Israel & West Bank - September cycle tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mattie

Israel & West Bank - September cycle tour

Post by Mattie »

Has anyone (on this forum) done a cycle tour of Israel ?

I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to cycle out of Ben Gurion airport, to Lod for example. Also whether it is possible to cycle along Route 90 to the Dead Sea and Eilat

If anyone has any recommendations for a two week cycle/camping tour of Israel, I would be interested to hear them.

Many thanks.
Last edited by Mattie on 8 Aug 2010, 8:32am, edited 1 time in total.
willem jongman

Re: Israel - September cycle tour

Post by willem jongman »

I worked there for half a year. I am not sure about the airport, to be honest, but I would think yes, in one way or another (if only via the old terminal). I had a bike, but was collected from the airport by taxi. There are Egged busses, and on some you can take bikes. September will still be blazingly hot, esp in the desert. I only started riding in late October. I don't have my maps with me here, but there are two routes to the south: one along the Dead Sea and then further south, the other right through the centre of the Negev desert. The latter is by far the more scenic route (unbelievably beautiful, to be honest), and much safer to ride, esp if you avoid the major roads north in the Judaean lowlands.
Cycling is increasingly popular in Israel, and El AL make taking your bike on the plane very attractive. That said, it is still not a very cycling friendly country, and some drivers, well eh, need I say more. Cycling was my thing for the Saturday. Part of the reason was that it was a day off for me, but the other part was that half the drivers did not permite themselves to drive on the Sabbath.
Willem
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Thank you for your reply and I am a bit concerned about the temperature in September. Maybe route 90 might be a bit easier if it is a fairly flat route. But still drawn to the idea of the desert areas, as well as Jerusalem and Bethlehem. If needs be then I might have to get a taxi out of the airport and start cycling from there. I have booked with El Al and they even advertise that bikes go free of charge, I couldn't believe my luck.
Really looking forward to it, just wish I had longer than two weeks !
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mattie wrote:Thank you for your reply and I am a bit concerned about the temperature in September. Maybe route 90 might be a bit easier if it is a fairly flat route. But still drawn to the idea of the desert areas, as well as Jerusalem and Bethlehem. If needs be then I might have to get a taxi out of the airport and start cycling from there. I have booked with El Al and they even advertise that bikes go free of charge, I couldn't believe my luck.

mattie: Bethlehem is not in Israel and while I have not taken offence at your post others might and it would perhaps be a good idea to amend your post(s) and issue an apology.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Well, to get to route 90 you first have to descend from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea. I have taken that road a number of times, and even though most of it has a one lane wide shoulder, not all of it does, and those narrow parts are scary with the traffic. I never dared cycling there. You must also realize that once you are at the Dead Sea, you are some 400 metres below see level, with correspondingly higher temperatures. Bu there are interesting sites, like Qumran and Massada.
The political situation does indeed demand a measure of attention and awareness. It is important to realize the different political, military and administrative statuses of the various territories (for your safety, get a map that shows them). The security situation inside the pre 1967 borders is pretty safe, although you will need to get used to seeing armed soldiers and armed security everywhere. I got used to it very quickly. Regions such as in the North with substantial Arab populations may be different, since these people feel increasingly disillusioned with Israeli policy, and let that be known. As for occupied territory, that comes in different flavours. The Gaza strip is out for a visit, but the same applies to some parts of the West Bank that have both military and civilian administration by the Palestinian Authority. Remember that for Palestinians almost anyone from a Western country looks like an Israeli, and may be treated like one. There are very real and justified grievances (in fact, they are often very real on both sides), and recent Israeli policy has not helped, to put it mildly. That said, Jerusalem was a fascinating city to live. History goes back thousands and thousands of years, and the archaeology of all periods has been well studied and is well presented. Also, there is nothing like visiting the country to appreciate the rich multicultural past of the region, and the complexities of its present.
But it will be very hot, and for your own safety you will need to know how to survive that. Today's forecast is 40 degrees for the Jordan Valley, 41 degrees for EIn Gedi (Dead Sea) and 42 for Eilath. Just so you know. I have just been back from a research trip in May to archaeological sites in the desert, and boy the heat was blistering. I was glad to have an air conditioned car. But yes, I still think the desert was one of the most beautiful parts of the world. And where in the region do you get such well excavated archaeological sites, from the early bronze age to the late Byzantine and beyond? Also, the Mitzpe Ramon crater is something to experience. Anyway, you are not going to a third world country. There will be other traffic, there will be bus stops in the middle of the desert etc. But take a trailerload full of water, and get up at the first morning light. Alternatively, the north is also very beautiful, much greener, much cooler, and much easier to handle (but hilly).
Because of El AL's free bike policy (part of a larger program to encourage cycling) I took my bike and enjoyed riding in the - very steep - hills west of Jerusalem. El AL were very careful and helpful with the bike, but make sure you turn up in time at the terminal.
Willem
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

