Kids Touring Bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Gavin Hill

Kids Touring Bike

Postby Gavin Hill » 19 Jan 2011, 1:40pm

Looking for a suitable bike for my 9 year old son for 7+ day tour round the Scottish Highlands.
Currently he has a £100+ 24" Raleigh MTB on which I fitted road tryes. I have taken him away overnight on this (40 miles there and 40 back - so I know he can do the mileage), but the bike been "abused" and is too heavy for a longer, hillier tour.

The problem is:
- I want something that will cope with the trip - suitable gearing, reliable and not too heavy
- Have looked at the Isalbikes range and whilst they look great they're too expensive at £400-500 when he's growing like a weed and doesn't look after his bikes
- Doesn't need to have load carrying capability (I'll be doing that!)

I would really appreciate recommendations on a reasonable bike around the £200 mark (if such a thing exists!)

eileithyia

Re: Kids Touring Bike

Postby eileithyia » 19 Jan 2011, 5:14pm

Does Isla not have a second hand market, becuase often bikes are returned when upgrading to the next size.
Decathlon used to do a very nice children's road bike but seem to have stopped doing this, my son's came at around £200
Trek do a children's road bike, but again a quick look at their site does not show this only mtb style bikes.

Ebay?
An add on sales and wanted on here?
Do you have a local 'go-ride' club near by that might have someone looking to sell a secondhand bike? BC website will direct you to your nearest one.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Gavin Hill

Postby Gavin Hill » 20 Jan 2011, 7:27am

eileithyia wrote:Does Isla not have a second hand market, becuase often bikes are returned when upgrading to the next size.
Decathlon used to do a very nice children's road bike but seem to have stopped doing this, my son's came at around £200
Trek do a children's road bike, but again a quick look at their site does not show this only mtb style bikes.

Ebay?
An add on sales and wanted on here?
Do you have a local 'go-ride' club near by that might have someone looking to sell a secondhand bike? BC website will direct you to your nearest one.

Thanks - all good suggestions. I will definately follow these up. Forgive my ignorance but what does BC stand for?

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 20 Jan 2011, 8:16am

There is a company called Hawk that sell cheap bikes.
They are not the best in the world but by no means the worst. They are basic simple bikes and with the sale at the moment £150 for a junior road bike.

How tall is your son? If he is about 5ft would you extend your budget to £350 for a Mercian compact.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 20 Jan 2011, 8:43am

Sorry, British Cycling used to be the BCF.
The Go-Ride clubs do some good stuff with kids getting them into cycling and teaching them handling skills, also gives a friend base of like minded people where you canfind out about bikes and kit, also might be able to pick up secondhand stuff.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Kevin K

Postby Kevin K » 20 Jan 2011, 10:37am

Gavin Hill wrote:Have looked at the Isalbikes range and whilst they look great they're too expensive at £400-500 when he's growing like a weed and doesn't look after his bikes
I've bought and sold several Islabikes as the kids have grown. I don't think I've lost money compared to buying a cheaper cycle, and none of them have been in perfect condition (i.e. used and to some extent abused as would be normal with a kids bike).
Kevin K. Glasgow

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 20 Jan 2011, 11:12am

Might be worth trying to get hold of a Carerra Subway 24 which was what Isla Rowntree designed for Halfords when she worked for them. I got one for my daughter off ebay for £50. It is flat bar and only has 7 gears but the rear cassette is an 11-32 and it is incredibly light. It also has braze-ons for racks, mudguards, bottle cages etc.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 20 Jan 2011, 11:25am

gaint MTX bought my daughter one If you can find a 2009 model they come with a rigid fork rather than 2010 one which has telescopic. Light bike with short cranks and shorter reach brakes.
NUKe

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 20 Jan 2011, 10:30pm

A small size mtb with 26 inch wheels might just do the job, and will not need to be replaced quite so soon. Try to find one with a more upright geometry such as the special women's models by Cube. This is the kind of bike that I got my not very tall son when he was almost 10, and even I can ride the bike quite well. The biggest issue is that these bikes wil have 170 mm cranks (which is a scandal for short adults as well).
Willem