Panniers For LEJOG

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simontheref

Panniers For LEJOG

Post by simontheref »

Hi,

Me and a friend are doing LEJOG, starting at the end of May. I recently purchased a Claud Butler Voyager to hopefully get me from one end to the other.

At the moment though I have no idea what pannier bags to get. They will need to be quite large as I will only have them and possibly a small rucksack with me.

Can anyone advise me which pannier bags they think would be most suitable.

Many thanks

Simon
Richard

Post by Richard »

Simon - can I suggest you take a look at the threads re trailers?

[url]http://forum.ctc.org.uk/search.php?mode=results&keywords=trailer+and+carryfreedom&search_terms=any
&search_author=&search_forum=-1&search_time=0&search_fields=all&search_cat=-1&sort_by=0&sort_dir=DESC
&show_results=topics&chars=200[/url]

Also, take a look at http://www.carryfreedom.com/info.html which gives a good overview of the various trailer/pannier pros and cons.

I'm not suggesting a trailer is the right solution, just thought it might be worth taking a look at as a possibility.

Richard.
vernon

Re: Panniers For LEJOG

Post by vernon »

simontheref wrote:Hi,

Me and a friend are doing LEJOG, starting at the end of May. I recently purchased a Claud Butler Voyager to hopefully get me from one end to the other.

At the moment though I have no idea what pannier bags to get. They will need to be quite large as I will only have them and possibly a small rucksack with me.

Can anyone advise me which pannier bags they think would be most suitable.

Many thanks

Simon

Are you camping? That will affect the size that's best for you. The 'best size' is also quite subjective. Some folk manage to do LEJOG with a saddle bag and still have room to spare others like myself wonder what I'm going to leave out of my four panniers :lol:
Tallis the Tortoise

Post by Tallis the Tortoise »

I'd definitely recommend avoiding a rucksack at all costs. There is no point getting aching shoulders and a sweaty back when the bike can carry the weight instead. If camping then decent sized rear panniers and a barbag should be enough. If hostelling/b&bs then a set of front panniers on the rear rack and a barbag is fine.

I like carradice ones best as they are pretty weatherproof and VERY hardwearing. The back ones are huge though the front ones are a bit dinky.

Andy :-)
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

Hi simontheref. I too am doing LEJOG at the end of May and I've bought a couple of ORTLIEB Classic rear panniers for my trip. I did some research and found good reviews from others on this and other forums.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

You can actually tour very light, if camping and carrying everything yourself I would advise distributing the load front and back, a bar bag is very useful for valuables, map case and energy bars etc.

You will be surprised just how you can reduce the packing size, a trial run packing before you go is always a good idea. Modern versatile travel clothing also helps as will dry overnight, aTravel Towel is very compact. Obvious things like clothing that packs up small and will dry overnight are also available, take enough tooth paste and soap for tour only etc, it is the little obvious things that really make a difference. I actually use small panniers front and rear, even for camping.

For an unsupported B & B/ Hostel tour then you could esily get away with front panniers on the rear, bearing in mind that front panniers can simply be used as small rears

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
horizon

Post by horizon »

simon: there are two types of panniers, those that clip on separately to the rack on either side and those that flop over and tie on with straps underneath. Don't buy the latter - they are awful. All the regular panniers are otherwise fine but don't forget that they are not waterproof - keep your stuff in plastic bags unless you have waterproof covers.

Panniers are a wonderful piece of kit but they are pricey and a full set of four with racks will probably cost you more than the bike iself. But if you are thinking beyond LEJoG, they are a great investment (birthday present?). Ortlieb panniers by the way are waterproof but do cost. You could think about borrowing a set of panniers but better still get some on ebay - expect to pay £40 - £50 for Karrimors.

Do take Paul's advice and do a trial run and, it goes without saying, ditch the rucksack! I would go for panniers initially even if later you might prefer a trailer. If you are camping you should fit everything in four panniers with the the tent on the rear rack and with some room to spare for food etc.

WARNING: Panniers are seriously addictive - they open the door literally to the world so think carefully before taking the plunge.....you might never look back.
Paul Smith SRCC

Seconded, when posiible always make the bike do the hard work, like carrying your luggage.

A rucksack will will also be quite warm on your back as well, I know some swear by the small rucksacks that are designed primarliy to carry a hydration system (like Camelbak)Image although personally on a tour like that you should be able to carry enough in two water bottles to last long enough between refreshment stops

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

horizon wrote:simon: ditch the rucksack! .[/b][/color]
Member of the Pedal Club
vernon

Post by vernon »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:Seconded, when posiible always make the bike do the hard work, like carrying your luggage.

A rucksack will will also be quite warm on your back as well, I know some swear by the small rucksacks that are designed primarliy to carry a hydration system (like Camelbak)Image although personally on a tour like that you should be able to carry enough in two water bottles to last long enough between refreshment stops

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

The Camelback Mule is a wonderful creation. I used one on all of my cycle camping trips. Although some folk copw withnone or two bottles in cages on their bikes, I found the Camelback Mules to be a godsend in warmer weather when my fluid intake could be as high as a litre per hour.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:You will be surprised just how you can reduce the packing size,

I'll second that. If you try to take the kitchen sink, you will be thinking of ditching half the surplus on your first bad day. In the days before disposable razors, I even found that the flexible connector on a bike pump would replace the handle on a Gillette razor. Prune ruthlessly then leave out most of what's left. Just take one of anything that can sensibly be shared between you. You are not going to Ulan Bator.
Paul Smith SRCC

I have to say I seldom chat to any one on a cycle tour using one who dislikes them, although interesting to note that they are normally riders who drink far more than I do, they generally have a Camelbak as well as two bottles.

Being a person who suffers with a bad back I believe some of my reluctance is that I fear carrying something like this would aggravate it, not so much because of the weight but because of a sweaty back, even though they are designed to hold the bulk of the bag away from the rider, it is simply from a personal point of view given the choice I would rather not carry anything at all on my back.

I am not saying they are not a good product, far from it, purely a personal choice and nothing else.

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

vernon wrote:
Paul Smith SRCC wrote:Seconded, when posiible always make the bike do the hard work, like carrying your luggage.

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

The Camelback Mule is a wonderful creation. I used one on all of my cycle camping trips. Although some folk copw withnone or two bottles in cages on their bikes, I found the Camelback Mules to be a godsend in warmer weather when my fluid intake could be as high as a litre per hour.
Member of the Pedal Club
Paul Smith SRCC

thirdcrank wrote:
"I even found that the flexible connector on a bike pump would replace the handle on a Gillette razor.

Brilliant; I love trivia like that :lol: :lol: ; worthy of a 'cross toast' at the club dinner and dance as well in my opinion; at least back in the days when my club was big enough to have a club dinner and dance that is :cry:

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

thirdcrank wrote:
Paul Smith SRCC wrote:You will be surprised just how you can reduce the packing size,

I'll second that. If you try to take the kitchen sink, you will be thinking of ditching half the surplus on your first bad day. In the days before disposable razors, I even found that the flexible connector on a bike pump would replace the handle on a Gillette razor. Prune ruthlessly then leave out most of what's left. Just take one of anything that can sensibly be shared between you. You are not going to Ulan Bator.
Member of the Pedal Club