Cycle Touring and married/family

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
barn

Cycle Touring and married/family

Post by barn »

Hi just wondering if many of you tourists out there are married and with a family.I am lucky as my wife lets me go for 3-4 weeks a year,but i get 6 weeks a year so i do holiday with them also.But in saying that i do do the family thing when i am here so the way i look at it is it is a reward as i dont go to pubs etc.But i do sometimes get guilty that i spend time riding and planning overseas trips any one out there the same.
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

Hi Barn.

I am just starting to do touring this year. Starting with an JOG2LE in September. I have kids and wife. And I too am VERY blest as the wife is alowing a 2 week holiday to do this.

Or... is she wanting me away for the peace and quiet ????

hmmmmmm
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Me too. I'm in the same situation, almost. The girls have grown up and left home, with me and Mrs Mick F on our own. She's NOT a cyclist at all, but she lets me indulge from time to time, away LEJOG'ing etc.

Mrs Mick F is wonderful. She's supportive in all I do and we love each other dearly.

Mick F. Cornwall
stof

Post by stof »

I try to do both. I tour with friend for 2-3 weeks a year when my partner and kids are usually away doing the summer festival circuit. Other times we go together and have taken up to 6 week tours with the kids in trailers and/or on a tandem.

It is hard work touring with the kids as you need so much kit and they don't want to spend too much of the day stuck in a trailer, but it can be great to stay in one place a couple of days and go on day rides to visit fun things, then pack up, move to a new place and do the same...
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

I finally managed to get my wife touring last May. Only a short 4 day tour, but it's a start. My son is a very keen cyclist, as is his wife. They have a 2 year old daughter who accompanies them in a child trailer on day rides.
They regularly go camping and the little girl loves it.

If you are really lucky, and you have a wife/husband who cycles and loves the outdoors, you've got it made, as it's addictive and you'll share a common interest.
A previous girlfriend of mine adored cycling and had withdrawal symptoms if we couldn't get out.
(Now, where did I put her telephone number?) :wink:
Si

Post by Si »

Mrs Si does normally let me out for a couple of weeks per year, but I tend to spend this digging holes rather than riding bikes!

But, as my work load is a little less stressful this summer I'm hoping for some long weekends on the tandem and the odd week's tour here and there.
georgew

Post by georgew »

I'm can't imagine why everyone doesn't retire and then spend as long as you like wandering around. 8)
I'm off for around six weeks cycling/camping down from Belgium to the south-west of France and then up to the Loire valley and across to Roanne before heading north again. Nothing too structured, but planning as I go and pedalling every day on small roads. I'm going to test my new trailer (Extrawheel)and see how it copes which should be interesting as I've always used panniers before.
softpedal

cycle touring

Post by softpedal »

Got back into cycing last year after many years lay off.
Hoping to tour this year, nothing to adventurous, tostart with.
Wife does'nt cycle but doesnt mind me getting out of her hair.
She's invovled in numerous patchwork clubs which take to various parts of the country. Doesnt like driving so I sort myself a cycle route for the area, bit of off road if possible, and off we go for the day.
:D :D Retirements a wonderfull state.
barn

Post by barn »

Lusting my Pinnarello wrote:Hi Barn.

I am just starting to do touring this year. Starting with an JOG2LE in September. I have kids and wife. And I too am VERY blest as the wife is alowing a 2 week holiday to do this.

Or... is she wanting me away for the peace and quiet ????

hmmmmmm

Yeah maybe the missus just wants the piece and quiet :( I know when i talk to a lot of my mates they all say no way would they be allowed to do the same.But in saying that my wife understands me and i have allways loved travelling she does too but not on a bicycle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

1. Is there a website for Patchwork Clubs?
2. We've all heard of "Grass Widows", is there a term for "Cycling Widows"?

These questions supplied by Mrs Mick F.

Sorry ...

Mick F. Cornwall
vernon

Post by vernon »

I'm really blessed. My wife counts on me being out for one day every weekend and a week at easter and two to three weeks in the summer. It reduces the clutter and mess that I create, elminates the bickering between me and our boys and she doesn't get crushed when I roll over in bed. :D

She has put up with my five bike collection, it used to be six, without much fuss.

I can't believe my luck!

Mind you she doesn't know the extent of my model aircraft engine and kit collection...... :lol:
annief

Cycle touring and married/family

Post by annief »

I thought I'd better keep the female banner flying and say my husband tolerates my five bikes and my need to cycle too. He actually introduced me to cycling and he has been a saint over the last 20 years and looked after the kids while I go out for a quick spin or longer. Unless you guys are really hiding your pleasure at getting away from the family, I would say encourage your wives out. Make sure they have a decent lightweight bike, cycle at their speed and wait for them! And tell them about the CTC women's cycling weekend of 2/3 June, there may well be a hosted ride near them. Personally, I find cycling with men is a complete bore because mostly the sheer physical strength means they cycle off into the distance and they are less willing to taken in the scenery. An added bonus will be the health of your spouse will be improved and thus their longevity!
horizon

Post by horizon »

If you don't want to cycle alone, the answer is a tandem. Almost all couples have an imbalance in strength/stamina or whatever and even just the prospect of riding home late on a dark wet night on their own bike can put someone off. A tandem transforms cycling for couples. I cannot recommend one highly enough and don't understand why more people don't use them.
georgew

Post by georgew »

horizon wrote:If you don't want to cycle alone, the answer is a tandem. Almost all couples have an imbalance in strength/stamina or whatever and even just the prospect of riding home late on a dark wet night on their own bike can put someone off. A tandem transforms cycling for couples. I cannot recommend one highly enough and don't understand why more people don't use them.

Sharing a tandem with my wife certainly transformed mine and I was very lucky to escape serious injury. It comes in the same category as teaching your wife to drive and should come with a health warning.
Si

Post by Si »

horizon wrote:If you don't want to cycle alone, the answer is a tandem. Almost all couples have an imbalance in strength/stamina or whatever and even just the prospect of riding home late on a dark wet night on their own bike can put someone off. A tandem transforms cycling for couples. I cannot recommend one highly enough and don't understand why more people don't use them.

Given the pain that is inflicted upon us when trying to get it in and out of the house - I can understand: not the easiest thing to store! :wink:

But whole heartedlt agree with you in terms of transforming your cycling: Mrs Si gave up on her solo bike but loves the tandem.