brittany

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
imybike

brittany

Postby imybike » 30 Mar 2007, 9:45pm

any one been round brittany in april and may. i may be going and would welcome any advice or warnings. or anything. ta

jam05

Brittany

Postby jam05 » 30 Mar 2007, 9:57pm

Go to the Northwest peninsula and enjoy the dunes. Look for Aberwrach and have fun! The cider is very good - look out for drunk drivers who'll swear at you!

dodger

Postby dodger » 31 Mar 2007, 9:17pm

The Brest - Nantes Canal towpath is pleasant to drop in on at times, but it's not a quick riding surface. Josselin, Pontivy, Malestroit are all on the canal and worth visiting. It's also usually more sheltered. A CTC member has a new B&B in Huelgoat - Alan Edwards 07949900907. Haven't visited but rates sound reasonable.
Loads of quiet roads and villages with scenic coastline. Weather is changeable - much like here in Cornwall. i.e. liable to rain.

Roper.No.1

Brittany

Postby Roper.No.1 » 13 Apr 2007, 11:15pm

Went to Brittany in May of 2005. Not clear from your post imybike if you are going to have a part in the planning or if you are going as part of an organised excursion. My friends and I based our trip around a route from 'Loneley Planet Cycling France' with a few modifications on route, this was a round trip from and to St Malo - this has the advantage of being a ferry port so its really easy to get your bike over there and you can start on the expedition as soon as you get off the boat rather than messing about with trains etc. For a map I took a copy of IGN Carte De Promenade 16 (1cm = 1km) I found this to be very useful and of course if you were doing a slightly different part of Brittany you could get a different map in this series.

More general advice - agree with Dodger that you should go prepared for rain although equally likeley you will have good weather. Finally I think you will be a little early for the oysters (or is it the mussels?) so if you get them in a restaurant they will have been imported!

VISCOUNT

Postby VISCOUNT » 14 Apr 2007, 10:54pm

I've been to Brittany several times. I've never been on a specific cycling holiday but I have done a little bit of cycling while there. My experiences have been entirely pleasurable. The most surprising thing for me was finding that drivers give cyclist a lot of respect, time and space. I even remember a large articulated lorry giving way to me when it had no obligation to do so.

I once stayed in a beachfront villa on the Northern coast. At weekends there were groups of cyclists going to and fro all day. It was nice to see.

I think you'll love it. In fact I'm almost talking myself into going again!

Onky Konky

Postby Onky Konky » 15 Apr 2007, 8:09pm

The best holidays I have had, single, have been touring in Brittany. I did find, however, that travelling east is signficantly easier than travelling west, due to prevailing wind. So you might want to factor that into your plans.

imybike

wild camping

Postby imybike » 18 Apr 2007, 6:19pm

thankyou all for the advice. just wondering if anyone has camped wild and how easy they found it.

Reynard

Postby Reynard » 18 Apr 2007, 7:04pm

wild camping is easy but be warned some farmers etc can get very irate if you don't ask permission. Pick quiet beaches or riversides. It is expected by the locals that you use a campsite if you are within 1 km of one.