LEJOG - times

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Si

LEJOG - times

Post by Si »

OK, at the risk of through the cat amounst the pigeons...

What do you think is the ideal time scale for an end to end?

My view is around 2 to 3 weeks. I did it in two weeks and while the riding wasn't that hard (about 75mpd) I found that spending so long in the saddle (so I ain't that fast, OK) meant that I didn't actually have time to stop and stare at everything that took my fancy, and by the time I got to the days destination and found lodgings, it was gone 5pm and everything I wanted to mooch around was shut.

Fair enough, the end to end is a challenge, but I see that challange as being 1. actually making it to the other end, and 2) getting the maximum enjoyment out of it as possible.

Now, I'm no 'dissing' those that seek to do it in as little time as possible - I am in awe of their athletic abilities, but when you do it flat out at those sorts of speeds, then for me, it ceases to be a tour and becomes an unofficial race.

Of course, you could take more than 2 to 3 weeks and meander a bit to see a lot more, but then comes the world of pain from (s)he who you have left at home for so long :lol:
vernon

Re: LEJOG - times

Post by vernon »

Si wrote:OK, at the risk of through the cat amounst the pigeons...

What do you think is the ideal time scale for an end to end?

My view is around 2 to 3 weeks. I did it in two weeks and while the riding wasn't that hard (about 75mpd) I found that spending so long in the saddle (so I ain't that fast, OK) meant that I didn't actually have time to stop and stare at everything that took my fancy, and by the time I got to the days destination and found lodgings, it was gone 5pm and everything I wanted to mooch around was shut.

Fair enough, the end to end is a challenge, but I see that challange as being 1. actually making it to the other end, and 2) getting the maximum enjoyment out of it as possible.

Now, I'm no 'dissing' those that seek to do it in as little time as possible - I am in awe of their athletic abilities, but when you do it flat out at those sorts of speeds, then for me, it ceases to be a tour and becomes an unofficial race.

Of course, you could take more than 2 to 3 weeks and meander a bit to see a lot more, but then comes the world of pain from (s)he who you have left at home for so long :lol:

2-3 weeks is perfect. Ive done it in 19 days and 16 days and enjoyed every bit of it. Some days I only did 35 miles some days 80+. A longer time scale offers more opportunities to be distracted and/or diverted. Camping offers even more flexibility. My wife relishes my touring absences - she gets to stay in bed later and I'm not bickering with my sons.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Si, that rhymes, oops.

My LEJOG route takes 11 days at 80 odd miles a day.

The Race Against Time people do it in 5 days. LE to Bristol on the first day! I'm driving one of the support vehicles this May for them, and I'm fascinated about the idea of doing it so fast.

But, and it's a big but, half the interest of doing E2E is the entertainment of British geography, topography, and visiting loads of different people and places. The longer you take, the better, but you have to balance that against time away from work, home and normality!

E2E both ways, like I did last July, is wonderful, but it needs 3 weeks of work, not a week and a half.

Mick F. Cornwall
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

I did it in 13 days last time.

Next time I run JOG-LE I'd like to take a little longer and take in a few more sights.

19-21 days perhaps.

Gazza