Panniers or trailer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
seadog101

Panniers or trailer?

Post by seadog101 »

Hi,

I'm kitting out my trusty old MTB for touring. Fortunately I still have the original rigid forks, so those are going back on soon.

My main problem is that the frame doesn't have the mounting lugs for the panniers. A local bike shop have shown me bracket things which will serve this purpose, but I'm not sure about these being robust enough. So I'm toying with the idea of a trailer, either a BOB or Extrawheel.

I'm planning to travel as absolutely light as possible as my trips will probably be now more than 3 or 4 days at a time.

Any thoughts or recommendations gladly received.

Matt
b1ke

Re: Panniers or trailer?

Post by b1ke »

Hi, I've used P-clips for mounting a rear rack before and had no issues.

That said, a trailer should be fine as well. We use the Carry Freedom at work (I'm a courier) and it's lightweight and strong. Of the two you mentioned, the Extrawheel looks very appealing. Enjoy the touring.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Richard

Post by Richard »

There is a view that a two wheeled trailer is better on road and a single wheel better off road. I've got a carry freedom Y frame trailer and it's great, but I've not toured with it. You will still need some sort of bag to put your stuff in. I've got the Ortleib rackpack which is the recommended bag for the trailer but you can pretty much use anything you fancy. A trailer adds additional weight but is supposed to make the bike better balanced which might be an issue if you're not using front panniers too. Panniers are less aggro if you're using public transport too (ie trains) or have to put the bike in a room overnight. The only way to do it is try it out. If you live anywhere near Pembrokeshire you're welcome to come and try mine.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Could you get away with a Carradice Camper Longflap Saddle Bag (24 litre) and bar bag, or a front pannier rack that mounts on the canti bosses?
Si

Post by Si »

for "as light as possible" I'd second a large saddle bag with a SQR quick release or similar.

Trailers do have lots of plus points for general touring but for light weight short tours the use of a trailer might be a bit of overkill when you could easily mount the kit on the bike and save weight and money.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Carradice is selling Old Man Mountain racks, they attach via skewer and brake bolts.
Racks for the rackmountless.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... duct_id=75
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

trailers do have their downside - trains, motor cycle barriers etc. but these are occasional problems. IMO bikes feel nicer to ride when not directly burdened with the weight of luggage - and thats all day! :lol:

I have a Carry Freedom.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Fratercula

Post by Fratercula »

If you want a secondhand Bob Yak drop me a PM. I bought one to fit on my Koga World Traveller, it (the bike) has lugs on the drop out that mean it won't fit. The Bob is in good condition used once for a three week tour by the previous owner. Sad really I was looking forward to towing it.