Waterproof cycling jacket.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Starfire

Waterproof cycling jacket.

Post by Starfire »

Can anyone recommend a good quality cycling jacket that is waterproof and suitable for wearing hours on end in bad weather? I've tried several jackets over the years and most of them have let the water in after a couple of hours. I'm looking for a jacket that is cut especially for cycling and not a general recreation waterproof jacket.
boink

Re: Waterproof cycling jacket.

Post by boink »

Altura nevis. Available under £40 and pretty reliable/breathable. has kept me as dry as I need to be in some monsoon like downpours. And sealskinz for the old tootsies.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I've got a Nevis, and while it is waterproof, it's not very breathable, so you just get wet from the inside.

I think the waterproof breathable jacket is something of a Holy Grail for cyclists. Even £150+ Goretex jackets, don't seem to cut the mustard.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
meic

Post by meic »

I think that some of us, who sweat rather profusely are doomed to seek the Holy Grail at great expense forever.
On the other hand, the less sweaty ones amongst us will find satisfaction and quite possibly without spending a fortune either.

I put more faith in pit zips and vents than I do in breathable fabrics, though ideally I would like both.

In practice I get soaked from inside or outside and learn to live with it.

I keep reading reviews of jackets and building up my hopes but they are probably not written by sweaty people.
I almost bought one of "the" Gores, fortunately a fellow rider beat me to it and I saw the insides of it when we reached the first control. He wasnt happy.
Yma o Hyd
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Keep a look at places like TKMaxx

I picked up an Adidas Goretex Paclite jacket for £30, and there were a few similar bargains.

It takes some looking, but they often have no real idea of what they are selling!
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

meic wrote:I think that some of us, who sweat rather profusely are doomed to seek the Holy Grail at great expense forever.
On the other hand, the less sweaty ones amongst us will find satisfaction and quite possibly without spending a fortune either.

I put more faith in pit zips and vents than I do in breathable fabrics, though ideally I would like both.

In practice I get soaked from inside or outside and learn to live with it.

I keep reading reviews of jackets and building up my hopes but they are probably not written by sweaty people.
I almost bought one of "the" Gores, fortunately a fellow rider beat me to it and I saw the insides of it when we reached the first control. He wasnt happy.

I glow phenomenally. Traditional 'breatheable' fabrics might as well be bin liners for me. I'm wetter riding in them than I would be in torrential rain without them. The only thing I've found which keeps rain out without marinading me is this... http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/ ... UITOUNISEX

Even then I wouldn't have bought one except that it was reduced from £205 to £97, in a nice roomy XXL for me. It has really long pit zips, handy napoleon pockets, and is very waterproof and windproof. For such a thin and soft material it provides remarkable insulation. And it isn't completely cycling-specific; I wore it through the winter when walking or just gadding about.

But I still wouldn't bother cycling in it above about 10 degrees centigrade, at which point even this starts to cook me and I prefer being warm and wet.

Graham

EDIT: It also has the velcro closing gusset cuffs to let air up the arms like the American one below. And the pit zips go from the elbow almost to the hips. And it has a hood. What it doesn't have, and probably should have, is a vent at the back.
Last edited by Malaconotus on 7 Feb 2011, 12:41am, edited 1 time in total.
noshbygosh

Post by noshbygosh »

An American perspective. It's expensive but worth every penny. See:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/store/i ... jacket.cfm

or:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/store/i ... jacket.cfm

FYI, this coop was started by a group of cyclists in Portland, Oregon, an area where it rains a lot. They were disillusioned with the choices available for wet-weather cycling gear. Their stuff is outstanding.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The truth is than nothing will keep you dry all the time, unless you are happy to cycle really slowly.
The problem isn't keeping the rain out, it's preventing yourself getting soaked by sweat, and condensation forming on the inside of the jacket.
The best options are:
a) Paramo (Velez Light or 3rd element are probably best for cycling).
This really has no condensation, but is warm so you get sweaty outside of the winter season. It also needs looking after - soap washes rather than detergent, and occasional Nikwax reproofing. It's also fairly bulky when you aren't wearing it.
b) An eVent jacket such as the dhb Wickham (Wiggle) or Montane Stormrider.
eVent is currently the most breatheable waterproof fabric. It's good enough to use as a windproof on a dry cold day, and the inside wouldn't normally get wet from condensation until after the outer face wets out (i.e the rain stops beading up). How quickly this happens depends on the state of the water repellency of the outer fabric. A new jacket could last a couple of hours; an old neglected jacket could wet out in 10 minutes. Once the jacket has wetted out, it stops breathing properly and behaves much like any other comparatively cheap waterproof - eg Altura.
c) a traditional cape (heavyweight is best)
This will do a good job of keeping you dry, with the exception of that part of the back where the non-breathable fabric lies against you. It also keeps the upper legs fairly dry. However they add a fair bit of wind resistance - enough to knock 1 or 2 mph off your riding speed, and they are somewhat dodgy in windy weather, possibly dangerously so if there's traffic about.
4wils

Post by 4wils »

Having taken up the 'bent position' recently I have been having similar thoughts. Not only do I end up as wet inside as out (the sleaves are particularly bad) but the pockets/longer back of a traditional jacket tend to bunch up on the seat and are uncomfortable. A visit to Go Outdoors got me thinking about Paramo stuff, I have had a walking jacket made by them for maybe 14 years - waterproof and extremely breathable still. Yes, you do have to be careful how you wash them, but without the laminated construction there is less likelyhood of failure in the fabric. With lighter weight jackets now available it looks like the solution for me, the extra cost will be absorbed in the expected long life of the garment.
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

Old enough to know better but too young to care.
jake

Post by jake »

This thread from '09 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31453&p=248354&hilit=most+breathable+waterproof#p248354 might be of interest.
I would agree with all that's been said about Paramo gear. I've had a Velez for 3 years and it's the best/most breathable waterproof I've ever owned. I will be getting a Quito asap as the lower weight/bulk and large pit vents make it an ideal cycling jacket IMO.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I am a long time user of Geortex Jackets –I am on my fourth incarnation – not the stupidly thin ones but the multi layer varieties – for me they have always done what they claim to do – keep the water out without becoming too boil in the bag.

If possible I buy a technical Jacket – pit zips and double zips at the front – touring cut - not large enough that it is baggy but space for warm clothes underneath if needed
in4time

Post by in4time »

Just wanted to share a few thoughts re Paramo Quito with you all:

Pros: Extensive pit zips are great and adjustable on the move with one hand - just!
Its quite light and comfortable to wear and you don't sound like a crisp packet
Its a good length for cycling although, for me a tad short for hill walking. I do resemble a gibbon though!
The arm length is good and the garment generally feels accommodating and restricting
Its got a great hood
I have the burnt orange type colour for good visibility

Cons: The cuffs get uncomfortably wet with sweat if you you have them next to your skin
The Hood/neck design feels odd and the zip seems to fasten too high on to ones face
The Quito's design means that it has no defined shoulders so you get the feeling that the jacket floats around a bit on
your upper body. For me it sits too close on my nape, and absorbs sweat ( cold sweat! yuk)
Difficult to fasten the hood down comfortably.
A lot of money!

Would I buy it again? Probably not but my reservations might be attributable to my own physiology. Having said that I'm pretty 'standard' in that regard. Trying one on is a must.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

I have a Paramo Quito jacket for cycle touring. Superb in my opinion. I find the hood is actually one of its best features. With the zip right up and the peak of the hood rolled back one fold, you can cycle into a rainy headwind without it blowing back off your head. The sleeves are long - I roll mine back a little.

This is the only cycling jacket I've found that is actually breathable as well as waterproof all day. You can blow through the fabric from inside to out, but not the other way. It is perhaps a little bulky but it can comfortably be worn in warmer weather with just a T shirt underneath. The expense is worthwhile. It will still be functional years after those other supposedly breathable waterproof garments (Gore Tex / Montane / etc nonsense) have been thrown away.

A breathable cycling jacket
loafer

Post by loafer »