what more can you ask for?