Easter in Scotland?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
blaugrana

Easter in Scotland?

Postby blaugrana » 4 Feb 2007, 8:22pm

I'm thinking of spending a week or so at Easter touring (between B&Bs, hostels) doing short daily distances with my 5 year-old. We need to end up (and possibly start) in Glasgow.

This will be our first trip, and I don't know Scotland at all, so any advice, suggestions, links etc for us would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff Humm
Bike + Burley Piccolo
or Hase Pino

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 4 Feb 2007, 8:46pm

the isle of arran is c.40 mins train, then c.40 mins ferry from glasgow.
it's very beautiful, and the cars go slower & with more courtesy than the mainland.

Sares

Postby Sares » 5 Feb 2007, 8:14pm

Dumfries and Galloway is very nice at that time of year, and you can use the Sustrans Lochs and Glens South Cycle route (www.sustrans.org.uk) - it is very scenic with mostly quiet roads and I think would mostly be ok for kids although there are some really steep (not long, just 20% grades) climbs just south of Newton Stewart. My fiance and I did this trip from Dumfries to Maybole last Easter and it worked quite well, although you wouldn't want to go so far I think. A really homey B&B is Miefield Farm near Kirkcudbright- it's on a working sheep farm and is in such a peaceful location, back in a glen. And the owner is really friendly.

There is a hostel in Newton Stewart. The Dumfries area has some of the 7 Staines hills if you're into mountain biking.

You can book B&Bs through the Visit Scotland site http://www.visitscotland.com/

You can get to Glasgow by train or by bike, although I found that the scenery close to Glasgow was not as nice as that in Dumfries & Galloway.

Hope this helps! And I'm sure you'll have a great trip somewhere around Glasgow, there are lots of opportunities.