Iceland Tour Photos - July 2010

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaveyDave

Iceland Tour Photos - July 2010

Post by DaveyDave »

Just got back from a touring trip in Iceland. Pretty damn good. Here are a few pics:

http://daveydave.jalbum.net/Iceland%202010/

Thanks for all your help in answering my queries beforehand.

Dave
SteveL

Re: Iceland Tour Photos - July 2010

Post by SteveL »

Great album of photographs! Are you writing up your trip - a lot of people would be very interested.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

They seem to have been having a very good summer this year, with "drought" claimed in some areas.

Assuming the photos are in the order you took them, I can see you followed the ring road along the south coast, east coast and part way along the north. You then seem suddenly to turn up on the Golden Circle all of a sudden. Is that because you took a bus back to Reykjavik at that point, noticed that the W of the ring road is so boring it wasn't worth showing the photos, or did actually ride Kjolur to Gullfoss but had bad weather so took no pictures?

There are many stunning cycling areas you missed, a good excuse to go back.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Some great photos there.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
DaveyDave

Post by DaveyDave »

iviehoff wrote:They seem to have been having a very good summer this year, with "drought" claimed in some areas.

Assuming the photos are in the order you took them, I can see you followed the ring road along the south coast, east coast and part way along the north. You then seem suddenly to turn up on the Golden Circle all of a sudden. Is that because you took a bus back to Reykjavik at that point, noticed that the W of the ring road is so boring it wasn't worth showing the photos, or did actually ride Kjolur to Gullfoss but had bad weather so took no pictures?

There are many stunning cycling areas you missed, a good excuse to go back.

I did the whole ring. A total of 1875kms. Anticlockwise and no motorised transport involved. The photos aren't quite in the right order actually. Luckily I had some time near the end to do the golden circle stuff. Had originally planned to use route 35 to cross the interior north to south but the weather wasn't great and I much prefer smooth roads to bumpy gravel tracks if I'm honest. Certainly agree that the best parts are in the south but the north is still good cycling. If you are prepared to cycle a lot of gravel roads, then the Western fjords and interior would offer other areas. However, I'm pretty happy that the ring road offers a good taste of Iceland for someone with only 2-3 weeks to spare.

Dave
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Pictures have come out very well, looked through them all.

Just wondering if they were taken with a point and shoot or a DSLR
DaveyDave

Post by DaveyDave »

Mattie wrote:Pictures have come out very well, looked through them all.

Just wondering if they were taken with a point and shoot or a DSLR

Just a point and click Canon IXUS camera. I probably couldn't justify the additional space and weight of an SLR.