Western isles (Formerly Outer Hebrides) Mini tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ultraburner

Re: Western isles (Formerly Outer Hebrides) Mini tour

Post by ultraburner »

Excellent stuff, I appreciate the feedback. I am thinking camping in my first trip is a bite more than I can chew. B&B'S & hostels look more likely.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Someone is selling Carradice panniers on the for sale board.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

I would hostel and can recommend the Gatliff hostels. They are in the most fantastic locations.
marcusjb

Post by marcusjb »

The Rhenigidale hostel is something really special. However, the ride over to it is a little challenging at the end of a long day! Quite steep.

Last year, I walked over to it on a fantastic sunny day (one of the few we had on last year's trip) and myself and my girlfriend had the place to ourselves that night.

I've never stayed at the Garenin one, but have camped at Howmore twice, camped and bunked at Berneray as well.
Ron

Post by Ron »

ultraburner wrote:Thanks alot for the replies. As a novice it means a great deal. Its rather daunting this touring thing! I'm beginning to get an idea of where I'm going now, I admit I would feel better with a map.

I wonder why you have chosen this route for a first tour :?:
It really can be a bit of a logistical nightmare, coordinating ferry , bus and rail times, places to stop for accommodation, purchasing food etc. all made more difficult if you are trying to do it within a tight timescale which will leave you no leeway for breakdown poor weather.
It can be a fine tour when things run well, but I do think you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself as a novice tourist.
Of course, maybe you thrive on pressure. :D
Good Luck anyway. :)
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Ron wrote:I wonder why you have chosen this route for a first tour :?:
It really can be a bit of a logistical nightmare, coordinating ferry , bus and rail times, places to stop for accommodation, purchasing food etc. all made more difficult if you are trying to do it within a tight timescale which will leave you no leeway for breakdown poor weather.
It can be a fine tour when things run well, but I do think you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself as a novice tourist.
Of course, maybe you thrive on pressure. :D
Good Luck anyway. :)

I disagree, the hebrides are a good place for a beginner to touring.
Mostly easy cycling, friendly people who will go out of their way to help anyone in difficulty, plenty of accommodation at reasonable distances, shops are good if you find out where they are in advance, buses take bikes, ferry trips adds a bit of adventure.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

We had a tour there a couple of years ago, and there's a tour diary at http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/sohi1.htm.

Because we were going back to Mallaig rather than Ullapool, that gave us an extra option for a bail-out if we weren't covering much ground (as it turned out, we weren't). The Hopscotch ticket we got let us get out via Skye without any extra cost or faff, so if you're worried about who far you'll get consider that as an option.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
ultraburner

Post by ultraburner »

Cheers Pete, an excellent read thanks for posting. It looks like you enjoyed it. 8)
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

If you do decide to camp you can head for the coastal Machair (sandy grassland) and camp for free. If . Can be idyllic (e.g in May/June with the corncrakes calling) However, it's often very windy, so it's sensible to take a bombproof four season tent & and as already mentioned you may find the camping gear goes on a nice holiday but isn't used much. I did think of camping inside the walls of the derelict black houses that are everywhere - but they are usually full of sheepshit - (but I guess it'd be soft to sleep on )

You don't need to worry about your bike at night here if you camp. About as safe as you could.
old fangled
ultraburner

Post by ultraburner »

Im looking at planning now. Checking the Calmac website, it seems there is no option for passenger only for the hopscotch ticket? Must you select vehicle :? ? Cheers.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Hopscotch is available for passenger (cyclist) only, but the Calmac website doesn't make it particularly clear.
If you go to the Hopscotch page for the route you want to travel, it has the fares listed under Driver & Passenger (each), that would be the fare you would pay as a cyclist, with no charge for the bike.
If you are looking at it from the online booking page, they don't give any option for a non-motorised booking but that is only because you don't have to book if you are a foot passenger or cyclist, just turn up and buy your hopscotch ticket at the start of your journey and then present each portion before boarding. The ferries are never so full that you won't get on.
ultraburner

Post by ultraburner »

Thanks for that. So there is no need to book your crossings, rather you turn up on time for the ones you want?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

ultraburner wrote:Thanks for that. So there is no need to book your crossings, rather you turn up on time for the ones you want?

Yep, that's correct. Only vehicles need to book in advance.
ultraburner

Post by ultraburner »

Just a wee update. Arrved back from my mini tour on Saturday past. I had planned to go solo but was joined by a couple of clubmates and I was glad of the company tbh. Thanks for the advice imparted it came in handy.

Here's a link to some pictures I took of the Uists and Harris/Lewis, stunning beaches.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23602857@N ... 080461458/
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Fantastic pictures - just shows why this is a 'must do' tour.

No pictures of North 'Arris's Big 'Ill?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......