Useful Info & posting guidelines

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Graham

Useful Info & posting guidelines

Post by Graham »

Try a SEARCH before you post
Before posting a query, please take a few minutes to use the SEARCH* to see if the issue has been discussed before. You may find that the information you need is already there. If your query is only partly answered, the results of your search may still help you to be more specific with your question. Failing to do this may provoke cries of desperation.

* The Search facility on this Forum is good and easy to use. ( Top left-hand side, in the Forum box ). It is possible to select the results by "post" or by "topic" according to the requirement.

The General Posting guidelines are http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3661

Useful Info

http://www.independenthostelguide.co.uk/

http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/

http://www.hostels-ireland.com/
Last edited by Graham on 22 Jul 2008, 9:55am, edited 3 times in total.
cricklewood_graeme

Re: Useful Info & posting guidelines

Post by cricklewood_graeme »

Looks like I am the first person to reply to your posting guidelines. I beg to differ that the search facility is a good one. I am trying to find information on the R1 (Radweg 1) cycle route from Den Haag going East through Utrecht then into Germany through Munster and so on. Your search engine ignores such small words as R1 yet the whole of Europe is divided up into bike routes with 1 alpha and 1 numeral. How are we supposed to search for them??
If I google R1 cycle route I come up with some answers, but If I do the same on the CTC search engine the R1 is ignored and only posts with the words Cycle and Route are returned. Not a lot of use I am afraid.
Si

Post by Si »

I would imagine that the search facility works fine. But if what you are searching for isn't there to be found then it ain't going to return any results. You will notice that now that you have made a post with "R1" in it that a search returns it.
cricklewood_graeme

Post by cricklewood_graeme »

You are right. By encasing the R1 in quotes it works! No results ! At least that is a result.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

When someone clicks on New Post, why don't you have a dialogue box come up asking if they have tried to search first????

At least that would put the thought in their mind.
BenStevens

Post by BenStevens »

cricklewood_graeme wrote:If I google R1 cycle route

You can use google search specifically on this forum, try writing (in the google search box in your browser or on google's home page):
site:forum.ctc.org.uk R1 cycle route
and google will search this forum for you. Doesn't work so well on forums that you have to be logged into but it works well on this forum which is open access.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Could we have the image posting system explained here for noddies like me. I'm sure it's explained all over the place but it seems to fit into the useful information category.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MrsHJ wrote:Could we have the image posting system explained here for noddies like me. I'm sure it's explained all over the place but it seems to fit into the useful information category.

The 'help' section has a sticky (a thread that always stays near the top) about posting images viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36594

And there is a file size limitation, so there are also a couple of threads about how to shrink them...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68984 links to another.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom