LEJOG experienced cycle partner needed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Lloydy

LEJOG experienced cycle partner needed

Postby Lloydy » 13 Jan 2007, 6:57pm

Hi, I am a 14 year old student. Me and my friend have just started training for the ultimate cycle challenge, Lands end to John O'Groats. We would be planning to do it in the summer holidays and have already started planning for the event. We are in need of an adult to accompany us on this huge challenge. We would like to meet you and we would then discuss routes and planning. We are doing this for world challenge. We already have T.V and newspaper coverage. If you are intrested please email: Chrishilary3@aol.com. Thanks!

Will Lloyd

vernon

Re: LEJOG experienced cycle partner needed

Postby vernon » 16 Jan 2007, 7:31pm

Lloydy wrote:Hi, I am a 14 year old student. Me and my friend have just started training for the ultimate cycle challenge, Lands end to John O'Groats. We would be planning to do it in the summer holidays and have already started planning for the event. We are in need of an adult to accompany us on this huge challenge. We would like to meet you and we would then discuss routes and planning. We are doing this for world challenge. We already have T.V and newspaper coverage. If you are intrested please email: Chrishilary3@aol.com. Thanks!

Will Lloyd

Hi Will,

I don't want to rain on your parade but in the current climate of legisaltion encompassing 'The Children Act' and enhanced Criminal Record Bureau checks (CRBs) compels me to warn you about the potential hazards of your request.

In the 'good old days' the perceived risks of your proposed group adventure would have been zero. However I would be very cautious now of inviting a total stranger to chaperone two teenagers on a major adventure without establishing that the cheperone was trustworthy, reliable and criminal record free and without an entry in the sex offenders register.

It's a sad reflection of the times that we live in that the trust that we once relied upon between adults and youngsters is no longer deemed valid without paperwork to prove it. I've looked up World Challenge and found that it can be school centred activity - have you considered asking for a teacher volunteer from your school? It would kill many birds with one stone. Your teacher is likely to have been CRB checked, will be known to you and is trusted by you, your peers and the community at large. What you have asked for is entirely reasonable but in this risk averse world you might not get any volunteers,

Do be cautious in your recruitment strategies and good luck with the ride. You will enjoy the adventure, there's no doubt about it. I just might be doing something similar but on a lesser scale if a party of pupils that I teach can organise themselves enough to have a go at doing a Coast to Coast ride this summer.

Dai

Postby Dai » 16 Jan 2007, 8:37pm

I agree with all the above but you could also try approaching the leaders of your local Duke of Edinburgh award scheme or Army, air force or Naval cadets or at a push Scout/guide masters who all have to go through the clearance process these days.

Sad to have to curb your enthusiasm but we live in a dangerous world

vernon

Postby vernon » 16 Jan 2007, 11:31pm

Dai wrote:I agree with all the above but you could also try approaching the leaders of your local Duke of Edinburgh award scheme or Army, air force or Naval cadets or at a push Scout/guide masters who all have to go through the clearance process these days.

Sad to have to curb your enthusiasm but we live in a dangerous world

Some good suggestions.

A factor that makes recruitment dificult is finding someone who is willing, able and prepared to give up a substantial block of time to the activity. It's quite a sacrifice to give up 2-3 weeks of one's holidays and saints seem to be pretty thin on the ground at the moment :-)