What to take on tour = Cut That Kit!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
boblo

Re: Cut That Kit!

Post by boblo »

Added a bit in line. I go on the 'less is more' mantra. We start with a list, make a pile each then we go through each others pile. After eac tour, we review/revise the list with what was used, what was not and what can be trimmed. I'm a bit anal about weight and am prepared to sink money into getting very light kit. Not everyone is. HOWEVER.... I assume you don't want a sufferfest, you're actually on holiday? You need to find a compromise between carrying stuff that you currently consider 'essential' and carrying just too much. This varies from person to person and the length of your tour. A weekend of suffering is easily doable, a year in far flung places, less so.

REVISED 2011
Camping 5625g
* Tent, Tent poles 975g repair 50g pegs 400g
Your pegs must be made of antimatter! Even a full set of Quasar pegs are only 280g.
* Trangia 900g+meths burner and fuel there are no pros or cons about meths or gas as we can’t buy either
This is heavy and bulky (cue Trangia vs the world discussion). A Pocket Rocket is 86g and a 1.5l pan/lid 250g. If you can't get gas, even an MSR Whisperlight only weighs ~400g. If you can't get meths, why are you taking a meths stove? Take a Dragonfly or Whisperlight. You can always get petrol if you are using roads/near habitation
* Swiss army knive 300g
Which knife is this? The 'standard' one with 2 blades, corkscrew, tin opener and various other devices for getting Boy Scouts out of horses hooves is ~100g
* Sporks x2 not much
* mugs x2 100g
* Sleeping bags x2 m825g j1200g
Is this a summer tour? If so 800g is a bit fat and 1200g OTT. Spend some money on a 400g down bag each and save weight and bulk. Do keep them dry though.
* Roll mats x2 j275g m150g
* *Head torches x2 150g
You should be able to get these down to ~70g easily (e.g. Petzl Tikka), I'd be discinclined though if you're already carrying bike lights

Clothes

* Cycle Shorts x2
Is this 2 each? If so good, one pair on one pair drying. If 1 pair each, you're relying on kit drying over night which it doesn't always and damp shorts first thing...uuugh.
* Normal Shorts x2
1 pair each? Flimsy running shorts weigh very little.
* t-shirt x2
1 each?
* Cycling top (base layer or jersey) x2
Is this 2 each? If so good, one on, one drying. Praps, 1 long sleeve, 1 short sleeve?
* Fleece x2
If summer spring, early autumn, make mid weight e.g. North Face TKA 100g. Lot less bulky and ~300g
* Waterproof x2
Each? Per Couple? I usually carry jacket and very lightweigh trousers
* Flip flops/crocks x2
Flip flops are more compact.
* Shoes x2
* *Socks
* *Underwear
* Sunglasses x2
* Helmets x2
* Gloves x2

No longs? You might be in an area with beasties, you'll regret not taking l/w longs the first time they feast on you :-)

Food water etc

* Food-mostly bought along the way
* Water bottles x4
* steritabs

Bike kit

* Tool kit essentials pliers, 525g spanner 275g multi 150g cables 25g tubes x2 450g chain tool and spare links, spare spokes, lube,
What spanner weights 500g? More antimatter :-) If it's a big adjustable, there will be garages en route, ponce theirs :-) The chain tool looks heavy too, get a lighter one. I'd ditch the pliers. I've never had a job on the road where I've needed them and they are useless for cutting things as they flatten cable outer and leave cable inner mangled.
* Pump x2
* Lights x4
* Locks x2

Electronics 1200g

* iPod
* Phone x2
* Battery power supply we need a smaller, lighter, power supply
* Camera
* Speakers - 120g if I remember correctly
If you can share a phone, you'll save another ~100g plus any chargers if you're not already sharing those.

Washing etc 750g

* Toothbrush x2
* Toothpaste
* *Wet wipes
* *Toilet paper (ziplock)
* *Sun cream
* Shower Gel in (ziplock)
* Blister kit
* Razor
* First aid+pain killers etc
* Vaseline
* Travel towel
* Dishcloth/sponge

I usually carry Sudocreme, Ibuprofen and Jungle Formula as well. Don't forget ear plugs if you're using sites and an eyeshade if you want early nights or are camping in Scandahooliganland in summer

General

* Maps and case each map is about 150g
A5 colour photocopies laminated back to back. Discard once ridden.
* Small drawstring bag x2 one each used for pillow when stuffed with spare clothes
* Money
* Notepad
* Pens

Be brutal with what you carry, you'll enjoy it much. much more :-)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Can anyone just remind me what total weight per bike (excluding the bike and water bottles) we are aiming for? ("As little as possible" will not be accepted as a proper answer 8) )
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
boblo

Post by boblo »

There is no target weight hence 'Cut That Kit!' Reading between the lines, I think the OP wants to carry as little as possibe :mrgreen:
horizon

Post by horizon »

boblo wrote:There is no target weight hence 'Cut That Kit!' Reading between the lines, I think the OP wants to carry as little as possibe :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, that still may be too much.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'll start listing stuff the OP forgot.... :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

... electric drill, clothes iron, ...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

insect repellent
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bealer

Post by bealer »

I'm very similar, and will spend money (to an extent) to reduce weight. It's just something enjoy doing. I've bought a new bike, so going through a re-organise of everything. I had ideally wanted to keep the total weight to under 22kg. But given my bike is already 12kg (and I need to add a few more bits), and my dependency on electronics, I'm now aiming for around 28kg.