horizon wrote:
Mattie wrote:Thank you for your reply and I am a bit concerned about the temperature in September. Maybe route 90 might be a bit easier if it is a fairly flat route. But still drawn to the idea of the desert areas, as well as Jerusalem and Bethlehem. If needs be then I might have to get a taxi out of the airport and start cycling from there. I have booked with El Al and they even advertise that bikes go free of charge, I couldn't believe my luck.

mattie: Bethlehem is not in Israel and while I have not taken offence at your post others might and it would perhaps be a good idea to amend your post(s) and issue an apology.

Point taken - I have changed the subject to Israel and the West Bank, as you have pointed out Bethlehem is not in Israel. I apologise if this simplification on my part caused any offence.
Mattie

Re: Israel & West Bank - September cycle tour

Post by Mattie »

Thank you Willem for your advice. I am very concerned about the heat and not being able to tour at all if it is so hot. I will just have to work around it somehow and see what it is like on arrival. Maybe head North to the Sea of Galilee if is still very hot in the South.
Still looking forward to it though.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mattie wrote:
horizon wrote:

Point taken - I have changed the subject to Israel and the West Bank, as you have pointed out Bethlehem is not in Israel. I apologise if this simplification on my part caused any offence.

mattie: that's very gracious of you. I knew what you meant of course but it is a sensitive and deeply felt issue so I posted on both my own behalf and on principle. One thing I would add however, particularly in the light of willem's post above, is that your trip might be seen as a statement of support for the Palestinians by visiting the area and talking to the local people (both Israeli and Palestinian). I don't know about your own politics, but that to me would be an extremely worthwhile thing to do (I don't mean getting involved, just observing and travelling as one does on a bike). I wish you the very best of luck with your trip.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Mattie wrote:...I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to cycle out of Ben Gurion airport..

Many thanks.

In answer to my own question it is possible to cycle out of Ben Gurion airport. I rode straight out of the car park onto a dual carriageway, quickly accross onto the wide hard sholder and you've made it. I saw a couple of local road cyclists ahead of me so figured it must be ok. Straightforward ride to Ashqelon. :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Mattie - thanks for getting back, why can't everybody be so considerate. I hope you had a good trip.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Are you still there, or have you returned? I am curious to hear more.
Willem
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonhill wrote:Mattie - thanks for getting back, why can't everybody be so considerate. I hope you had a good trip.

It's always great to hear how people have got on - we get to hear the end of the story (and learn from it!).
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

willem jongman wrote:Are you still there, or have you returned? I am curious to hear more.
Willem

I have just arrived. A few days of airconditioning and WiFi then head out into the wilderness for a few days. Will head for a campground near Ofaqim, and then down to Eilat.

I thought I would answer the bit about cycling out of Ben Gurion because someone else might come along with the same question. In my internet search I never found a definite answer to that question so took a gamble - either put the bike together and try to cycle out - or take a taxi while the bike is still nicely packaged after getting off the flight. I thought what the hell worth a try !

Very hot here, will work on trying to do early starts and getting out of the sun by midday. Enjoying the whole experience so far.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Once you turn inland the air will no longer be so humid, but it will be quite a bit hotter.
Enjoy,
Willem
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have just finished putting some pictures and narrative on the website from the tour.

Website here:http://www.worldonabike.co.uk/3.html

There are only about 20 pictures and captions so it should not take long to read.