My JOG-LE Journal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
2Tubs

My JOG-LE Journal

Post by 2Tubs »

Hey all!

I have documented the E2E challenge that Sheila's Wheelers undertook last July. I will add all this to our website but in the mean time you can have a look at what I've put together here: -
Sheila's Wheelers Journal

Be warned, it's a biggie (10.2 MB).

Gazza
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A thoroughly cracking read, Gazza! A well put together PDF too, I wish I had your IT expertise. And thanks for giving me a mention!

Your 'Time in Saddle" of 70hrs 19mins was comparable to mine. I did 68hrs 58mins LEJOG, and 73hrs 17mins JOGLE.

Yes, the heat was awful! And the beer was good!

Midges. We lived in the East of Scotland for 7 years just after we were married. Later, we were a couple of years in the West of Scotland. That's when we first discovered the blighters. Mrs Mick F went into a chemist, explained the problem, and they just laughed! No knowledge of them at all in the East! When I cycled through Scotland, I took A9/Edinburgh - East Route - no midges!

You made heavy weather of it going up St Stephen's Hill! I've done it, and it's not for the faint hearted! If you'd have gone straight through Launceston, via South Petherwin, and over the A30 at Kennard's House then out to Camelford, You'd have missed the rotten hills! (Local Knowledge!!!!) Also, you didn't need to go on the A30 dual carriageway near Okehampton. The old road still exists.

I had a damp eye or two at the end. Well written. It took me back ........

("It wasn't that far") !!!!!!!!!!!!! Again?

Regards,
Mick F. Cornwall
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Glad you enjoyed the read Mick!

Local knowledge is indeed a worth it's weight in gold. That's why we run our route past locals. The problem is the people we asked weren't cyclists and didn't think some of the hills were too bad - at least by car!

In spite of the moaning the hills all made part of the challenge and I looking back I wouldn't have changed the route.

We did use the old A30 going through Lewdon and Lifton, we ony used the dual carraigeway for a mile or so from Betty Cottles Inn to our Travelodge.

I shall add your blog to the list of links, I meant to do that before now.

I'm missing the days of constant riding. We plan to do C2C in May to give us a fix this year and then take on another big challenge next year.

You got any plans?

Gazza

Mick F wrote:A thoroughly cracking read, Gazza! A well put together PDF too, I wish I had your IT expertise. And thanks for giving me a mention!

Your 'Time in Saddle" of 70hrs 19mins was comparable to mine. I did 68hrs 58mins LEJOG, and 73hrs 17mins JOGLE.

Yes, the heat was awful! And the beer was good!

Midges. We lived in the East of Scotland for 7 years just after we were married. Later, we were a couple of years in the West of Scotland. That's when we first discovered the blighters. Mrs Mick F went into a chemist, explained the problem, and they just laughed! No knowledge of them at all in the East! When I cycled through Scotland, I took A9/Edinburgh - East Route - no midges!

You made heavy weather of it going up St Stephen's Hill! I've done it, and it's not for the faint hearted! If you'd have gone straight through Launceston, via South Petherwin, and over the A30 at Kennard's House then out to Camelford, You'd have missed the rotten hills! (Local Knowledge!!!!) Also, you didn't need to go on the A30 dual carriageway near Okehampton. The old road still exists.

I had a damp eye or two at the end. Well written. It took me back ........

("It wasn't that far") !!!!!!!!!!!!! Again?

Regards,
Mick F. Cornwall
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

The website is up to date now.

Sheila's Wheelers

There are a few more pictures on the site.

So now you don't have to download the pdf unless you really want to.

Gazza
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Just finished reading the story. Very interesting and inspiring, you should be very proud of yourselves.

Could probably do with someone around to tell us to "get cracking" when my cousin and I set off this May, but as that will be down to me we may be cycling well into the evening a few times. Now I'm going to get started on Rob and Joe's trip.................