Cycling Partner Transcon USA

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ptolemy

Cycling Partner Transcon USA

Post by Ptolemy »

Hello All,

I have never been on this forum until now. Basically, I am a sixty-year-old cyclist looking for a woman cycling partner for crossing the USA
east to west in the winter of 2011-12. I am currently out of country. I have plenty of long-distance touring experience, about 60,000
kilometers in 20 countries. The trip would take about two months. Here's how I do it. 55-85 miles a day. Occasional breaks. Free camping
most nights. Motels about 15 full days out of 60. Restaurants and cooking. I am six feet tall, 190 pounds, university degreed, and a world
traveler. I have already cycled across North America several times, so this in no pipe dream. It's what I do.

If you think you might be interested, and I see your response on this thread, I will answer.
Ptolemy

Re: Cycling Partner Transcon USA

Post by Ptolemy »

Well, no expressions of interest so far which is not surprising. I like long-distance cycling and camping.
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

From August 8, 1994 to November 9, 1994 I cycled France, Germany, Czech, Poland, Ukraine, Moldavia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, and the east coast of the United States---4,500 miles.

From December 7, 2009 to January 30, 2010 I cycle from southeast coastal Florida to the west coast of California.

Still looking for a British rose for a transcontinental cycling tour in the USA east to west in the winter of 2011-12.
horizon

Post by horizon »

ptolemy: your posts seem to indicate a need to demonstrate your own cycling ability to reassure a potential cycling partner. In fact, in finding a potential like-minded soul to spend a lot of intensive time with, it may be better to offer your experience as a balance to their likely inexperience. Speaking to friends and family from time to time it seems that there are many women (but perhaps fewer men?) who would relish the chance of an adventure given a more experienced and understanding partner. That person might not have great cycling ability (yet) but be open minded, up for the hard work and a good cycling companion. With that in mind have you considered a tandem - don't laugh - it would be great for the roads/distances that you suggest, is well supported in the US and would allow you to concentrate on finding the right person rather than the right cyclist.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Hi mate just looked at your forum .I,m going on a 3 month tour of france spain and back .I,m 64 just retired ,how do you keep saddle soreness at bay .I have all the padded short,s etc Do you have any tips Look forward to hearing from you.or anybody who could help Thanks so much regards "Darrell"
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

OK. Thanks for the advice. A tandem? No. Too expensive. I have a bike.
Saddle soreness. Irrelevant to the post.
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

It looks like my post is slipping and nobody is answering, not that I expect some woman to just jump at this. In fact, I don't really expect results. However, cycling across the US southern tier in winter is a very great ride. Summer is way way too hot. I've done it, but it's too hot.
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

I did the pacific coast bicycle route. It's really great for cycling. It's quite hilly, but the fantastic scenery and clean air, the inexpensive hiker-biker campgrounds, and the places to see more than compensate for the difficulty. It goes through Washington, Oregon, and California.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Saddle soreness. Irrelevant to the post.

Arrogant eh?
The poor guy was only asking.
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

Hi Big Jim. Thanks for bumping up my post. You wouldn't happen to know of any women who would like to cycle across the USA with an arrogant [rude word removed], would you?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Hi Big Jim. Thanks for bumping up my post. You wouldn't happen to know of any women who would like to cycle across the USA with an arrogant [rude word removed], would you?

Sorry can't help. I can't understand why they are not queuing up. Wierd.
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

Well, I am complete stranger, so it's not surprising there are no interested parties. I cycled all over England, Scotland, and Wales in the drought summer of 1984. It was the first or second best tour I have ever been on, that one. Actually, I am quite harmless and something of a bore. I just like cycling, and next time I cross the US I'd like to have a lady friend to tour with. I may be an arrogant &X#*%$#, but I have my good points too.
boblo

Post by boblo »

That wooshing is the sound of BigJim's sarcasm going straight over your head. :-)

Take a step back. Unknown bloke comes onto forum, asking for 'female company' for a very long trip in a land, far, far away....

When asked about it he rattles off loads of stats illustrating what a good egg he is though, curiously, not how many female companions he had and how easy/flexible he is to get on with.

When asked to consider an alternative, more inclusive vehicle, this is rejected out of hand without even pretence at consideration. Perhaps this indicates an amount of inflexibility?

When asked a question related to touring, he rejects the question out of hand. Yes the question was off topic but give a little get a little...

Perhaps if you were a little more flexible and little less 'this is what I do, you'll fit in just fine' and drop the rather suspect 'British Rose' request (try English Rose) in favour of 'looking for cycle companion to share in adventure - route and approach by agreement', you might get more response. You never know, you might even get a girly replying :-)
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

"English Rose." OK. Got it. Flexible? Yes. Got it.
Ptolemy

Post by Ptolemy »

The southern tier of the USA is a great winter ride.