Shakedown questions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nutsey

Shakedown questions

Post by Nutsey »

Hi guys

I am going out for my first 'shakedown' today (thanks again to Ferretworrier for the route), but have some questions before I leave later this afternoon:

I have packed the tent, sleeping bag, and mat on the rear rack. Should I wrap these items in binbags to protect them from rips and rain?

How stable / tied down should they be? Do they look alright? Used the parrellel rack bunjees, plus a perpendicular one over the sleeping bag.

Thanks

PS will add lots more questions when I return!

EDIT - Trip cancelled due to every campsite in the Northwest being booked up :oops:
Attachments
Loaded Brompton
Loaded Brompton
cycleruk

Re: Shakedown questions

Post by cycleruk »

I would certainly make sure that any sleeping equipment is kept dry.
The more rigid the packing the less likely to effect the handling.
A wobbly pack will make the bike wobble.

Go and camp in a friends garden. :lol:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

cycleruk wrote:I would certainly make sure that any sleeping equipment is kept dry.
The more rigid the packing the less likely to effect the handling.
A wobbly pack will make the bike wobble.

Go and camp in a friends garden. :lol:

So what is the "done thing" when it comes to packing camping equipment on a rack? In drybags/bingabs? Or just put on the rack with bunjees?
Tako

Post by Tako »

Nice set up! Do you mind me asking about your gearing?

Depends where/how long your trip is and the forecast. Given current forecast for NW region and if its a short tour, l would skip the drybags and securely fasten with bungee cords or netting. Is the bag strapped around the seatpost?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Normally things that must not get wet, sleeping bag and spare clothes are packed in heavy duty plastic bags eg builders ruble sacks or dry bags. I use Exped bags having found them reasonably cost effective.
As has been said about loading any thing that is convenient a very stable. I also try to keep the heavier items as low as possible.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

In response to the two above posts, i have 3 gears but stick to flattish places (cheshire yesterday for example). I changed the setup in the picture and attached the sleeping bag vertically behind the seatpost, holding it firmly to the post wrapped by its own drawstring.

I will buy drybags if they are not overpriced, binbags otherwise.

The grey bag on the front of the brompton is the best purchase i made in a long time! Never been so excited by a bag. Turning into a girl!
Neil F

Post by Neil F »

Did jejog in 2007 in the rain, 4 weeks it took and rain for all of it. I found that roll top water proof bags were better than plastic bags. Much easier to pack away neatly. I also used some inexpensive coloured water proof bags to separate things out. Dot bike had the roll top bags the coloured bags are to be found on e-bay.
fimm

Post by fimm »

If you are cycling all day in the rain a binbag won't be enough, in my opinion. I'd really encourage you to get some proper drybags, or at least use more than one layer of plastic bag.
Of course it's a race...
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

In my (very dated) experience: clothes and sleeping bags need waterproof bags. Binbags tear. Bungees break or ping apart at the worst possible times. I preferred luggage straps, as tight as possible, with a few "spares" -- if the baggage needed 4 to be secure, I used 6.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

My experience of Drybags in this position is that they acquired holes. I suspect that long exposure to UV and heat weakened them; I don't recommend black.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Urgh... more stuff to buy then. Alpkit drybags? Maybe ikea blue ones in the meantime. They're tough and waterproof i think.
shane

Post by shane »

Nutsey wrote:Urgh... more stuff to buy then. Alpkit drybags? Maybe ikea blue ones in the meantime. They're tough and waterproof i think.

I have a very handy drybag from Exped, it keeps my cloths dry and doubles as a daysack. Can't get the damn flickr link to work so here's my website link theres also a few other handy items there;)
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

Aldi sometimes have drybags in their special lines £6/7 each as I recall and they seemed pretty strong. I'll get a couple next time as my son has just nicked my Ortleib for a trip he's going on. :evil:
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

shane wrote:
Nutsey wrote:Urgh... more stuff to buy then. Alpkit drybags? Maybe ikea blue ones in the meantime. They're tough and waterproof i think.

I have a very handy drybag from Exped, it keeps my cloths dry and doubles as a daysack. Can't get the damn flickr link to work so here's my website link theres also a few other handy items there;)

Just had a read of your website. Its a very nice site - easy on the eye, well designed, and interesting :D
shane

Post by shane »

Nutsey wrote:
shane wrote:

Just had a read of your website. Its a very nice site - easy on the eye, well designed, and interesting :D

Oooh you smooth talker!...thanks for the compliment, it just took me 3 months of blood sweat and tears to get this far, im not much of a website wonder:), getting there tho...