Glasgow to Edinburgh

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
awparker

Glasgow to Edinburgh

Post by awparker »

My wife and I are hoping to cycle along the Forth & Clyde and Union Canals (The Millenium Route) at the end of March. I think I have all the relevant maps - Geomap, Sustrans and OS but any local information would be much appreciated. In particular the likely state of the surfaces since neither of us has mountain bikes rather hybids with 700 x 35 tyres. The waterways website talks of narrow, muddy routes and potholes. Is this in fact the case?

Thanks in anticipation
jb

Post by jb »

Hi

Ive done a bit of that route out of Edingburgh in winter. It was quite muddy in places. I suppose it depends on youre idea of muddy though, a mountainbiker wouldn't think twice about it, a road cyclist would be doing a lot of slipping about.

Canal towpaths dont harden up until the dry months come round so March may be a bit early. Round the Falkirk wheel its all hardcore but I'm not sure how far it stretches.

Hope you have a good trip

Cheers
Cheers
J Bro
awparker

RE: Glasgow to Edinburgh

Post by awparker »

Thanks for the reply. Here's hoping it drys up OK
Will

Post by Will »

I've cycled the length of the Union Canal at different times of the year. It is a contour canal and some sections are in cuttings, whereas other sections are quite exposed. The sections in cuttings are often muddy as they are in the shade. Also, watch out for a couple of cobbled sections next to the aquaducts - they can be quite slippy.

There is a long tunnel a few miles east of the Falkirk Wheel. The last time I went through it is was pitch dark. I don't believe that it has changed since then. You need to take lights with you for that section, even if you walk.

Will
davidmam

Post by davidmam »

I did the section from the Falkirk wheel to Glasgow on a road bike (23mm tyres) with no trouble at all a few years back.

The Falkirk wheel cafe is a bit pricey but you can take your bike into the enclosure (well, there is nothing to say you can't so I did).

..d