Northern Norway - getting there?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
grw

Northern Norway - getting there?

Postby grw » 20 Jan 2007, 2:37pm

I'm planning on three weeks touring in Northern Norway this summer. Any ideas on the best way of getting there with bike?
I'm thinking of Tromso, but ferries from the UK only go as far north as Bergen, and flights all seem to be via Oslo.
Previous experience of flying with bike has led me to believe that the whole hard case, wrapped in plastic, pedals removed ... seems to be pretty dependent on the mood of the check in staff at the airport on that particular day!
I could take the ferry and then the train ... but seems ias if I'm going to be spending most of my holiday trying to make it to and from my intended start point...

davidmam

Postby davidmam » 21 Jan 2007, 9:28pm

It should be pointed out that 'The Railway Station' in Tromsoe is a rather fine pub. It has railway style seats and the ocaisional platform announcement over the tannoy. It is in the shadow of the Mack brewery which makes rather fine ale.

You could go to Bergen then get the coastal ferry, the Hurtigruta.

Alternatively, the internal airlines are very good with bikes. They transport a lot of them (and skis, dog sleds, firearms etc.) Unlike Ryan Air, they do not see passengers as self-loading cargo.

..d

Helen

Northern Norway - getting there

Postby Helen » 22 Jan 2007, 5:09pm

Check out www.norwegian.no for cheap flights. They go at least Manchester-Bergen. I flew with them from Split-Oslo last year. Supposed to pay 40 euros for bike, but didn't in the end!
Look at www.moneysavingexpert.com "flightchecker" page where you can type in wide range of dates and maximum price for several airlines.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 23 Jan 2007, 12:31am

davidmam wrote:It should be pointed out that 'The Railway Station' in Tromsoe is a rather fine pub. It has railway style seats and the ocaisional platform announcement over the tannoy. It is in the shadow of the Mack brewery which makes rather fine ale.

You could go to Bergen then get the coastal ferry, the Hurtigruta.

Alternatively, the internal airlines are very good with bikes. They transport a lot of them (and skis, dog sleds, firearms etc.) Unlike Ryan Air, they do not see passengers as self-loading cargo.

..d

The one-way Hurtigruten fare from Bergen to Tromso seems to be £275, takes 2 days

cycletourer

Postby cycletourer » 5 Feb 2007, 9:14am

Like Helen we used Norwegian airlines to fly from Stansted to Bodø last summer. They do some direct flights from UK airports, but you can fly via Oslo to most destinations in Norway. This isn't availble via their website but you can book via telephone and they do speak good English.

Like Helen says they charge for bikes, and for us it was €25 per bike each leg. Unlike some airlines the bikes are not included in your baggage allowance so you still get your 20kg for your gear. One thing to note the charge for the bikes is not included in your ticket price, that is additional and has to be paid at the airport for each flight!