Getting back from John O'Groats

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MikeR

Getting back from John O'Groats

Post by MikeR »

Hi,

If this topic has been covered before I apologise for wasting peoples time.

I am doing LEJOG with a friend in July and can easily get to Penzance but getting back from JOG is posing a problem.

I have read that it is possible to book a place on the Puffin Bus but that means that we have to be very accurate with our cycling to make sure we are there on the day and at the time!

Anyone have any other thoughts, ideas, recommendations on getting from JOG to a train station/Inverness?

Any experiences, good or bad of travelling with bikes from JOG.

BTW my start/end point is Reading so I have a fair distance to travel by train.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Mike
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have never found it a problem getting back as there are so many ways to do it.

If you are thinking of train from Inverness then there are trains from Wick and Thurso. Whenever I use the service I don't have a problem getting a bike on it. I have used the Bus service from Wick as it is much quicker and cheaper than the train. When I do this I get Robbie MacDonald (he does a run to Inverness most days in a small van) to take my bike and meet him near the Bus Station in Inverness. Robbies phone is 01955 602024 but don't bother to ring until you know your return day.

Another suggestion; don't get the train from Inverness, hire a car from Europcar in Inverness. They do great rates on one way hire.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Tallis the Tortoise

Post by Tallis the Tortoise »

I have found riding home to be the simplest option, though the time I got the train I went from Helmsdale as there was a Youth Hostle there (not any more though). That meant a comfortable day from JOG to there so an early start to get the train was no problem.

Andy :-)
vernon

Post by vernon »

Getting to a railway station from JOG is easy - it's about 20 miles to Thurso or Wick - pedal there. Both have camp sites and the first train from Thurso is at an unearthly hour like 06:15 and is likely to be available. It is essential that you have a place booked on the train - Scotrail seem to be very inflexible in their imposition of ht etwo bike per train rule.

Of course you could do the ride in the opposite direction and catch a train to Thurso/Wick and it's easier to get a train back from Penzance.

Having done LEJOG and JOGLE - homewards is less problematic and faster from Penzance - more trains, greater bike capacity greater comfort.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry to but in, but ...

Get a bike bag. Get the train to JOG/Wick/Thurso, camp/YHA up there, and post your bag home via Royal Mail at the excellent PO at Canisbay. Cycle to LE, then get the train home with your bike.

A bike in a bag is just luggage. There's loads of space for luggage. It works. No need to worry about the lack of space on the Highland trains.

But, no matter what people say, there is a lack of space for BIKES .....

Mick F. Cornwall
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

my experience of Scotrail is dire. If you want to get on a train, make a reservation and insist on written confirmation that the bike has a place. I've been fobbed off with the 'we don't issue tickets for bikes line' and found that Scotrail had no record of anything when I got to Inverness.

Mind you, I've seen someone with a reservation chucked off the train at Georgemas Junction. Now that's harsh.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

According to the First Scotrail information at Queen St Station Glasgow, all of the Highland trains will be taking 4 bikes in future.

However the bus from Wick is still faster and cheaper and Robbie will take your bike for a couple of quid (his words). If there are more than 4 it could be cheaper still to get the minibus service from JOG. Get the phone number from the Hotel barman or in the gift shop/cafe.
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

On my e2e in September I will be going to John O Groats... and cycling to Lands End... So thanx Vernon for the info.... .... now how do i convert my bob yak into a back pack and sneak that on-board? ANyone done this? Pics?
flash

Post by flash »

I thought the reason for going LE to JOG was the wind. Is that not the case, as it would be much easier for me to do it tother way round
robgul

Post by robgul »

flash wrote:I thought the reason for going LE to JOG was the wind. Is that not the case, as it would be much easier for me to do it tother way round

The wind direction thing is an urban myth - and statistically confusing too. If you cycle, the wind is ALWAYS towards you :-)

We did JOGLE (see No 176 on the Ultimate Links site) and had minimal issues with headwinds (or tailwinds !)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

First time I did LEJOG with my wife, we did it in a leisurely 16 days and for 12 of those had the wind against us.
flash

Post by flash »

Rob,
I've read your JOG LE account. Am I imagining it or do you mention headwinds throughout your journey and they seem to be a pain as opposed to a myth.
I prefer tailwinds myself.
robgul

Post by robgul »

flash wrote:Rob,
I've read your JOG LE account. Am I imagining it or do you mention headwinds throughout your journey and they seem to be a pain as opposed to a myth.
I prefer tailwinds myself.

Joe wrote most of the text, I did the editing and put it all together !!

.... my recollection was that we had a headwind for the bit from JOG to Wick the first afternoon, driving rain but not directly at us for the day from Wick and then about half a day of headwind between Bristol & Taunton.

Other than that the wind was not an issue - IIRC we had the wind behind us from Carlisle to the Mersey crossing at Widnes so on balance I would say the wind direction effect was probably neutral.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
flash

Post by flash »

JOG to LE would be easier for me as I'm in Bristol and could leave the travel arrangements a little flexible. It would be a pain to have to get to JOG at a specific time because you had a train booked for a certain date.
Thanks for the info. Good write up.........
rexlerego

Post by rexlerego »

I understand from various reports that it is getting easier to get back from J O G with a bike on the train...I have also heard of some real nightmares.

I cycled up to J O G last year. I first posted my bike bag ahead to a Guest House in Wick. After my ride, I cycled back to Wick packed up my bike and arranged to have it collected by ParcelForce. After a night out in Wick I enjoyed a lazy trip home stopping off for a couple of days in Edinburgh. The bike was waiting for me at home in South Wales when I got back. ParcelForce charged £31.

On the same trip I met a party of Dutch Cyclists who had been refused entry to the train even though they had prebooked tickets and bike space !