I've managed to keep my camping gear to 2.5kg.
Tent - Tarptent Moment (800g)
Sleeping Bag - Cumulus Quantum 200 (500g) -> rated to 0C but summer use really, the 350 is around 730g I think
Mat - Thermarest Prolite Regular (460g) -> opted for comfort here!
Tarp - Terra Nova small tarp (180g) -> general use, and covering the bike
...and a few other small bits and pieces = 2.5kg. No cooking equipment though apart from an Alpkit Ti Mug (110g).

Where you're a lot lighter than me is electronics!
I'm at 4kg's (!) due to taking a Netbook, and dSLR. Take those out and it drops to nearer 1kg. The dSLR would go first (in place of a compact) as I use my netbook quite a lot in hostels etc...

The panniers are a bit of a kick in the teeth too. I've got Ortlieb Back Roller Plus's with an Ultimate 5 Medium bar bag. They alone weigh around 2.4kg.
Last edited by bealer on 21 Jun 2011, 2:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
crazyferret

Post by crazyferret »

Hello everyone

Thanks for the comments, here is the new improved list.

Camping
Tent
Tent poles
plastic pegs
Trangia
Swiss army knife
bowls
sporks
mugs x2
Sleeping bags x2
Roll mats x2
Head torches x2

Clothes
Cycle Shorts x2
Cycling top (base layer or jersey) x2
Fleece x2
Waterproof x2
Flip flops/crocks x2
Shoes x2
Socks
Underwear
Sunglasses
Helmets x2
Gloves x2

Food water etc
Food-mostly bought along the way
Water bottles x4
steritabs

Bike kit
pliers
spanner
multi tool
cables
tubes x2
spare spokes and nipples
tool for removing block
lube
puncture repair kit including tyre levers, glue and patches
Pump x2
Lights x4
Pair of locks

Electronics
iPod
Phone x2
chargers
Battery power supply
Camera and mount
Speakers

Washing etc
Toothbrush x2
Toothpaste
Toilet paper (ziplock)
Sun cream
Shower Gel (ziplock)
Razor
insect repelent
First aid+pain killers etc
travel towel
Dishcloth/sponge

General
Maps and case
Small drawstring bag x2 one each used for pillow when stuffed with spare clothes
Money
Notepad
Pens/pencils

As before we would greatly appreciate any comments and ammendmets, it is out first lejog and we want it to go smoothly.

Thanks
Crazyferret and Cachao
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

Don't think you need 2 pumps really.
meic

Post by meic »

There seems to be some confusion (in my mind at least) about where it is for the pair and were it is individual.
It appears as if you are either taking no more clothes than what you are wearing or that you are taking and not wearing a helmet?

Is your mini-tool one that has tyre-levers built in to the handle?
On touring bikes I dont need to carry any tyre levers.

If you are not used to the tools that you have it would be best to practice with them before you leave. Remove and replace each of the wheels and tyres from the bikes and make sure you dont overtighten. Same for the cassette blocks or the tool may just be useless when you need it.
You are carrying spokes and nipples but no mention of a spoke spanner, I tried to use the one built into my multi-tool to straighten a buckle and it just span on the spoke!

I do carry some chain lube and we have individual washkits/toothpaste to avoid having to arrange washing times to suit the other person.
The sleeping bag's bag doubles as a pillow sack for me.
Yma o Hyd
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

crazyferret wrote:Hello everyone

Thanks for the comments, here is the new improved list.

Thomas Stevens managed with somewhat less on the first around the world cycle ride in 1884. according to Wikipedia:
wikipedia wrote:He packed his handlebar bag with socks, a spare shirt, a raincoat that doubled as tent and bedroll, and a .38-calibre Smith & Wesson and left San Francisco at 8 o'clock on 22 April 1884.
E25
crazyferret

Post by crazyferret »

here is the most up to date list
all of the items are between the two of us so items maked x2 are 1 each

Camping
Tent
Tent poles
plastic pegs
Trangia
Swiss army knife
bowls
sporks x2
mugs x2
Sleeping bags x2
Roll mats x2
Head torches x2

Clothes
Cycle Shorts x2
Cycling top (base layer or jersey) x2
Fleece x2
Waterproof x2
*Flip flops/crocks x2
Shoes x2
light shorts x2
light tee-shirt x2
Socks
Underwear
Sunglasses
Helmets x2
Gloves x2

Food water etc
Food-mostly bought along the way
Water bottles x4
steritabs

Bike kit
pliers
spanner
multi tool
cables
tubes x2
spare spokes and nipples
spoke spanner
tool for removing block
lube
puncture repair kit including tyre levers, glue and patches
Pump x2
Lights x4
Pair of locks

Electronics
iPod
Phone x2
charger
Battery power supply
Camera and mount
Speakers

Washing etc
Toothbrush x2
Toothpaste
Toilet paper (ziplock)
Sun cream
Shower Gel (ziplock)
Razor
insect repelent
First aid+pain killers etc
travel towel
Dishcloth/sponge

General
Maps and case
Money
Notepad
Pens/pencils
meic

Post by meic »

Fuel bottle and lighter for the Trangia.
I like to have a J-cloth or sponge as part of my tent kit for wiping up spills, leaks and water that always ends up dropping off something or somebody in the tent.

Do you want to carry those little extras to enhance your food and drink, like salt, oil, spices, tea bags, dried milk which want either little containers or bags.
Yma o Hyd
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

crazyferret wrote:here is the most up to date list ...

Have you been out with that kit yet? A two-day trip, camping overnight, will shake down the kit.