3/4 Self Inflating Mattress

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
melon

3/4 Self Inflating Mattress

Post by melon »

In the past i have always got by with a traditional hard cell full length mat. I recently tried an inflating mattress, and i have to say i liked it!

They are a bit heavier though. This has led me to wonder if a 3/4 length (possibly coffin shape) mat might be worthwhile.

does anyone use a 3/4 length mat, and what do you think of them as opposed to full length? what climate did you use it in? do you get cold feet or just sleep with extra thick socks?
tooley92

Re: 3/4 Self Inflating Mattress

Post by tooley92 »

I use a 3/4 length thermarest and I'm 6' 5", I just put my jacket under my legs. So long as your shoulders and hips are on the mat I don't think that it matters.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
hufty

Post by hufty »

I've always used 3/4 length thermarests. The theory is you put stuff under your legs to insulate them from the ground. For backpacking this is fine - just use your rucksack. But in my experience panniers aren't easy to get comfortable on, tend to separate in the night leaving a cold bit where your knees are, and gradually get your sleeping bag covered in road grime. I've never found a jacket provides enough insulation (imho of course). I'm looking at new sleeping mats at the moment and will probably take the weight penalty on the chin and go for a full length one. Not decided between trad thermarest v neo air trek though!

I'm 6'0, tend to sleep on my side, and prefer colder camping eg spring summer autumn UK and Northern Europe - if it's warm it's not such an issue.

Incidently, I always put the thermarest under the groundsheet that way you don't get condensation in the tent.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I've used both a 3/4 length and full length self-inflating mat and much prefer the full length one. If the cold gets into the lower reaches of your legs, it soon travels. For the extra few grammes and the extra few quid, I'd go for a full length mat every time.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Does the weight difference make it worthwhile going down to a 3/4 length version.
I find I get to sleep easier if my feet and legs a warm and comfy.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
melon

Post by melon »

i forgot to mention im bang on 6'. its not just weight but also pack size that is important to me.

i dont have a great deal of clothing to put under my legs, other than my thin cycling jacket which is likely to be wet. i cant see myself unpacking my clothes everyday just to put under my legs.
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

I user a 3/4, and seem to camp mostly in the winter. for smaller pack size I trade cold feet. however, you can help things by zipping up your jacket and slipping it over the bottom of your sleeping bag to provide a little more insulation. this also helps keep your bag dry if it's raining, and your feet happen to touch the tent wall during the night.
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

I'm converted to Thermarest and use a 3/4 Prolite, I use a pannier to rest my feet on or use a stuffsack.
freebooter

Post by freebooter »

I bought a 3/4 self inflating after years using a 3/4 karrimat. However, whereas the karrimat was a genuine 3/4 and only needed a folded up top as a pillow to give full coverage the self-inflator is really a 2/3 length. I would get a full length for general use if buying again. It wouldn't add that much bulk.

I have been thinking about buying one of the insulated airbed types which are much thicker as I don't find the 2cm one I bought to be that much more comfortable than my old karrimat.
HP Velo Fan

Post by HP Velo Fan »

Sorry I can't help with your original question but I use and recommend one of these http://www.gelert.com/products/sleeping ... ker_airbed Way cheaper than any Thermarest and just about the same weight. One massive difference - it's way more comfortable than my brothers Thermarest!
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

I normally use a 120cm mat, and I'm 6' 5". I find that a shorter mattress makes absolutely no difference to comfort. Heat loss is another matter; it hasn't troubled me, but I don't think I've slept on just the short mat below about 2ºC. The few times I've camped below that I've had, or have borrowed, a full length mat or two.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Self inflating mattrasses are old technology. Insulated air mattresses are now the way to go, I think. A good example is the Exped Synmat Basic. It is warmer than a self inflatable, it is more comfortable, it is only 660 gram, and it packs much smaller. It is not even particularly expensive.
Willem
Last edited by willem jongman on 16 Feb 2011, 10:03am, edited 1 time in total.
Gotte

Post by Gotte »

I like the full length self inflators, as, if it's particularly uncomfortable ground, I can fold it in half to double it up for my upper body, and put clothing under my legs.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

I was looking at the 3/4 length Neo to replace my full length self inflating Thermarest as they seem so much more confortable. Thing that puts me off is I really like my TRest chair kit which I cannot use with a Neo.

At 5 10 I reckoned with clothes for a pillow, I was just about totally on the mat, as long as don't slide down the tent!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

You do not need to fold the air mattresses for comfort: they already have it: 6-7.5 cm of it.
Willem