Isle of Wight

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jimcrosskell

Isle of Wight

Post by jimcrosskell »

Travelling by Tandem with trailer in mid-Septemvber from Yarmouth to Whitecliff bay. Does anyone have a preferred direct/shorest/quickest route?
I was thicking A3054 to Newport then the unclassified road to Brading.
Suggestions welcome.
Backwinds forever.......
eileithyia

Re: Islwe of Wight

Post by eileithyia »

that road to newport is best avoided if possible, have had some nasty close calls on it.

quite lumpy but; there is an old railway from yarmouth to freshwater. then take the road across the middle to calbourne and cuts just south of newport, it will then link up with your route to brading.
alternatively you could take newport road then turn off to thornley/calborne.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Justin

Re: Isle of Wight

Post by Justin »

I cycled the opposite direction from Whitecliff Bay to Yarmouth. My prefered route and the one I took was following the B roads from Whitecliff Bay up towards Ryde via Bembridge and St. Helens. I then took the A3054 and stayed on it all the way to just outside Newport, where I picked up the A3020, I followed this through Parkhurst and all the way to West Cowes. I then stayed on the B roads through Gurnard, Great Thorness and Porchfield until I reached the A3054 again at Shalfleet. I then followed the A3054 straight to the ferry terminal at Yarmouth.
I never had a problem on any of the roads and found the whole island a pleasure to cycle round whether on main roads or the country lanes. I never found the traffic a problem anywhere and the country lanes were particularly quiet.
Looking at my notes, my journey from about 1 mile inland from Whitecliff Bay to the ferry terminal at Yarmouth was 36.81 miles, but that included a few very short detours to explore Cowes.
Have a good trip :) . I can't wait to go back again.
Last edited by Justin on 20 Jul 2010, 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

Thanks guys
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I live on the Isle of Wight and would definitely avoid the Newport - Brading road except on Sunday mornings! It is very narrow and carries a lot of fast traffic using it as a short cut from one side of the island to the other. It is also very hilly. The views and scenery are superb but the quantity of traffic means you are unlikely to enjoy them. The island has a large amount of road for its size and almost every main road has a parallel small quiet lane. I would go Yarmouth, Thorley,1st right (Broad Lane),Chessell, Mottistone, Brightstone, Chale Green,Godshill,Sandford then follow signed cycle route Alverstone, Yarbridge. Enjoy! :)
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

Just back from IOW
Great time despite the island being very commercial.
Thanks Pedalsheep for your route it was great. We came back from Sandown via the cycle track along the old railway to Shide. Good enough surface for any touring setup (>28mm) nice and flat with super views as well as nature notice boards for those with sprogs. Then up the hill towards Calbourne and stay on the B3401 until Yarmouth. Hard work getting up the first hill but when you are on the top really good views over the Solent.
Thanks for your ideas.
Backwinds forever....
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Glad you enjoyed it. :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

This caulkhead agrees with pedalsheep. You picked a good route :)

(Is pedalsheep an overner?)

The only remotely mainland-esque bit of the island is from coppins bridge to the hospital tbh.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Yes, I confess I'm an overner! :lol:
Simonsmithster

Post by Simonsmithster »

Hello, can you help me please? We are cycling from Ryde to yarmouth on the tandem, to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. ( I'm always telling her how lucky she is). any suggestions for a nice route. She doesn't do hills.

Incidentally same wife and same tandem as featured in cycle magazine after our tour of southern India in 2003/4 ish.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

There is a sort of coastal route you could take, but it gets hilly near Cowes on either side. Not sure how else you can cross the river though. The route is signposted blue/white. Going through Newport is no fun, but flatter, and more hills south of Newport. You can't win.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Simonsmithster wrote:any suggestions for a nice route. She doesn't do hills.
IME 'IoW' and 'doesn't do hills' doesn't work - how about a nice tour of Holland? Good luck :lol:
"42"
Simonsmithster

Post by Simonsmithster »

Great thanks. I can do some hills. Sounds good. Is there a floating bridge or something.?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Simonsmithster wrote:Is there a floating bridge or something.?
Floating bridge joins Cowes.
"42"
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

A sort of "minimal hills" route would be to take th train from Ryde to Sandown and the cycle track from Sandown to Newport to Cowes, as this is reasonably flat. Then a couple of "small bumps" * between Cowes and Ryde.

* He lied!