Inspiration Required

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaveyDave

Inspiration Required

Post by DaveyDave »

Hi All,
Thinking about what to do touring-wise next year. Wondered whether you guys had any good ideas. Here are the criteria:

1). 3 week duration
2). About 1000miles.
3). Great Scenery.
4). Not in the UK.

Looking forward to your ideas!! - thanks,

Dave
horizon

Re: Inspiration Required

Post by horizon »

dave:

Question 1: to fly or not to fly?

Question 2: challenge ride (i.e. one way with a "destination") or "tour"

Question 3: exotic (i.e. cuturally challenging) or familiar (e.g New Zealand, Norway, North America)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
DaveyDave

Post by DaveyDave »

horizon wrote:dave:

Question 1: to fly or not to fly?

Question 2: challenge ride (i.e. one way with a "destination") or "tour"

Question 3: exotic (i.e. cuturally challenging) or familiar (e.g New Zealand, Norway, North America)

Yes, will need to fly. A tour with a challenge element is attractive IMO. Nothing too culturally challenging - your suggested countries are all good candidates.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I can offer some suggestions for the USA...

The west coast of the USA provides some great scenery. Portland, OR or Seattle, WA to the Redwood Forest and return, perhaps? You could go down the coast and go back via Crater Lake National Forest, Mount Hood National Forest, and the Columbia River valley.

A somewhat less challenging (only for gentler mountains) but wonderfully scenic trip is the Blue Ridge Parkway through Virginia, North Carolina (and maybe another state?). I'd guess it's just under 500 hundred miles, and if you google 'bicycle the Blue Ridge' or something similar, I expect you'll find loads of information. I've cycled several sections, and really enjoyed it.

Other than that, what do you want to see? I imagine you could work out a decent tour route to the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, or any other of the well known national parks in the USA. The Rocky Mountains provide amazing scenery of one sort, and the geysers of Yellowstone, another.

You can also cycle along the major rivers. The scenery varies considerably, for example, from the Mississippi bluffs in Wisconsin and Minnesota, to the wide river and flat river valley further south. River valleys often have reasonable cycle routes, and some have cycle route designations.

Good luck!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Do you want to camp or stay in hotels etc? Do you mind hot weather, or cold/wet weather? I rode about 1000km in two weeks in Norway last summer, and it was spectacular, but demanding.
Willem
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I assume you are the same DaveyDave as "Recently got back from Touring Iceland and had similar problems" - obviously likes islands - so what a about a nice toddle around Corsica or Sardinia - or both if you want a Challenge :D