Great Glen Way with a baby in a cycle trailer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
edwardandcorinne

Great Glen Way with a baby in a cycle trailer

Postby edwardandcorinne » 24 Feb 2011, 9:26pm

This time 2 years ago we were on the forum asking about cycling the GGW with a baby trailer. We had a fantastic time and we made a short film record of it to hopefully help anyone else cycling it with or without a trailer.

We went up the northern side of each Loch all the way and back down the southern side. Fantastically welcoming B&Bs and hostels and a great time. Some was a little challenging with the trailer but entirely doable.

Here's a link to the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iD3ONozbVo

Edd and Corinne

eileithyia

Re: Great Glen Way with a baby in a cycle trailer

Postby eileithyia » 25 Feb 2011, 7:37am

Looks like you had a great time but......
why did you make it so hard? I ask cos am just loading my old slides of Iceland into digital format, Andrew had his first birthday on the flight home and was most definetly in bike seat for the trip.
They love the bike seat cos they are so much higher and can see so much more.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 25 Feb 2011, 6:46pm

! hour of rain!

That brought back some memories... did you get to lunch at the Eagle barge /pub?

My trailer was smaller than yours though!

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 26 Feb 2011, 9:20am

This looks like a great trip. I hope to try cycle touring with kids for the first time this summer.

eileithyia wrote:Looks like you had a great time but......
why did you make it so hard? I ask cos am just loading my old slides of Iceland into digital format, Andrew had his first birthday on the flight home and was most definetly in bike seat for the trip.
They love the bike seat cos they are so much higher and can see so much more.

I don't think I'd want to tour with a child seat, even if I only had to take my youngest (22 months). A trailer is easier to switch between bikes (if you have more than one adult along).

I can carry rear panniers with a rear child seat, but they are hard to access. I'd rather pull a trailer while carrying luggage because it improves stability, also I can carry more with the combination of trailer and panniers. A trailer protects a child from the elements. When my youngest sleeps, we are both more comfortable if he's in the trailer. In the bike seat, no matter how far back I tilt it, he always seems to slump against my back.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

meic

Postby meic » 26 Feb 2011, 9:50am

Or if you fancy something slightly less arduous, you could go and take part in the New Forest Rally.
Plenty of other families with children in all types of contraptions but the tents etc stay put and you take day tours.
Yma o Hyd

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 26 Feb 2011, 3:01pm

meic wrote:Or if you fancy something slightly less arduous, you could go and take part in the New Forest Rally.
Plenty of other families with children in all types of contraptions but the tents etc stay put and you take day tours.

I'd love to, but I doubt I can get there. I am hoping to get to Mildenhall this year.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 26 Feb 2011, 9:02pm

ah but Vorpal we had the bike seat set up so that it could switch between both bikes, though when we were carrying the camp kit t'other half had all the main load and I had Andrew.

We also had a seat that could be fitted around the panniers, I do not recall any problems accessing them either.
With a 'pushchair' cover adapted to fit around him, he was as cosy as in the trailer and believe me, i know just how much of a dead weight that trailer was. The canal bridges around here could be very challenging with it let alone some of the extreme tracks we did in Iceland, and the fords!

What a shame you might not be able to make the New Forest it is such a great week.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

edwardandcorinne

Postby edwardandcorinne » 2 Mar 2011, 8:27pm

Interestingly when we were planning the trip, someone suggested using a seat but we're really glad that we didn't. We just find that the trailer suits us much better than a bike seat does. The trailer we have is incredibly light and easy to tow. The suspension's adjustable and it's a really comfy ride. It's also midge proof, rain proof, protects from sun and carries luggage nicely. Callum was well supported with soft stuff when he slept and could play with toys that he could retrieve himself when he was awake. We'd recommend it anyday although we do see the benefits of a seat too.

The added bonus was it converts into a buggy when you get to the destination, again making life easier.

The New Forest weekend sounds good. Is there a website?

I like the pic of the small trailer. Looks very useful. We didn't eat in the Barge place but did pass it. I don't think it was open when we passed.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 2 Mar 2011, 9:53pm

My trailer converts to a buggy. It's great for going to the zoo and things like that. My littlest wants to walk everywhere at the moment, but he needs a ride whn he gets tired. I don't think I could cope with carrying him & all of our stuff.

New Forest is a week! It's listed with CTC rallies and special events: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.as ... 76#listing

tinribs

Postby tinribs » 4 Mar 2011, 6:08pm

Hi there, like the video, looks like you had great weather for the trip. I've got a 3 month old nipper and am looking to take him on a tour at some point this year, possibly September. I'm currently look at trailers and noticed in the video the one you have can be used as a pushchair too. Out of interest what make/model is it?

Cheers.

scorpar

Postby scorpar » 13 Jul 2012, 9:39pm

Wow Edd and Corinne, what an inspiration and a fantastic video!

My husband and I are considering doing it just one way but walking with an off road buggy rather than on a bike. We'd be really interested in any tips you have on places to stay/avoid on the Great Glen Way route. Also, did you just manage to travel light or did you use a baggage transfer company?

How lucky you were with the weather too, any tips on how to arrange that also much appreciated!

Thanks for your help.

Steph

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 19 Jul 2012, 5:52am

Checking the profile, 'edwardandcorrinne' hasn't been back since March 2011, so unless s/he/they lurk, you are unlikely to get a response.