Riding from Ft. William toward Aberdeen

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Riding from Ft. William toward Aberdeen

Postby raybo » 31 Mar 2011, 9:38pm

I am planning a tour and will likely find myself in Fort William near May 1.

I'd like to continue toward Aberdeen and am wondering about riding on the A86 to Kingussie. Is it safe?

Has anyone ridden on the A939 that runs southeast from Grantown on Spey? Is it safe?

Are there other routes you can recommend?

I found this thread that suggests that the A86 isn't so bad: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6994 but was hoping to get more current information.

Thanks,

Ray
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

mercurykev

Re: Riding from Ft. William toward Aberdeen

Postby mercurykev » 31 Mar 2011, 10:04pm

I've not ridden the A86 to Kingussie but it probably isn't too bad. The A939 though is an excellent road, especially the stretch after Tomintoul - some of the best cycling in the country imho. After the Lecht you can stay on that road and head over to Deeside for the run into Aberdeen or you can head down Strathdon on A944. Deeside is really nice but to me Strathdon is perfect for cycling.

This is the route I'd ride:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ft-William-to-Aberdeen

irc

Postby irc » 31 Mar 2011, 10:54pm

I did Ft Wm - Aberdeen as a 3 dayer staying overnight at Inverness and Tomintoul.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Fo ... o-Aberdeen

Using the B Rd w of the Caledonian Canal then the forestry track up the W side of Loch Lochy and the towpath from Loch Oich to Ft Augustus meant I was only on the A82 for 5 miles or so. The first 3 miles or so out of Ft Augustus is a huge hill but thereafter the rest of the way to Inverness is almost all flat or downhill.

Going in towards Aberdeen I followed the A944 for ease of routefinding. I was prepared to take to the B Rds if traffic got heavy but it never did. Getting in to the city there is a cycle track alongside the road if required.

The contrast between the overnights in Inverness and Tomintoul was interesting. The first the most urban place in the highlands. Then Tomintoul where there is so little traffic at night that young children were playing in the middle of the main street.

tomintoul.jpg
Tomintoul Main St. My B and B, Argyle House is the red building. Recommended.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 1 Apr 2011, 9:20am

+1 for Argyle House in Tomintoul. Top place to stay. There are some serious hills in the Grantown to Cockbridge road A939. Bridge of brown and the Lecht being the main ball breakers but as previously said, a great ride route.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

island girl

Postby island girl » 1 Apr 2011, 11:48pm

Hi, I did Fort William to Aberdeen last year. FW up to Spean Bridge alongside the canal. Road to Newtonmore, then down cycle path on A9 to Pitlochry, back road via Kirkmichael(I think) to Glen Shee, North to Braemar then followed road into Aberdeen. Great route. For exact road numbers contact me if interested.