TOURING SLOVENIA

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tressell69

TOURING SLOVENIA

Post by tressell69 »

Heading for Slovenia at the start of May 2011.
Anyone done any bike touring / camping.
Were looking to fly to Munich then overnight train to Venice and work from there towards Trieste, Slovenia (Lake Bled) and Croatia.
9 days to pack in as much as we can.
Any tips or pointers appreciated.
b1ke

Re: TOURING SLOVENIA

Post by b1ke »

Toured Slovenia last year on a tandem. We came in from Landava near the Hungarian border, went through Ptui and down to Ljubljana before going south to Croatia. Don't think we took the most scenic route - the Alps in the north would be better I'd have thought.

With regard to the cycling, it's pretty much ok though the main roads are busy (as you'd expect). I'd recommend taking a detailed map and looking for the backroads. Very beautiful countryside with plenty of hills and probably the most 'developed' of the eastern countries we visited. Seems everywhere that's adopted the Euro has become pricey and Slovenia is no exception. 26 euros to camp in Ptui for one night. Ljubljana is an understated and fairly small capital city which we liked and would recommend.

A good choice for a cycle tour I'd say, but a good map will make it all the better for you. Enjoy the tour 8)
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
toontra

Post by toontra »

b1ke wrote:Seems everywhere that's adopted the Euro has become pricey and Slovenia is no exception. 26 euros to camp in Ptui for one night. Ljubljana is an understated and fairly small capital city which we liked and would recommend.

Were you camping the whole time or did you try any hostels/hotels?

Also (slightly OT) how was Croatia in comparison?
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Were you camping the whole time or did you try any hostels/hotels?

Yes, we camped the whole time. We were on a fairly tight budget.

Also (slightly OT) how was Croatia in comparison?

Croatia was interesting. We were on the main coast road going south from Rijeka and I wouldn't recommend it. There's a write-up of our experiences here :arrow: http://farewellburt.wordpress.com/pilots-pages/croatia/.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
sweatysock

Post by sweatysock »

I was there in 1989... much will have changed, but not the stunning scenery. I remember Llubijana being charming, and the town nearest the airport (?) was industrial. The cycle to Bled and Bohinj(sp?) was wonderful, if rather exhausting with some steep climbs between.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

sweatysock wrote:the town nearest the airport (?)

Kranj

The Soca gorge is very interesting. In places it looks narrow enough to jump across as the top. Some of the recent Prince Caspian film was filmed there. In the area of Most na Soci - Tolmin - Bovec.

We avoided the pass south out of Bohinj by taking the train through the tunnel. Only runs a few times a day so check the timetable in advance.
spoke'nword

Post by spoke'nword »

I've not cycled there but I have paddled the Soca in a kayak and it is one of the most stunning places I've ever been. Unlike most of the alps the river is spring fed rather than glacial melt and is so clear that each stone on the bottom can be clearly seen even when it's 20 ft deep.

We rented an appartment and didn't even need to lock the door according to the owners as crime is so rare. Our friends stayed at a campsite in Kobraid just down the road and said it was one of the best the had been to in a 3 month tour of europe. People are lovely and english is the second language. The tourist information people, at Bovec, are very helpful and can't do enough for you. We mislaid our return air ticket code and the local school let us go online and access our emails to get it.

Geat alpine botanical garden and Triglav pass has 50 hairpin bends. There was a thunder storm every afternoon in July and it was a relief as the humidity was so high in the afternoon.

I'll certainly be going back.
Steve

Post by Steve »

tressell69 wrote:Heading for Slovenia at the start of May 2011.
Anyone done any bike touring / camping.
Were looking to fly to Munich then overnight train to Venice and work from there towards Trieste, Slovenia (Lake Bled) and Croatia.
9 days to pack in as much as we can.
Any tips or pointers appreciated.

A couple of years ago I flew to Venice, then caught train to Trieste & cycled through Slovenia to Hungary (via Moravske Toplice). The coastal plain in Italy looks very dull & I wonder whether flying to Munich is the best way to get to Slovenia? Nice country, not too far between places, but main roads can be busy & they drive very fast - worth taking your time & seeking out the back roads instead (often gravel, not tarmac, & can be very hilly, even away from the proper mountains). Quite expensive living costs, B&B usually about 20 - 30 euros although much cheaper in some places. Overall very enjoyable cycling though
jacobean

Post by jacobean »

I cycled through Slovenia en route to Croatia.

Extremely nice little country with friendly relaxed people.

For the most parts, the roads are great for cycling.

However, there are some shoulder-less routes which have alot of artic lorries + on them
which makes for some very nerve wracking cycling. Avoid these if you can.
StirlingCrispin

Post by StirlingCrispin »

Many years ago I rode from Trieste through the Soca valley and Bovec and into Austria and Tarvisio.
Spectacular is the best word for it. It was certainly more commercial in 2002 than in my first trip there (kayaking in 1987) but still relatively unspoilt.
Agree with SpokenWord about kayaking the Soca - May will be possibly be too early for a rafting trip, but well worth considering.
Some of my photos are here: http://www.crispinbennett.freedomnames.co.uk/Italy.htm

Haven't cycled in Ljubljana but did spend a week there on business two years ago. A magical city with a wonderful feel to it. Well worth spending a day or two sight-seeing if that's your thing (and I'm not a city person).
JAYKAY

Post by JAYKAY »

Have a look at http://www.slovenia.info/ and http://www.slovenia.info/en/Turno%28tre ... 2&ctgrdr=1 , Slovenian tourist board website.
Slovenia is small, so you could fly to Graz in Austria, take a train to Maribor and basically cycle through Slovenia into Croatia.

Places to see: Lakes Bled and Bohinj, River Soča, Tolmin Gorge, Postojna cave, Ptuj, The Solčava District, capitol Ljubljana, ...

PM me if u need any other info. I`m Slovenian :D
bliss

Post by bliss »

You can fly direct to Ljubljana with Easy jet or Ryan air to Klagenfurt (not sure about the bikes on either of these airlines) from Klagenfurt you can cycle to Slovenia, I cycle round this area most weekends. if you fly to Munich best to get a train to Villach 3 to 5 hours depending on stops then cycle to Slovenia.

Also train from Munich stops at Salzburg some very nice cycling round this area (look for the Eddy Merckx classic on Google this givers a very scenic route just outside Salzburg )
T other Dave

Post by T other Dave »

Can recomend the Soca valley as others never cycled there but kayaked the Soca and stayed at camp lazar in Kobarid witch is a top campsite.
Dave
Hooter

Post by Hooter »

I credit card toured through both the south and north around 5 years ago on the way in and out of Croatia. I thought the winelands and limestone areas to the south west made for particularly good bike touring country, also the rural areas in the north east were very pleasant.
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

Toured Slovenia a couple of years a go. Went round and through the country twice.

See www.slogfester.cycling-challenge.com (annoyingly starts at the end, so go here for start: http://www.slogfester.cycling-challenge.com/page/4/)

Highly recommended... fire away any questions