YHA Closures

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
meic

YHA Closures

Postby meic » 25 Sep 2010, 7:12pm

Hostels closing near you after September, it didnt say which September.

Capel Curig
Exeter
Grasmere Thorney Howe
Hunstanton
Kendal
River Dart
Saffron Waldon
Scarborough.
Yma o Hyd

rapidfire72

Re: YHA Closures

Postby rapidfire72 » 25 Sep 2010, 7:51pm

This September, I'm afraid to say. This is normal for YHA to close some youth hostels, some close, some open. Shame to see Scarborough go.

tooley92

Postby tooley92 » 25 Sep 2010, 8:13pm

Very sad to hear that Scarborough is closing, spent many a happy weekend there with the Ryedale section when I lived in Pickering.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'

fossil

Postby fossil » 25 Sep 2010, 8:14pm

stoped in at the Exter YHA on our LeJog this year
top accom , shame it will close :( :( :( , as I thought it one of the best we stayed at

Wildduck

Postby Wildduck » 25 Sep 2010, 9:09pm

Another example of mis-management by the YHA.

I fear by the time I'm grey that I will not be able to use my life membership anymore as either the hostels have closed or are full of school parties :(
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)

drossall

Postby drossall » 25 Sep 2010, 9:28pm

And Saffron Walden. I've taken Scouts cycling to Ivinghoe, Castle Hedingham (car assisted) and Saffron Walden in rotation. Now they're all gone :(

That only leaves Cambridge, which, being in the city centre, isn't the same.

That's what comes of not doing it for several years, I suppose - we contributed to the under-use.

rapidfire72

Postby rapidfire72 » 25 Sep 2010, 11:41pm

Over the years, yha have closed a lot of hostels on my home ground :( .

The best ones were Wheeldale Lodge, Westerdale, old Whitby, Saltburn by the Sea and Malton. Oh, and not forgetting Ellingstring. Anymore, Yes, Keld, Durham City, Aysgarth, Linton in Craven, Baldersdale and Barnard Castle. All sadly missed and happy memories too.

I have a old YHA tea towel from when i did the Pennine Way walk back in 1971 and it shows all the hostels in that time.

I may mention a few, do you have a favorite which has been closed down or simply remember one. I do remember one on the Pennine Way at the time and that was Knock, which Dufton replaced it and Bellingham

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 Sep 2010, 7:53am

Boggle Hole. (THere also used to be a handy one in Brid, but the hostel itself wasn't pot of the ordinary.)

rapidfire72

Postby rapidfire72 » 26 Sep 2010, 8:38am

Bridlington was opened in 1946 and closed in 1965, also there was a hostel in Filey from 1948 to 1958.

The other week, I stayed one night at Black Sail hostel up in Ennerdale and there are plans to upgrade the hostel. Which may be a good thing or a bad thing. Thing's somehow would'nt be the same.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 26 Sep 2010, 9:01am

Wildduck wrote:Another example of mis-management by the YHA.

I fear by the time I'm grey that I will not be able to use my life membership anymore as either the hostels have closed or are full of school parties :(

+1, Saffron Waldron, Castle Hedingham have all been utilised when I have been on a 'race weekend' away from home.

In recent years this has become more difficult due to RAH especially at start and end of the season.
It's now often cheaper and easier to use a travelodge/premier inn.

SW is a beautiful fascinating building, but no doubt also worth a considerable amount of money.

Ivinghoe was ideal as near the start of the Ridgeway!

They have tried to close River Dart before (if I am thinking of the right one), but it achieved a stay of execution. It is in a glorious position and was ideal for the start of week's tour of the SW. I guess this is also a valuable building.
Indeed I think last time there were concerns over it's cost to repair and general upkeep.

However I can't help thinking that in the current economic climate it is not the right time to sell off some of these properties, i thought property prices were falling again.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

tooley92

Postby tooley92 » 26 Sep 2010, 6:42pm

rapidfire72 wrote:Over the years, yha have closed a lot of hostels on my home ground :( .

The best ones were Wheeldale Lodge, Westerdale, old Whitby, Saltburn by the Sea and Malton. Oh, and not forgetting Ellingstring. Anymore, Yes, Keld, Durham City, Aysgarth, Linton in Craven, Baldersdale and Barnard Castle. All sadly missed and happy memories too.

I have a old YHA tea towel from when i did the Pennine Way walk back in 1971 and it shows all the hostels in that time.

I may mention a few, do you have a favorite which has been closed down or simply remember one. I do remember one on the Pennine Way at the time and that was Knock, which Dufton replaced it and Bellingham

Gosh, I had almost forgotten about Wheeldale & Westerdale. Do you remember the 3 W's stamp that the YHA used to give you when you had visited Wheeldale, Westerdale & Whitby.

rapidfire72

Postby rapidfire72 » 26 Sep 2010, 7:03pm

tooley92 wrote:
rapidfire72 wrote:Over the years, yha have closed a lot of hostels on my home ground :( .

Gosh, I had almost forgotten about Wheeldale & Westerdale. Do you remember the 3 W's stamp that the YHA used to give you when you had visited Wheeldale, Westerdale & Whitby.

Sure enough I did the 3 W's and earned the hostel stamp. Another one was the WHO, which was Westerdale, Helmsley and Osmotherley and did that one too.

In the Yorkshire Dales, there was the RED route, that was Ramsgill, Ellingstring and Dacre Banks. Now all sadly closed.
Yes, them were the fun days and so simple too. None of the hostels sold beer or wine then.

tooley92

Postby tooley92 » 26 Sep 2010, 7:39pm

rapidfire72 wrote:
tooley92 wrote:

Sure enough I did the 3 W's and earned the hostel stamp. Another one was the WHO, which was Westerdale, Helmsley and Osmotherley and did that one too.

In the Yorkshire Dales, there was the RED route, that was Ramsgill, Ellingstring and Dacre Banks. Now all sadly closed.
Yes, them were the fun days and so simple too. None of the hostels sold beer or wine then.

I don't remember the Helmsley hostel but have stayed at Osmotherly a few times-that one is still open as far as I know.

rapidfire72

Postby rapidfire72 » 26 Sep 2010, 7:55pm

Yes, Helmsley & Osmotherley are still open and will be visiting Osmotherley hostel next month and Grinton Lodge come to that.

tooley92

Postby tooley92 » 26 Sep 2010, 8:27pm

rapidfire72 wrote:Yes, Helmsley & Osmotherley are still open and will be visiting Osmotherley hostel next month and Grinton Lodge come to that.

Grinton is lovely, top of a steep hill-just what you need after a long day. I remember riding to Grinton from Pickering when I was 15 during a YHA tour that took in Grinton, Slaidburn, Linton, Ellingstring & Osmotherley, Oh happy days :D