Malin Head - Mizen Head

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jo

Malin Head - Mizen Head

Post by Jo »

I am planning to do this route sometime this year. I would prefer to use a ferry rather than flying - Swansea-Cork and somewhere around Belfast - somewhere around Liverpool. I have looked at various route options, but wondered if anyone familiar with all or part of the route had any particular recomendations. Although I am an experienced cycle tourist I am very slow, and will be alone, with camping gear, so I am not looking for any extra heroics!
Also does anyone have any suggestions about travel between the two ends and the ferries? Time available off work mean that there is likely to be little extra time available for this, so if there is a bus or something that will take the bike it would be useful.
Jo
sean02ie

e2e

Post by sean02ie »

Jo what you need is back up get someone to drive otherwise its a major task getting to and from start/finish on public transport and also like everything in Ireland very expensive. Bikes are now banned on all but dublin - cork trains. Bikes on buses cost €11 any distance. If your pressed for time I would suggest a coast to coast from Dublin might be more feasible.
Jo

Post by Jo »

Thanks for the reply sean02ie. Unfortunately having a back up driver is not really feasable. It would mean either the cost of a car on the ferry, or the cost of a foot passenger + car hire.
I didn't know bikes could no longer be carried on trains in Ireland. I have used them before from Cork to Killarney and found the service far superior to the situation at home.
I really wanted to do Malin Head to Mizen Head rather than an alternative. Maybe I will just have to find a way of getting enough time to cycle the extra bits.
When I did Dover - Durness I thought transport was going to be impossible from Durness, but was pleasantly surprised to find the local coach company (Tim Dearman) have a bike trailer, and go to Inverness, from which all kinds of transport can be accessed. I was sort of hoping that a similar 'magic solution' would appear.
Jo
sean02ie

ireland E2E

Post by sean02ie »

jo If you have the time you can get a Bus from Cork city to Schull (3.5 Hours) leaving you 13 miles from Mizen head. Should be no problem getting a lift to start. A better option might be north south and perhaps avoid a overnight in Cork. depends on ferry times I sapose. Up north looks like theres a twice daily servive from Carnadonagh (6 miles from Malin Head) to Dublin 5 hours @ €24. Best of luck.
Jo

Post by Jo »

Thanks, that sounds much more hopeful. North-South or South-North isn't set in concrete at the moment. Transport times and availability will be deciding factors. I will probably ignore the 'prevailing wind' argument for choosing South-North as this didn't particularly work out when I did Lejog, and it let me down very badly on Dover-Durness.
If it hasn't changed since I last used it, the Swansea-Cork ferry runs overnight, arriving in Cork at something like 9am, which would be good for starting that end I should think.
I haven't looked into the Belfast ferry times yet. I also have to consider the English part of the journey (I live in Leicester-not very convenient for either end!) That will be by train, so an overnight in Swansea will be needed. I will try to find a better campsite than the huge, hideous holiday park type thing I stayed on last time!
Jo
sean02ie

Ireland E2E

Post by sean02ie »

Jo the bus company that serves Carndonagh in www.johnmcginley.com
Jo

Post by Jo »

Thanks. It's all looking possible again!
Jo
Gibbobfc

Post by Gibbobfc »

Good Evening,
I am leading a party of 18 cyclists affiliated to Burnley F.C. who will be doing the Ireland E2E starting on April 29th 2007.
We are in the final stages of route planning but will be starting on Sunday 29th and heading up North.
If anybody has any tips on stop offs or classic routes etc. it would be greatly received. We are planning 80-90 mpd and stopping in B&B (preferably Pubs) at night.
We are fully supported, so if the dates fit, we would be happy to carry your bike to the start.
We will be calling in at various places that have connections with Burnley F.C. and will be calling in at Belfast on our way back for a link up with Glentoran F.C. (a club we have strong links with)
We hope to raise around £20,000 for good causes

Any info would be greatly received to c.gibson@burnleyfc.com

thanks

Chris