lejog help required for 10 day ride

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andrew3809

lejog help required for 10 day ride

Post by andrew3809 »

Hi all

Myself and a good friend are planning to attempt the lejog ride for charity in May/june. Were hoping to complete this in 10days or so using camp sites or youth hostels if possible. Im here to beg for help and advice!!! Has anybody completed this in the same sort of timeframe? Best routes and equiptment? Were both new to touring so any help would be greatily appreciated.

Kind regards

Andrew
MadJock!

same time!

Post by MadJock! »

Andrew, we're starting on 10th may, but using pals houses and B&B's. Hope to do 10 days or less, and raise a pile of money for charity
eileithyia

Re: lejog help required for 10 day ride

Post by eileithyia »

andrew3809 wrote:Hi all

Myself and a good friend are planning to attempt the lejog ride for charity in May/june. Were hoping to complete this in 10days or so using camp sites or youth hostels if possible. Im here to beg for help and advice!!! Has anybody completed this in the same sort of timeframe? Best routes and equiptment? Were both new to touring so any help would be greatily appreciated.

Kind regards

Andrew

If you're new to touring are you doing it with vehicle support? If not get used to riding with a loaded bike by doing some hostel weekends, and riding for more than one day at a time. Make sure your saddle is comfortable for you. Personally if planning to do it over 10 days I would not consider camping (unless someone else is pitching/striking tents for you ), 70 - 80 miles loaded up and then the prospect of sorting out tent etc then packing again the next day adds considerably to your day, especially if not an experienced cycle-camper. It also means carrying more kit adding to the weight you are carrying.
Best wishes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Andrew!

I'll PM you later with info on my route.

I've done JOGLE with panniers, and LEJOGLE with a trailer. All non-supported.

YHA and B+B.

Good Luck!!

Mick F. Cornwall
andrew3809

Post by andrew3809 »

Many thanks for all your pledges of help and advice. I appreciate 10 days unsupported is a tall order if camping but I love a challenge! We recently completed a jungle marathon for the same charity so we both feel fit and ready for it. Does anybody know of good bikes to use from experience? I am planning on using a good racing bike at the moment but not sure if this can be loaded with equipment?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Andrew.

My route:

Mon 3rd July - Drive to Land’s End with Bike in the boot. Cycle home to Gunnislake - 84 miles.

Tue 4th July - Rest.
Pack up luggage and prepare Bike and Trailer.

Wed 5th July - Set off for Bridgwater - 87 miles
Thur 6th July - Ross-on-Wye - 75 miles
Fri 7th July - Wrexham - 98 miles
Sat 8th July - Arnside - 100 miles
Sun 9th July - Carlisle - 61 miles
Mon 10th July - Edinburgh - 93 miles
Tue 11th July - Pitlochry - 71 miles
Wed 12th July - Inverness - 87 miles
Thur 13th July - Helmsdale - 70 miles

Fri 14th July - Remove Trailer and head for John O’Groats, turn round, and then back to Helmsdale - 106 miles

Sat 15th July - Inverness - 70 miles
Sun 16th July - Pitlochry - 87 miles
Mon 17th July - Edinburgh - 71 miles
Tue 18th July - Carlisle - 93 miles
Wed 19th July - Arnside - 61 miles
Thur 20th July - Wrexham - 100 miles
Fri 21st July - Ross-on-Wye - 98 miles
Sat 22nd July - Street - 75 miles
Sun 23rd July - Gunnislake! - 94 miles. Remove Trailer.
Mon 24th July - Land’s End - 84 miles.

The booking of the accommodation was a problem. I intended doing the ride in June, but it was too difficult, so the ride slipped to July.
I'm lucky, living 80 odd miles from LE, so the first stop is at home.
I'm also lucky that my sister lives in Wrexham. Free accomm!
The rest was YHA and a hotel in Helmsdale (50 odd miles from JOG), but on the way north, Street YHA was fully booked, so I went B+B in Bridgwater.

10 and a half days cycling each way, average of 80 odd miles a day.

Detailed route:
Day 1.
LE, Penzance, Hale, off the A30 and via Connor Downs to Camboure and Redruth, Scorrier, Chacewater, back onto A30 to Truro.
A390 to Prubus, St Austell, Lostwithiel, Liskeard, Callington and Gunnislake.

Day 2.
A390 to Tavistock, A386 to Okehampton, B3215 and A3072 to Copplestone, then A377 to Crediton. A3072 to Tiverton, A361 dual carriageway to M5 junct 27, then A38 via Wellington and Taunton to Bridgwater.

Day 3.
A38 to Bristol, A4 and A403 to Old Severn Bridge, A466 up the Wye Valley to Monmouth and thence to Welsh Bicknor YHA.

Day 4.
A4137 to the A49. Then via Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow and Shrewsbury. A528 via Ellesmere to Wrexham.

Day 5.
Back roads to Chester via Gresford, Rossett, and Pulford. Out of Chester on A56 via Helsby an Frodsham to Warrington. A49 via Wigan, Standish an to Preston. A6 via Garstang, Lancaster and Carnforth. Along tiny roads to Arnside YHA.

Day 6.
B5282 via Milnthorpe and Crooklands an onto A65 to Kendal. A6 over Shap Summit to Shap Village, and then via Penrith to Carlisle YHA.

Day 7.
A7 via Langholm, Teviothead, Hawick, Selkirk, Galashiels, Stow, Gorebridge to Edinburgh. Choice of YHAs.

Day 8.
A90 and cycle route (Bikes not allowed on some of A90) to Forth Road Bridge. Minor roads to Inverkeithing, Cowdenbeath, Kelty, Kinross, Glen Farg to Perth. The Old A9(where you can) or A9 dual carriagway via Birnam, Dunkeld, Ballinluig to Pitlochry YHA.

Day 9. Old A9, and cycle route via Blair Athol, Calvine, Drumochter Pass, Dalwhinnie to Newtonmore. Then via B roads to Aviemore and on to Carrbridge. Old A9 and cycle route over Slochd Summit to Moy and Daviot. On to the A9 dual carriageway down a very long hill to Inverness YHA.

Day 10.
A9 over Kessock Bridge, via Tore on Black Isle, over Cromarty Firth, then B817 via Alness, Invergordon, and Milton. Back on A9 via Tain, over Dornoch Firth, to Goslspie, Brora and to Helmsdale. Belgrave Hotel, but there's a Hostel there now.

Day 11.
Short hop to Jog. There for lunch time! Up the A9 via The Breas of Berridale and Dunbeath to Latheron. A99 to Wick, then off to Jog via Reiss, Keiss and Freswick.

Simple!!!!!

Then head home!

Mick F. Cornwall
andrew3809

Post by andrew3809 »

Thankyou so much Mick

Thats a very impressive bike ride!! I hope you enjoyed yourself. What kind of bike did you use?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a Mercian Vincitore, with 20mm Vitoria Rubino tyres, a 27sp Campag Mirage Triple, Mavic Ma3 rims, and I love it to bits!

Here's my rig, hiding from the rain, just south of Bristol.

Mick F. Cornwall

andrew3809

Post by andrew3809 »

After alot of research and advice from experts at my local bike shop, we've decided to use specialized tricross bikes for the trip. We've managed to find them at £580 which is a great price. Have any of you experienced bikers used them before or know people who have? As always any help at all would be fantastic ,

Kind regards

Andy
vernon

Post by vernon »

Does the £580 of bike include mudguards and pannier rack(s)

Have you bought the bikes?
andrew3809

Post by andrew3809 »

Hi Vernon

No it's for just the bike. Haven't bought them yet, was hoping for a little advice first!

Regards

Andy