LEJOG with a youngster

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mike Rodgers

LEJOG with a youngster

Post by Mike Rodgers »

I'm going to be doing LEJOG with my 11 year old son this July, taking 3 weeks and using Hostels/B+Bs to minimise weight and maximise available riding hours. Has anyone any ideas/suggestions/dire warnings to offer regarding doing this distance with a child? He can do the daily mileage, but hasn't previously done so for day after day. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I did!
All contributions gratefully received - I want this to be a positive experience for both of us!
horizon

Post by horizon »

My 9 year old did the IOW end to end in one day on a 24" as part of a tour. It was the long hills up that were difficult - not so much physically as mentally. We got a tandem after that and never looked back, so that would be my recommendation. I know that may not really help you (especially as an 11 year old might just want to go it alone...!)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

CJ did this several years go with his wife and family. It was the subject of what I thought was a fascinating account by him which was published in the CTC mag afterwards. Although it covered some minor irritations, like the cycle space on the train being commandeered by railway staff for some sort of guvvy-job high class grocery delivery, the overall message was of a good experience.
Mike Rodgers

Post by Mike Rodgers »

Thanks Folks

Horizon - you're quite right, he'd try it without me given the chance!

TC - Thanks for that. Is there any way of searching for old mag articles? The magazine itself is probably in the loft, but the thought of searching through them all...
lisap

Post by lisap »

In 2003 I rode the Great Divide (3000 miles) with a 13 year old. He towed all his own kit, took full turns in clean up, cooking and shopping duties even when the group got so small we were down to single rota rather being paired up. Not to mention map reading his way across America quite often on his own (we all cycled at different speeds).

It is quite amazing what kids can do with the right encouragment and guidance. Nick is now a very confident young man who is not afraid to take on any challenge. Your son will be fine with you by his side, just make sure he showers regularly. It was the only thing we failed to get him to do!!!
Wendy C.

Post by Wendy C. »

Go to http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm - when were you planning on doing it, as this will take you a month of Sundays to wade through but trust me, it is not only very informative about routes, B&Bs to try or avoid etc. etc. but extremely entertaining too ......

People all shapes, sizes, ages, on all different types of bikes and sure, the occasional groan, normally about the weather or the proverbial sore bum those first few days but after that., well, it is so good I know someone who is about to do it again and he certainly won't be the first either!

Wendy
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Pretty sure the youngest LEJOG rider was 7 years old. Not convinced that I would want to be sending a 7 year old out to do it but 11 seems fine. Depends on the child's attitude really. Might get irritating after the 1000th time you hear "are we nearly there yet?" though.
Mike Rodgers

Post by Mike Rodgers »

Thanks Wendy - that should keep me quiet! Good luck with your own ride.

Showers - I've told him that if he doesn't shower or bath each night on the ride, he'll get big boils on his bum. And the bogey man will get him.

Being somewhat mutt'n'jeff, I find bike to bike communication difficult, so we're going to use hands-free walkie-talkies. Then I can switch it off! BTW, has anyone used walkie-talkies (should that be ridie-talkies?) on a ride? Did it work?
Hummers

Post by Hummers »

We did a mix of the YHA/CTC scenic route with no real luggage and little support.

We being myself, two chums and my 16 year old son.

Here's the route.

http://www.pewseys.eclipse.co.uk/

Good luck.

H
Your Brewery Needs YOU!
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

The trick I've found in riding long place-to-place distances with children is to plan for flexibility in the route and distance planning. If a youngster doesn't feel like riding then do not force them. It also helps to incorporate some alternative activities by visiting the occasional local attraction while on the route.

As a family we have toured extensively with our children and found that putting any pressure on them is detrimental in the long run.
It does mean that tours need to be infinitely adjustable, although you can still have an overall aim.

We found camping tours to be by far the best trips as they enable us stop when tired, or to change plans in bad weather and also avoids the necessity for difficult rescheduling if accommodation has been pre-booked. As a result YHs and B&Bs are only used for centre-based touring, or for last minute accommodation.

Being flexible and able to adjust plans is critical to maintaining enthusiassm with younger children.

This was my own E2E with my 14-year old daughter - virtually unplanned from start to finish, picking the route daily and simply aiming north:
http://jpbdesign.net/EndtoEnd.html

-
Hummers

Post by Hummers »

keepontriking wrote:This was my own E2E with my 14-year old daughter - virtually unplanned from start to finish, picking the route daily and simply aiming north:
http://jpbdesign.net/EndtoEnd.html

Truly inspirational stuff.

As you say. Neither of you will forget it.

H
Your Brewery Needs YOU!