Perpignan to Nice in May

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
deanf987

Perpignan to Nice in May

Postby deanf987 » 20 Mar 2011, 10:12am

Hi All,

I am planning on cycling from Perpignan to Nice in May. I have booked flights from london stanstead to Perpignan on Sun 15th May and return from Nice to stanstead on Sat 21 May. I plan on covering 60/70 miles a day but this is flexible depending on what I discover and where i go exactly. I just want to explore and take in the scenary/culture. I have cycled ireland coast to coast and lots of england/wales - but not competitively just for leisure. Intention is to camp/b&b's, I will have some planning done but would like to keep it relaxed and flexible.

So does anybody have any recommendations or parts to visit/avoid? Or is anybody interested in joining me on this trip or parts of it? I'm male 28 average fitness.

thanks
Dean

Millhouse

Re: Perpignan to Nice in May

Postby Millhouse » 22 Mar 2011, 10:07am

I rode along the Pyrennes and then around to Nice as part of my 4 week tour of France a couple of years ago. It was May when I went. I didn't make any plans but just planned from day to day. I camped and usually found a campsite, the few times I couldn't find a campsite it was easy to use a b&b.
As for where to go, personal choice really, I just enjoyed the cycling, for me the journey is the holiday not particularly the destination. There are loads of interesting villages along the way, plenty of shops to stock up provisions.
Arles is an interesting roman town, very busy traffic wise, but there is a camsite on the Nice side of town and an easy ride back into town to explore. I cycled across the Camargue, I expected it to be more interesting than it was, I found it to be featureless and rather sameish.
I stayed on a camsite in Eze in the hills overlooking Nice and Cap Ferat, heck of a climb up to it but great views, rather expensive compared to other sites I stayed at.
My advice is relax and enjoy yourself, use only minor roads and soak up the atmosphere.
The cycling was great as most French drivers are very respectful of cyclists.

earlgrey

Re: Perpignan to Nice in May

Postby earlgrey » 22 Mar 2011, 5:24pm

My wife and I did a similar journey last year in 2010. If you are fit I would head inland away from the coast. The south coast from Beziers, Agde, Sete, Aigues Mortes, Carmargue, Marseille is one big Butlins holiday resort, and I mean BIG with loads of traffic campervans and huge campsites with complete with 'funfairs'. We found the Carmargue a disapointment, again it was very busy. I have cycled inland from Carcassonne through the Haute Languedoc, the Gorge de l'Herault, north of Nimes crossing the Rhone north of Avignon, then Mt Ventoux, south to Monasque then up the Gorge Verdon and finally dropping down onto Nice airport. A fantastic ride off the beaten track but with loads of 'Camping A La Ferme' (You can get this guide of all their campsites from www.gites-de-france.com or Amazon ISBN 978-2-35320-047-4). The route is pretty tough but the gradients are gradual. We did this with a fully loaded 4 pannier touring bike and averaged 55 miles /day, leaving plenty of time to enjoy the wonderful countryside.