Shaving en Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ivor Tingting

Re: Shaving en Tour

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Cachao wrote:I am one of those electric shaver-types who has never dared use a manual razor, but for lejog this summer I will have to brave it.

We are camping and already taking shower-gel as all-purpose soap, but how should I shave? I don't want to take a brush, a mirror or anything other than the absolute minimum.

On a previous thread a bar of soap (Dove moisturiser?) with hot water was suggested, any others? Any particular tips?

(Going grizzly is NOT an option)

I thought only PRO roadies or wanabee PRO roadies on plastic bikes shaved???
There is something called Immac I believe, not having used it myself.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

OK - as someone commented that there were no female contributors...

Mr H shaves with ordinary soap on tour, and infrequently. He hates Bics and steals my razor (I have an old style twin blade style WS thing) so he doesn't have to carry one at all. Proper shaving soap is just ordinary soap with a bit of bentonite clay or similar added to make it a touch more slippery. I know this because I make my own soap, just for fun, and Mr H uses home made shaving soap every day... by choice! :shock: If you can find a 'superfatted' soap, preferably with the glycerine still in it, it will leave your skin feeling better afterwards because it leaves a moisturising layer on your skin.

Not wanting to carry a shaving brush but desiring a lather? Well, you can build up the most marvellous lather with soap and and a little water on the curly hair of your intimate portions. Probably best not to do this in public.

Immac is really, really horrible stuff.
Cachao

Post by Cachao »

As appealing as this desert island luxury is, the electric shaver is a solid no I'm afraid. Shaving well doesn't matter to me. Shaving without cutting my face to pieces and drying out my skin does.

So I see the BIC is unanimously favoured, but what about soap? Is there a way I'd be able to use the same soap (efficiently and effectively) for normal washing, shaving and pots and pans?

DougieB

Post by DougieB »

soap is soap, chemically. it's fine. just use it. your super delux shaving cream/gel/nonsense is just soap that smells different.

plenty of soap and (preferably warm) water, lather up, shave; the more lather the easier the shave. getting used to a BIC takes some getting used to. but once you do you wonder why you spent so much cash on excel/double-excel/even-doubler-excel. expect minor cuts until you get the hang of the angle (in my experience).
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

On a vaguely related note try Tesco for small size washing things for travel. Our Tesco has a complete section made up of things like little bottles of shower gel plus little empty bottles which I use for olive oil for cooking while camping. They also do a small cannister of shaving gel which I used on a recent camping trip.

I have tried the Bic razors and they just cut lumps out of me. I use WS Mach 3 blades but I agree they do clog and need frequent rinsing but this should not be a problem if you are staying in places with sinks and running water - i.e. not wild camping.

If you are staying where there are hot showers then try shaving in the shower using shower gel.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

How long are you going for? My Philips razor lasts three weeks on a full charge and doesn't weigh much either.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
delport

Post by delport »

I only shave as i look like a tramp after a few days on the road.
Another alternative for wild campers is just to use the local public toilet, the ones that normally have a coin thing at the front.You can be left in peace for 15 mins in there.And they sometimes have a good sized mirror.
Many of these places are free rather than requiring money.

Next up how to live on £7 a week [joke] :)
Cachao

Post by Cachao »

I will only be shaving when we are at campsites with hot running water.

BeeKeeper wrote:On a vaguely related note try Tesco for small size washing things for travel. Our Tesco has a complete section made up of things like little bottles of shower gel plus little empty bottles which I use for olive oil for cooking while camping. They also do a small cannister of shaving gel which I used on a recent camping trip.

I have tried the Bic razors and they just cut lumps out of me. I use WS Mach 3 blades but I agree they do clog and need frequent rinsing but this should not be a problem if you are staying in places with sinks and running water - i.e. not wild camping.

If you are staying where there are hot showers then try shaving in the shower using shower gel.

I'll look out for that miniature section next time I go to Tesco. I'm not prepared to take specific shaving gel, but which soaps are better for shaving that work well on pots and pans as well? I doubt shower gel would work well for shaving and vice versa for Dove moisturiser soap.

rualexander

Post by rualexander »

You don't need to use any soap/detergent to clean pots and pans, plain old water does a pefectly good job, preferably hot but cold will do. Just fill them with cold water straight after you've finished and leave to soak for a while before cleaning.
And you don't really need a scourer or anything either, just grab a handful of grass or other nearby vegetation and scour the pans with that.
Keep your soap for cleaning yourself, and shaving.
jochta

Post by jochta »

rualexander wrote:You don't need to use any soap/detergent to clean pots and pans, plain old water does a pefectly good job, preferably hot but cold will do. Just fill them with cold water straight after you've finished and leave to soak for a while before cleaning.
And you don't really need a scourer or anything either, just grab a handful of grass or other nearby vegetation and scour the pans with that.

I find on campsites that if you need to do some washing up go when someone else is doing theirs. Ask nicely for a small squirt of their detergent explaining that you're cycling and don't carry any due to weight etc. I've never been refused :D

John
delport

Post by delport »

rualexander wrote:You don't need to use any soap/detergent to clean pots and pans, plain old water does a pefectly good job, preferably hot but cold will do. Just fill them with cold water straight after you've finished and leave to soak for a while before cleaning.

I use my baby wipes at 17p for all pot cleaning, cutlery, as well as shaving and all general cleaning.

The solvent used on the baby wipes is mild and hasn't had any effect on me.