Israel & West Bank - September cycle tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Israel & West Bank - September cycle tour

Post by willem jongman »

Enjoyed reading this. I recognized many of the spots. Sorry you missed the nice little roads west of Jerusalem (and the old city itself, of course) - they would have been a treat. I am impressed by the way you seem to have coped with the heat. I think Eilat is a dump. What did you think of it?
Willem
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Nice little journal Mattie. It gives a good feel of the trip, sometimes brevity is indeed best. Thanks.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

willem jongman wrote:..... I think Eilat is a dump. What did you think of it?
Willem

It is OK ! I was very glad to get there, go for a swim, see some lights, have a Falafel !

I spent two days over Yom Kippur in the quietest of little towns, in Mitzpe Ramon, with no TV, nobody in the hostel, everything closed, so was ready to see a bit of glitz !
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Yes those religeous holidays can be boring and impractical for a visitor, with closed shops and restaurants. But Mitzpe Ramon is glorious. For those who do not know it, google a picture for one of this world's most beautiful wonders: a gigantic crater (though not volcanic) with rock formations that go back to the earliest times of the earth. The youth hostel is a pretty Spartan desert building with tiny windowns, on the edge of the crater. It is a staging post for many cyclists. Like many towns in the desert, its population largely consists of fairly recent Russian immigrants, which really feels rather incongruous.
Willem
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

willem jongman wrote:Yes those religeous holidays can be boring and impractical for a visitor, with closed shops and restaurants. But Mitzpe Ramon is glorious. For those who do not know it, google a picture for one of this world's most beautiful wonders: a gigantic crater (though not volcanic) with rock formations that go back to the earliest times of the earth. The youth hostel is a pretty Spartan desert building with tiny windowns, on the edge of the crater. It is a staging post for many cyclists. Like many towns in the desert, its population largely consists of fairly recent Russian immigrants, which really feels rather incongruous.
Willem

I agree the Makhtesh Ramon Crator is spectacular. I was amazed, even more so because I was not expecting it. In my journal I descibe it as jaw dropping. I actually spent three days in Mitzpe and took many photos of the area in the early morning and late afternoon/early evening with the light at its best. Somehow spending the day of attonment in a small town in the desert was somehow the right place !

I enjoyed going to the little supermarket on the morning of Yom Kippur - everyone was there buying pastries and bread and stocking up for the feast after. There were kids and families, everyone seemed happy. It is one of my fondest memmories of my trip to Israel.

Here is a picture that I took:

[url]Image[/url]
Stevena1973

Post by Stevena1973 »

Hi Mattie
I'm cycling in Israel and Jordan in September this year. I'd love to see your website/blog. www.worldonabike.co.uk/3.html isn't working. Have you got an updated address?
Also, I too have concerns about the heat while cycling in the desert in September. Any thoughts/advice most welcome.
Cheers
Steven
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

It will be hot - very hot.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Mattie was last active in Dec 2018. I doubt he uses the forum anymore.