best sleeping bag - any bargains about?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Miguel Evans

best sleeping bag - any bargains about?

Postby Miguel Evans » 3 Nov 2010, 9:31pm

My 30 year old Chinese no brand sleeping bag is looking a bit sad, so I have been seeking a 3/4 season down bag replacement. I found one in the local Mountain Warehouse. Looked nice - down from £180 to 80ish, with an extra 10% discount. When I looked at the specification is was only 15% down. The very helpful guy showed me similar bags with only 10% down (90% feather).
I fancy a down one because of the good warmth to weight (and squashability), but it seems a lot of money when my old one is 70% down/feather.
Are there any bargains around elsewhere with a higher percentage of down?
hwyl.

Richard

Re: best sleeping bag - any bargains about?

Postby Richard » 3 Nov 2010, 9:43pm

Sut Mae!
Take a look at Alpkit (www.alpkit.com) - they do good value down bags but stock can sometimes be patchy.
I have a pipedream 400 - seems a good bag but not used it in anger yet.
Rich.

basket rider

Postby basket rider » 4 Nov 2010, 8:50am

i recently went into a go outdoors store and i think they had some bags for around a hundred pounds. Not to sure on the specs but might be worth a look

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 4 Nov 2010, 9:21am

I am thinking of getting a Vango Venom 300 bag. supposedly 90/10 down/feather, just over 800g and available for less than 80 beer tokens if you google it. May not do for a true 3 season bag but I do not intend camping in the snow.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 4 Nov 2010, 9:28am

Richard wrote:Sut Mae!
Take a look at Alpkit (http://www.alpkit.com) - they do good value down bags but stock can sometimes be patchy.
I have a pipedream 400 - seems a good bag but not used it in anger yet.
Rich.

Their kit is good VFM but they never have anything in stock. How do they stay in business.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 4 Nov 2010, 1:15pm

+ 1 for Alpkit sleeping bags - on paper,at least, they look like excellent performers at a great price...
Got some of their dry bags, very good VFM, effective, too :-)
As for bag, have got ME LightLine, my second since 1994, never regretted spending the money. Cosy, well-made, light, packs down well, full of helpful features, M'sRP a bit painful, got mine in a sale :lol:
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

meic

Postby meic » 4 Nov 2010, 4:21pm

I have a Pipedream too. It's bendigedig!

You have to keep your eyes on the site as they do come in from time to time. Maybee they wait for enough people to place a request to be notified.

Warmth, weight and packing size are all excellent. I have not been so impressed by a piece of equipment for years.
Yma o Hyd

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 4 Nov 2010, 4:42pm

I've heard down sleeping bags can clump and become useless if you get them wet (perhaps reade this bit on down sleeping bags first: http://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-bags/)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 4 Nov 2010, 6:35pm

Don't know about Mountain Equipment sleeping bags but the zips on their jackets are poor. The sale rail is usually full of jackets with broken zips.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 4 Nov 2010, 6:48pm

PHD make beautiful down bags. Its worth looking out for their twice yearly sales which make the prices less eye watering.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

b1galus

Postby b1galus » 4 Nov 2010, 10:09pm

i use a Rab ladakh it is now 12 years old and as good now as it ever was. it was expensive but realistically it has been used over a thousand bed nights at least so it works out bloody reasonable

PW

Postby PW » 4 Nov 2010, 10:20pm

Do Buffalo still make their Pertex/Fibre Pile design?
Not hyper small packing but warm - even when wet - self drying, water resistant to 1/2" per hour and last years. Mine must be 25 years old and I'm still using it. I'll put up with something the size of a small football in the pannier if it guarantees a comfortable night.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Postby noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk » 5 Nov 2010, 12:29am

I have found this http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx very good and exceptional value.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 5 Nov 2010, 1:15am

Alpkit is probably the best value good kit. I'd recommend the Pipedream 400 as a cycling bag.
Their business model is to sell their kit and use the money they get to fund the next batch of kit. It means there are gaps between selling out of one batch and the next batch arriving but it's the reason why the value is so good. If you are buying now for next year's tour you just have to keep an eye on them and buy when they have stock. If you are buying for a tour in the next couple of months you've often got a problem.

PHD make very good gear but it's on the pricey side. However a couple of times a year they have a sale and you can get some stuff cheaper and/or to an unusual spec - I got a Minim 300 (usually only available in 400 or 600).

Forward planning saves money!

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 5 Nov 2010, 12:49pm

iandriver wrote:I've heard down sleeping bags can clump and become useless if you get them wet (perhaps reade this bit on down sleeping bags first: http://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-bags/)

I never get this recurring moan about down 'bags (No offence meant, IanDriver...)! Sure a down bag will be a nightmare to try to sleep in if you let it get wet, but A) any bag will be a misery to try to sleep in if the user's silly enough to let it get wet, and B) it's not hard to keep your bag bone-dry, if you put even the smallest amount of thought into your preparation, i.e. pop it into first one plastic shopping bag, & then, another, open end first... Job Done!
Have been using down 'bags, dryly, for years - very happy! :D
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)