Expedition Tourer on Budget

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
touringrhys

Expedition Tourer on Budget

Postby touringrhys » 15 Feb 2011, 9:12pm

Hi,

I have dreams of doing a tour this summer somewhere like Nepal. Anyway my current touring set up, Road bike and Bob Yak would really cut it. I would like to get a bike with racks and not use the trailer.

As much as i would like a Koga or Thorn bike i simply cant afford one and go on the trip, its a one or the other job. so i was wondering what people might be able to advice on for bikes, ideally it will need to cheep, and if its a bit of self i dont mind as i i can the do work and change parts on it as and when funds allow.

So what type of bike would make a good base to build up on? and has anyone built up there own bikes and taken them far afield. Some of the bikes you see locals riding in these places dont cost upwards of £2000, so you must be able to get by on a less relable bike.

Thanks in advance

TouringRhys

Barrenfluffit

Re: Expedition Tourer on Budget

Postby Barrenfluffit » 15 Feb 2011, 9:31pm

A reasonable quality steel framed mountain bike is where many people start.

touringrhys

Postby touringrhys » 15 Feb 2011, 9:38pm

Any ideas on what to look for in a good mountain bike from, as in angles and what models are ment to be best?

Thanks

snibgo

Postby snibgo » 15 Feb 2011, 10:00pm

Have you thought about going there and buying something locally? It would save you the shipping charges, and I guess you could buy something secondhand cheaper there than here. More likely to be maintainable locally. Sell it at the end of your tour.

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 15 Feb 2011, 10:04pm

I think you would be much safer to get some experience with a good bike like a Thorn Sherpa or a Surly Long Haul Trucker and a tour in Europe. How about Norway for a challenge?
Willem
Last edited by willem jongman on 15 Feb 2011, 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotte

Postby Gotte » 15 Feb 2011, 10:04pm

If you're lucky and know what you're looking for, it's relatively easy to build a good bike off egay. I recently got a Saracen Sahara SE frame off ebay for £25. It's double butted tange tubing, which is not the best, but certainly not the worst. It was basically the full bike minus wheels. I gave it a respray, and fitted some racks and wheels I had in the garage, and voila - new tourer. Look for something local that's pick up only - quite common with bikes, and means there'll be far fewer people bidding. Ask the seller to measure the chain stays. You should be looking at 44 cm plus. I think most older MTBs have slack enough angles to make them ideal.

noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Postby noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk » 15 Feb 2011, 10:07pm

i was in Edinburgh Cycle Co-Op in Manchester a few weeks ago and reckon their Courier 27 would make a really good basis for a tourer - http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12409&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SupersetQRY=Kcourier&f_SortOrderID=-1&f_bct=.

27 speed deore kit; loads of clearance; simple rigid mountain bike style frame etc

horizon

Postby horizon » 15 Feb 2011, 10:16pm

noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk wrote:i was in Edinburgh Cycle Co-Op in Manchester a few weeks ago and reckon their Courier 27 would make a really good basis for a tourer - http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12409&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SupersetQRY=Kcourier&f_SortOrderID=-1&f_bct=.

27 speed deore kit; loads of clearance; simple rigid mountain bike style frame etc

With drop bars it could be the new Sardar.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

DougieB

Postby DougieB » 16 Feb 2011, 10:06am

another option is to pick up a local bike over there, and pass it on to someone when you leave. a friend did the KKH this way, and it was minimal hassle.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 16 Feb 2011, 10:22am

Well... I had precisely the same dilemma. I did this - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36102&hilit=tourer+for+a+song

A bike doesn't have to have a designer label, just good design and components. Its proved itself now and although it hasn't been to India it has had a hammering on British bridleways. Food for thought. If I was going to India instead of starting with a Halfords Carrrera I think I'd go for a Decathlon Rockrider because they have steel frames. There are various models priced from £100. Like Halfords, Decathlon buy their bikes direct, cutting out the wholesalers and the marketing spend. They also accept a smaller final profit margin, making all their decent bikes a bargain. The ancillary components are often much better than is found on a 'brand' of the same cost.

A final tip, download and read the Thorn PDF brochures which are a mine of experience and opinion on everything. They indicate very clearly how you can take a cheap bike bike and adapt it with all the right components for a comfortable and trouble free tour

Good luck

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 16 Feb 2011, 4:05pm

Gotte wrote:If you're lucky and know what you're looking for, it's relatively easy to build a good bike off egay. I recently got a Saracen Sahara SE frame off ebay for £25. It's double butted tange tubing, which is not the best, but certainly not the worst. It was basically the full bike minus wheels.
You have to ask yourself why the seller is selling without the wheels? There may be a perfectly reasonble explanation; it's equally likely that the bike has been crashed. I know, from bitter experience (and I believed the seller's BS). A seller will make some excuse for their absence, when in reality they are buckled from a crash. Meanwhile the frame appears fine, until closer inspection after the purchase. And I've noticed other crashed bikes, minus wheels, on ebay since my bad experience. If you do buy a wheel-less bike, you need an absolutely cast iron reassuance from the seller. But I wouldn't risk it, especially with MTB's, which are crashed more often than road bikes.

Having said that, the steel MTB to exp tourer is a good one, and guess what? I'd be replacing the wheels anyway as a top priority with sound touring wheels, as soon as I aquired such a bike.

Barrenfluffit

Postby Barrenfluffit » 16 Feb 2011, 5:04pm

Yes the next stage having got a decent frame is to to an inventory of the condition and quality of the components. Some will obviously need replacement. Generally if you need to replace a hub you might as well get a whole wheel. A well built wheel rides easier and is much more reliable. Consider replacing bottom bracket, chain and cogs too. To get a comfortable position may mean fiddling with saddles and bars; depends.

Dean

Postby Dean » 16 Feb 2011, 11:00pm

Although I suspect my MTB-converted-to-tourer came in at about £300 (excluding luggage), this was only after much trial-and-error, and is based on a fair bit of knowledge. And ignores the previous incarnations of the bike, which obviously add to the expense. Nice, though.

In the OP's situation, I would be tempted to go with the road-bike+trailer combo - if money's an issue, then the best bike is the one you already have. Just investigate how readily spares would be available, and carry whatever you're unlikely to be able to get on the way.

ad441

Postby ad441 » 17 Feb 2011, 10:22am

On On Inbred is a good choice for a cheapish expedition touring frame. I toured with one in a similar area (Sikkim).
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31627
I believe old steel MTb frames like an Orange P7 are also a good choice.

If you're planning on getting into the mountains (which is probably unavoidable in Nepal), I'd strongly advise against buying a local bike there unless you really like a challenge - they'll be very heavy and with minimal gearing - you'll see loads of bikes down on the plains, but almost none once you get into the hills. Obviously it's possible to tour on anything, but you'd be better sticking with your present bike + trailer in that case.

touringrhys

Postby touringrhys » 17 Feb 2011, 8:12pm

Thanks for the feedback some good advice in there, the thorn brochures and chain stay length. I also like the look of the Revolution Courier 27, that might be a good option a good working bike now and then i add racks etc to it and maybe change parts over to as and when i can afford