Grand Union Canal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
davevincent

Grand Union Canal

Post by davevincent »

Hello.

I was just wondering whether anyone had attempted to cycle the Grand Union Canal from Birmingham to London? It's about 145 miles along the cycle towpath. What do you think would be the quickest but most practical time to allow for it? I noticed another forum thread about the GUC, but it didn't really answer this question.

Cheers!
rexlerego

Canal Rides

Post by rexlerego »

Yes did it a few years back. It was part of a week long challenge with my then teenage son, he on his new mountain bike me on my trusty Barry Hoban Lightweight with skinny tyres. We actually did a trip from Herefordshire to London and back avoiding the roads. managed the round trip of just over 350 miles with just 40 miles on tarmac! Contacted British Waterways prior to the trip, they were very helpful, even supplied us with an overnight accommodations list. We very issued with cycle towpath permits, gave us a clear run except for a short stretch in the Regents Park Moorings. We left Ross-on-Wye and cyled the river route to the Severn Bridge- Avon Cycleway- Bristol to Bath Railway route-Kennet and Avon Canal to Reading-Thames path to London-across London (not on the pavements) Camden to Birmingham on the Grand Union-Birmingham Worcester Canal then back to Ross-on-Wye (by road)

I think the London to Birmingham bit took us 3/4 days but that included a few look-see sideways excursions to Oxford and to Stratford on Avon.
At that time the 'Gortex Challenge' was current and we collected stamps in our book along the way. There is a book about walking the canal, not sure who wrote it ??
It would be worth checking with British Waterways to see what is permitted nowadays.

Enjoy your trip.
rexlerego

BOOK

Post by rexlerego »

The book by Clives Holmes 'The Grand Union Canal Walk'

British Waterways also produce a canal map.